British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
r8gdp

What's the best race you ve seen live

Not really a classic and most people would not even consider it, but as a die-hard Hammers fan...Stan Stevens holding off Barry Briggs for 4 laps at Custom House.

Woffy in the second semi on Saturday night, still in Bydgoszcz celebrating !

best race  I ever saw. Cooper v Agostini  1970 race of the year mallory park

Edited by adonis
  • Like 1

The best race I have seen live was between Mark Loram and Billy Hamill at Poole in a meeting live on sky. They were all over the track for the whole race.

At a slightly lower standard Marcus Bisson and Gordon Kennett heat 8 of a National League fixture around 1985 or 86 also at Poole.

5 hours ago, packerman said:

The best race I have seen live was between Mark Loram and Billy Hamill at Poole in a meeting live on sky. They were all over the track for the whole race.

At a slightly lower standard Marcus Bisson and Gordon Kennett heat 8 of a National League fixture around 1985 or 86 also at Poole.

Where Loram and Hamill crashed into each other bend 4. That race is around. Either youtube or on Loramski dvd.

Found it I think, though not the Sky camera version. Onto 2 hours 29 mins.

Edited by Steve Shovlar
  • Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 11:01 PM, adonis said:

best race  I ever saw. Cooper v Agostini  1970 race of the year mallory park

Yeah, I remember it well.   Whether I would rate it as the best would be debatable.   If this question was opened up to other sports I am sure  Road Racing would have far more candidates then we get from Speedway.     Hailwood Vs Agostini (Post TT meeting), and Sheene  V Baker  ( Anglo America Challenge)  would also come into consideration.   What about Rossi  in the pouring rain at Doddington, all brilliant races that linger in the memories..    

Probably if I was asked about the best race I had ever seen,   I would pick  Dave Bickers  in the Trophy De Nations meeting at Shrubland Park in 1962     This was a meeting where all the best riders in the world  were representing their country.    A packed venue eagerly awaited the start, only  to be dismayed to see home favourite  Dave Bickers struggle to get his bike going.   He was a 100yds last as they disappeared into the woodland circuit.  It took 2 laps before he had caught up with the pack,   and in the proceeding 45 mins, he waltz  his magic through the entire field of 45 riders. to be in contention as they started the last lap.   Jeff Smith had been battling with Torsten Hallman for supremacy the whole race, but from no-where, Bickers came and conquered all in that final race to the line.    Such was the victory, the 30,000 crowd created a Buzz that everyone could feel.   They had witnessed something really special but no one believed it...

A truly, awesome performance, that in my eyes placed Bickers on a pedestal  few have ever managed to reach..