British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
June01

Lakeside memories

Somehow the current threads don't do justice to the "end of an era" stance some of us are feeling. Great result tonight, lads, and the season marches on...at Hoddesdon. So hoping to put together a collection of memories or thoughts about another track that we are about to lose.

For me, I came to Arena Essex, as it was then, after Hackney's closure, unsure about the lower league status, but soon the track became home...everything from the trek down to the pits, to the burgers on the 1st bend, to the lack of fence, to the bags of sweets at the track shop. Friends I made...

My favourite rider was always Andy Galvin, but I remember the "double" days, which made me realise the lower league team wasn't as bad as I thought! Chalky White, Bo Petersen, Brian Karger to name a few. We had some great riders though...

I shall miss the old place. :)

Edited by June01

First thing to remember is that there are a bunch of us on here who know exactly how you are feeling right now... It just makes it worse for those of us from London and the southeast.

Not only did I lose my own Wimbledon, but I was a regular at most of the other venues in the area. I can't say I was a huge fan of Arena (as it was then!), but it was close enough for me to make frequent trips.

In the early years, it was great to go there and see my old mate Dave Lanning who was announcing. One of my best memories was a triangular tournament between the Hammers, Dons, and Rockets. A miserable day, it started to pour down, but watching the old boys Johnsy and Middlo showing the rest how to ride a small track in the wet was well worth the cost of admission!

Martin Goodwin, Bob Humphreys, Ian Humphreys, Simon Wolstenholme etc... Great times and great memories.

Steve

Edited by chunky

I too went to Lakeside - or Arena Essex as it was then known - in 1984. In truth, it hasn't changed that much up to today if my rusty memory serves me correctly. It was then situated in what can only be described as a wilderness, an area of wasteland like something on the moon. That most certainly has changed :D

I think it acquired a poor reputation for racing during the Ronnie Russell years but that was most unfairly held against it once Stuart Douglas took over.  It might not be the perfect shape for a track but it was always one of my favourites and I can remember a number of occasions when a few mates have come along and been pleasantly surprised at the quality of the speedway.

Having checked with the updates site (I was texting on that occasion), my favourite meeting there was on 8 April 2016 against Poole. On an absolutely freezing cold night (I have had more than one or two in Purfleet over the years) I saw a superb meeting highlighted by a brilliant performance from Lewis Bridger. The Hammers were being beaten early on, only for Kelvin Tatum to turn up slightly late and put some real fire into them, especially Bridger.  

I, for one, am sad to see it go but wish the promotion every success at Rye House. Ride on the correct night and that could be a real winner. 

Edited by Halifaxtiger

Remember my visit to Arena Essex (1984) and being fascinated by the lack of a safety fence. It was one of a kind. Recall seeing the track marshals having to quickly dismantle the starting gate before the riders commenced lap two! I seem to remember some riders (Barry Thomas in particular) disliking the fact that there was no fence as it offered no physical barrier and/or guideline as to where the outside of the track lay. I saw a number of riders running off the track as they tried to negotiate the tight  bends.

First went back in 1984 as well.I was working in Covent Garden at the time and used to cycle out after work(as I did to Hackney)and my main memory is the cycle back to South London after the meeting along the A13 in the dark.Those first few miles seemed horrible and I only relaxed when I got back over the river.Well I only relaxed once I had navigated the Elephant roundabouts,then I was on my way home!!:drink:.I still have these geographical points where I feel as if I am now nearing home.When I come back from Denmark it is the bridge over the North /Baltic sea canal,which marks 100km from Hamburg!!I enjoyed the meetings and Martin Goodwin in particular and was quite surprised it took some stick as Steve mentioned because of the lack of safety fence,but I wasn't out there riding

And of course this often came to mind on my trips to and from Arena as it was just out at the time

Edited by iris123
  • Like 1

I started going at the end of 1988, introduced by a pal at school and until I passed my driving test I had to rely on parents to take us there, most of those early years you had the strange thing of paying on entry before you parked the car, this caused a real problem at one stage as I had very unreliable drivers electric window on my old Renault 21, we always used to joke about the state of the road leading up to the car park which was really bad until they resurfaced it many years later.

