British Speedway Forum

6 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

Do you think that will affect the racing?

It has a roof.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mark said:

It has a roof.  

I knew it had a roof when I posted my reply to Topaz325. I thought it strange that he/she mentioned weather not looking good in Warsaw over the weekend. Usually on the lead up to a gp there is concern if the track is open to all weather, but knowing Warsaw is rain proof I just thought it a strange comment.

Edited by OveFundinFan

9 hours ago, racers and royals said:

My view has always been consistent with yours,however as Armando Castagna said when interviewed the FIM didn`t want to wage war with the Extraleague. Reading between the lines i think they feared a wholesale withdrawal of riders from the GP. As i have stated previously the Extraleague even fell out with the Polish federation(PZM) over fixture scheduling !!!

Something needs to be done to break the Polish stranglehold it has at the moment. It obviously can and does cause a big problem at times with speedway fixtures in the ok, what with them demanding riders go for practice sessions when they may not get a chance to ride there. Obviously big money rules. looking  over the last 60 years of speedway, it’s clear there has been a cycle of nations domineering - Sweden, uk, USA, Denmark, add in Australia and New Zealand, now Poland, so logic says there will be another domineering country, then Polish speedway will no longer be number 1.. the only satisfying thing at the moment Is they don’t know how to produce individual world champions at senior level like the other domineering countries did. The GP series has to be the top individual event, to be a world champion must be every professional riders dream. Sure GP has it’s downfalls (not always the top riders being one), but no country should try to put its own interests above it, yet Poland seems to do that. The money pit may well soon dry up in Poland, who knows. Who the next nation to domineering will be, I don’t know. But just watch the uk as it now seems to have a brace of young hopefuls starting with Robert Lambert and Dan Bewley. As they develop, and others, it would be sad to see them snatched away from British speedway, or only compete in the uk on lower quality machinery. Something has to break the Polish stranglehold. Maybe rather then just make it a rule riders HAVE to attend practice/qualifying, give the fastest qualifying  rider a world championship point as well as pick of riding number. One point at the end of the year could make a difference as to who is the world champ. I notice in F1 this that the extra point for fastest lap in the race is now being fiercely contested. Something has to be done.

2 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

Something needs to be done to break the Polish stranglehold it has at the moment. It obviously can and does cause a big problem at times with speedway fixtures in the ok, what with them demanding riders go for practice sessions when they may not get a chance to ride there. Obviously big money rules. looking  over the last 60 years of speedway, it’s clear there has been a cycle of nations domineering - Sweden, uk, USA, Denmark, add in Australia and New Zealand, now Poland, so logic says there will be another domineering country, then Polish speedway will no longer be number 1.. the only satisfying thing at the moment Is they don’t know how to produce individual world champions at senior level like the other domineering countries did. The GP series has to be the top individual event, to be a world champion must be every professional riders dream. Sure GP has it’s downfalls (not always the top riders being one), but no country should try to put its own interests above it, yet Poland seems to do that. The money pit may well soon dry up in Poland, who knows. Who the next nation to domineering will be, I don’t know. But just watch the uk as it now seems to have a brace of young hopefuls starting with Robert Lambert and Dan Bewley. As they develop, and others, it would be sad to see them snatched away from British speedway, or only compete in the uk on lower quality machinery. Something has to break the Polish stranglehold. Maybe rather then just make it a rule riders HAVE to attend practice/qualifying, give the fastest qualifying  rider a world championship point as well as pick of riding number. One point at the end of the year could make a difference as to who is the world champ. I notice in F1 this that the extra point for fastest lap in the race is now being fiercely contested. Something has to be done.

I`m not sure the Polish bubble will burst anytime soon. The new TV contract with all 4 matches per round shown live is worth mega bucks to the teams and the crowds attending just get more and more. This whole Friday night racing is actually 100% down to the new TV contract with Eleven Sport joining N Sport in showing- They couldn`t obviously show all the matches live on the Sunday, so Friday was the day they chose.I think the FIM were hoping that the GP riders as a collective body would have stood together and said to the clubs- "we do not want to miss GP practice "!! however money talks and it didn`t happen.

• Like 1

I really don't think the FIM would be wise to make things awkward for Extraliga riders / clubs. It's a battle they are unlikely to win and so I can't see it happening

Pretty sure the SEC would welcome any black listed riders with open arms

Magic out then? What a shame who was next in line Fricke or MM ?

1 minute ago, James Carter said:

I really don't think the FIM would be wise to make things awkward for Extraliga riders / clubs. It's a battle they are unlikely to win and so I can't see it happening

Pretty sure the SEC would welcome any black listed riders with open arms

Magic out then? What a shame who was next in line Fricke or MM ?

Fricke rides- but misses practice as he rides for Wroclaw tonight.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

I knew it had a roof when I posted my reply to Topaz325. I thought it strange that he/she mentioned weather not looking good in Warsaw over the weekend. Usually on the lead up to a gp there is concern if the track is open to all weather, but knowing Warsaw is rain proof I just thought it a strange comment.

The track is waterproof, humans aren't... lol. I would assume they poster mentioned it because it affects drinking in the old town square or the beach bars etc. And not that Warsaw fan zone is worth mentioning but poor weather would of affected that too.

They would have been my reasons for mentioning the weather.

That said the Poles did forget to close the roof a few years ago and the footy got Rained off.

According to my copy of What's On TV, BT Sport are not showing the GP tomorrow.

1 minute ago, Heathcote said:

It’s on BT Sport/ESPN sky channel 423

Many thanks. I don't have Sky so presumably I can't get this any other way.

It’s being shown on the BT Sport app, so if you have a BT sport subscription you can watch via, pc laptop iPad etc

6 minutes ago, Heathcote said:

It’s being shown on the BT Sport app, so if you have a BT sport subscription you can watch via, pc laptop iPad etc

Well done and thank you.

22 minutes ago, customhouseregular said:

According to my copy of What's On TV, BT Sport are not showing the GP tomorrow.

408 6:30 this evening live

411 tomorrow night live

2 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

Conversely, if the FIM and the organisers of the GP were to start rewarding World Championship competitors with the prize money they deserve, rather than just expecting them to ride for a pittance 'because it's the World Championship' they could also go a long way to alleviating the conflict of interest.

The Ekstraliga is currently a better organised product with better sponsors and better TV contracts and pays the top riders a wage they deserve.

Also, how do you see the Polish stranglehold being broken? And why should they be concerned about producing individual World Champions? We've produced one, but he rides there, not here, and swells their crowds.