British Speedway Forum

25 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

Plus Magic if he doesn`t pull out will get what`s left- drawn by the jury president

I doubt the draw will matter much bar the bogey number 1.   If Phil Morris does his job right the gates should be even.   The fastest rider will win no matter what gate they have in most races.

I'm interested to hear the reason why the fastest 2 or 3 riders pick there starting number.   Could be some wise words or maybe no wise words at all.   Has any rider got a statsistican to work out the best gate order for each GP .   If they have no stratagy thenn the draw pick is pointless.

These are the win stats for previous meetings.

Warsaw 2018: A - 8, C - 7, B - 5, D - 3.

Warsaw 2017: C - 7, A and D - 6, B - 4.

Warsaw 2016: C - 11, A and D - 5, B - 2.

Warsaw 2015: D - 5, A - 3, B and C - 2 each.

Riders will probably try to avoid a draw number that gives them two gate 4's.  Two gate 3's wouldn't be a bad shout and number 10 will probably get picked early.

10 was always a popular starting number in World Finals, and clever riders often used to try and engineer their finishing position in the Inter Continental final once they'd qualified to gain an advantageous draw number in the World Final.

10 minutes ago, CB252 said:

Riders will probably try to avoid a draw number that gives them two gate 4's.  Two gate 3's wouldn't be a bad shout and number 10 will probably get picked early.

10 was always a popular starting number in World Finals, and clever riders often used to try and engineer their finishing position in the Inter Continental final once they'd qualified to gain an advantageous draw number in the World Final.

Interesting that white doesn`t come out too bad- Gate 3 i would have thought would stastically not be a good gate at most tracks. I suppose it`s going to interesting if the  Gorzow v Wroclaw match goes ahead, who will be the fastest. My guess would be Lindgren.

Edited by racers and royals

1 minute ago, racers and royals said:

Interesting that white doesn`t come out too bad- Gate 3 i would have thought would stastically not be a good gate at most tracks. I suppose it`s going to interesting if if Gorzow v Wroclaw match goes ahead, who will be the fastest. My guess would be Lindgren.

Vaculik possibly based on what I've seen of him this season.

7 hours ago, teaboy279 said:

Deffo worth going. Drop me a PM if you want to meet up for a beer over the weekend.

Thanks for the offer, but will be in a group meeting up for a 30 year reunion, met on way to Munich in 1989 !!

Can't wait for Pearson to explain the new qualifying system and then to tell the viewers that the best 2 riders in the World won't be taking part. Will be like Formula 1 qualifying without Hamilton and Vettel. This was an accident waiting to happen. Either qualifying has to involve all the riders in the meeting or we need to go back to the draw.

5 hours ago, CB252 said:

Gates mean nothing unless the gate is proven as a shocking option with the rider 10 yards behind the rest when getting to the first bend.   The gate stat that is important is who wins which is normally the fastest rider.     If there was no passing we might as well have one lap races.

I feel transponders and starting picks are pointless.  If Woffy has the worst gate he'll still be beat most riders as he's got the quickest bike and rides it better than anyone else.

Edited by Mark

10 hours ago, CB252 said:

I think given a pick most riders will try and get 2 x gate 1s

What's that about the intercontinental final? How did that relate to the world final start positions?

52 minutes ago, James Carter said:

I think given a pick most riders will try and get 2 x gate 1s

What's that about the intercontinental final? How did that relate to the world final start positions?

Because back in the day world final start numbers were pre allocated for the semi final stage ie continental  final, inter CF so that riders knew for instance that  the Icf winner would ride at 6 runner-up 12 (made up to illistrate the point)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, racers and royals said:

Because back in the day world final start numbers were pre allocated for the semi final stage ie continental  final, inter CF so that riders knew for instance that  the Icf winner would ride at 6 runner-up 12 (made up to illistrate the point)

Really? I never knew that. Might have to start a new thread topic with these sorts of questions

33 minutes ago, James Carter said:

Really? I never knew that. Might have to start a new thread topic with these sorts of questions

That’s a good idea- my question would be do Gorzow and Zielona Gora like each other. Do Torun and Grudziadz  like each other lol

• Haha 2

I would imagine as the season develops and the contenders for the title emerge the number pick will become more interesting as if you pick after your rival you can effectively decide which gate you will race against them - e.g. championship leader is in gate 4 in heat 12, you could ensure you had the inside of them.

Of course it could also involve a lot of overthinking for very narrow gains.

Rico :rolleyes:

Edited by Rico

3 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

That’s a good idea- my question would be do Gorzow and Zielona Gora like each other. Do Torun and Grudziadz  like each other lol

Zielona Gora and any other club ;)

Torun and Bydgoszcz was always interesting before the Bydgoszcz downfall.

Didn't Ivan Mauger say one year he purposely finished in a certain qualifying place to get the number he wanted in the World final. Can't remember if it worked out for him

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

Do they?