Never counted how many times I went to Arena Essex but some rough maths would suggest it would be around about 450 times I reckon over the 30 years.

Most enjoyable years were 1991, 1993 and 2003, the worst years were 1996, 2005 and 2006

I went to the very first one and also last night and over 100 in between.

Whilst it wasn't my local track with the demise of Hackney, Wimbledon, Reading, Oxford and Coventry I found myself making more visits, often battling with the M25 en route.

As I was leaving last night I thought I would try to come up with five Speedway memories so here goes:-

1) The very first meeting back in 1984 an individual won by Bob Garrad.

2) The Lee Richardson memorial meeting in 2012 won by Darcy Ward.

3) Bjarne Pedersen scoring 22 and a bonus although it was a paid maximum (due to one ride being 4 and a bonus).

4) The Glasgow Cup Finals of 1991 especially the first one that ended 90 v 90!

5) England 54 v 54 USA in 1994.

I'm sure I'll also remember much of last night especially seeing so many fans walking the track at the end!

Farewell Arena Essex/Lakeside!

Edited by WembleyLion
  • Like 3

I also went to all of those meetings Eddie, no suprise really. Arena Essex must go down as one of the most maligned tracks in British speedway, a reputation gained by the fenceless track and by casual visitors. Those of us that were purfleet regulars know the truth. Yes it was a dump, but it was also a track that could produce great racing. The last ever meeting was testament to that. Anyone who saw Darcy Ward in full flight around there will know exactly what I mean. I will miss the track, but not the journey. Rye House reopening will not compensate me for the loss of Arena Essex. You will be missed by those that loved you.

I admit to feeling quite emotional when Richard Lawson won that last heat on Friday. It wouldn't have been right for a non Hammer to win the last ever race at the Arena. It was always a venue with terrible facilities, but it was never a bad race track despite the often unfair critics it seemed to attract. As Cityrebel says, Ward was amazing around the place, as was Andreas Jonsson. So many great races and memories. I shall miss the many familiar faces that were what really made the place feel like home. It was nice to see a few of those last night at Rye House, but it was also very poignant how many regulars were not present.

As Jon Cook said on Friday, it was a dump, but it was our dump.

• Like 2

I only discovered speedway and Arena Essex in 2006 but was hooked straight away. In that time I have been privileged to watch the likes of Andreas Jonson, Adam Shields, PK, Davy Watt, Richard Lawson, Lewis Bridger and of course the Late but great Lee Richardson wear the hammers colours. Add to that Darcy, Chris Holder, Crumpy, Nikki P, Tai, Scott Nichols, and other greats riders for the opponents. Far too many Hammers and opponents to mention them all. 

My main memories, where do I start. First is probably the meeting with Swindon just 5 days after Lee Richardson died. The immense sadness of the occasion was obvious but the way the club pulled together was incredible. The memorial meeting to Lee at the seasons end with a packed Arena and a line up to do the man proud is another. 

Swindon again in 2008, and our only home league defeat of the season when a young unheard of Croatian by the name Jurica Pavlic turned up and having never seen the place before promptly banged in a 7 ride max that had the Hammers fans applauding. Any meeting involving Darcy and Chris Holder together was always memorable, and the meeting where Coventry beat us (2011?) and their fans were gloating on the way out, only for the meeting to be awarded to Hammers as Eddie Kennet had tampered with his silencers....

And  then of course Friday, v Glasgow. Pulling up in that great big car park for the last time it finally dawned on me, this IS the last time. Going to the same window at the ticket office and paying my money to the same lady, Buying my last coffee and cake from the ever smiling Rose in the diner, and then taking my position on the stock car track and chewing the fat with the same faces who have become good friends for those years. Debating what artefacts we could nick from the stadium, ( I eventually decided against a urinal - Mrs E would not be impressed) and then having watched another great meeting, doing the track walk a scooping up some shale which now forms part of my garden. 

It was then goodbyes and promises to keep in touch (We live far and wide) and to try to get to Rye House when we can. 

The drive home was a sad one, having driven down the long drive to the roundabout by the services and then a feeling of sadness as I left. 

I will miss the old girl. She was never the most attractive of venues but she has given plenty of pleasure to many people, and she was rough around the edges but had a certain charm. ( Sounds like a few women I have known over the years). She  provided great entertainment, and she will be missed. 

Thanks for the memories. 

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, Eyejay said:

I only discovered speedway and Arena Essex in 2006 but was hooked straight away. In that time I have been privileged to watch the likes of Andreas Jonson, Adam Shields, PK, Davy Watt, Richard Lawson, Lewis Bridger and of course the Late but great Lee Richardson wear the hammers colours. Add to that Darcy, Chris Holder, Crumpy, Nikki P, Tai, Scott Nichols, and other greats riders for the opponents. Far too many Hammers and opponents to mention them all. 

My main memories, where do I start. First is probably the meeting with Swindon just 5 days after Lee Richardson died. The immense sadness of the occasion was obvious but the way the club pulled together was incredible. The memorial meeting to Lee at the seasons end with a packed Arena and a line up to do the man proud is another. 

Swindon again in 2008, and our only home league defeat of the season when a young unheard of Croatian by the name Jurica Pavlic turned up and having never seen the place before promptly banged in a 7 ride max that had the Hammers fans applauding. Any meeting involving Darcy and Chris Holder together was always memorable, and the meeting where Coventry beat us (2011?) and their fans were gloating on the way out, only for the meeting to be awarded to Hammers as Eddie Kennet had tampered with his silencers....

And  then of course Friday, v Glasgow. Pulling up in that great big car park for the last time it finally dawned on me, this IS the last time. Going to the same window at the ticket office and paying my money to the same lady, Buying my last coffee and cake from the ever smiling Rose in the diner, and then taking my position on the stock car track and chewing the fat with the same faces who have become good friends for those years. Debating what artefacts we could nick from the stadium, ( I eventually decided against a urinal - Mrs E would not be impressed) and then having watched another great meeting, doing the track walk a scooping up some shale which now forms part of my garden. 

It was then goodbyes and promises to keep in touch (We live far and wide) and to try to get to Rye House when we can. 

The drive home was a sad one, having driven down the long drive to the roundabout by the services and then a feeling of sadness as I left. 

I will miss the old girl. She was never the most attractive of venues but she has given plenty of pleasure to many people, and she was rough around the edges but had a certain charm. ( Sounds like a few women I have known over the years). She  provided great entertainment, and she will be missed. 

Thanks for the memories. 

Very well said. After a hard week at work last Friday sort of passed me by. I took a few pics, reminisced in the bar with my mates, and took my place on the back straight. The long delays did take their toll, and I felt tired at the end of the evening. The sad part never hit me until the following night at Rye. It felt like a journey had ended for me, not a new one beginning.

• Like 1

I don’t watch much live speedway these days but I had to get off my backside to see the last speedway meeting ever at Arena. I went along with my dad and took my son who is 7 and we thoroughly enjoyed the night, although we missed the last heat as it just got too late for my boy. 

It was a very emotional night and we reminissed about the past for the majority of it, things such as:

Leigh Adams turning up to the raceway with Poole when he first arrived in the UK, at reserve on a 2.00 average! Also the day Leigh signed for us and reading of the signing in the Romford recorder. 

Brian Karger being signed and his rides with Bo , and the moment we opened the speedway star after having it delivered on the eve of the new season (91)and the opening 2 pages ‘ARENA SAVED’ sprawled across them. 

Moggo blasting around the outside of Roman Matiusek vs Coventry in the Inter league Cup (or whatever it was called)

Andreas Jonnson’s many passes from the back and just how good he was around our track. 

I could go on all night but truly had a tear in my eye as I walked out and had to explain to my son just why I was so upset! 

I will be going to the last banger meeting of the season to see the place for the final final time

Pavlic was European champion and had been in a GP the year(2007)before signing for Swindon