British Speedway Forum

Okay, just doing a little checking...  The individual placings (race wins etc) are shown, but here is the breakdown of points for each round of races during the 20 qualifying heats.  Yes, gate 4 was the worst, but other than heats 5-8, it was remarkably consistent (and not consistently bad either).  This was the only really lopsided round of the evening (largely in favour of blue, and against yellow), and you can't really pinpoint the reason. 

Heats 5-8 were the only time that Gate 4 produced the fewest points.

The inside two gates outscored the outside gates by 69 to 51.

However, in two of the five rounds (1-4, and 17-20), Gates 3 and 4 outscored the inside two!

There are so many factors involved here, but overall, I would say that gate-wise, this was probably one of the most balanced GP's I've seen.

Heats 1-4
R - 3, B - 8, W - 7, Y - 6
Heats 5-8
R - 4, B - 11, W - 7, Y - 2
Heats 9-12
R - 9, B - 8. W - 3, Y - 4
Heats 13-16
R - 8, B - 8, W - 3, Y - 5
Heats 17-20
R - 5, B - 5, W - 8, Y - 6

Steve

1 hour ago, chunky said:

Okay, just doing a little checking...  The individual placings (race wins etc) are shown, but here is the breakdown of points for each round of races during the 20 qualifying heats.  Yes, gate 4 was the worst, but other than heats 5-8, it was remarkably consistent (and not consistently bad either).  This was the only really lopsided round of the evening (largely in favour of blue, and against yellow), and you can't really pinpoint the reason. 

Heats 5-8 were the only time that Gate 4 produced the fewest points.

The inside two gates outscored the outside gates by 69 to 51.

However, in two of the five rounds (1-4, and 17-20), Gates 3 and 4 outscored the inside two!

There are so many factors involved here, but overall, I would say that gate-wise, this was probably one of the most balanced GP's I've seen.

Heats 1-4
R - 3, B - 8, W - 7, Y - 6
Heats 5-8
R - 4, B - 11, W - 7, Y - 2
Heats 9-12
R - 9, B - 8. W - 3, Y - 4
Heats 13-16
R - 8, B - 8, W - 3, Y - 5
Heats 17-20
R - 5, B - 5, W - 8, Y - 6

Steve

So at the draw after qualifying a clever rider should have picked a draw number with outside gates in round 1(heats 1-4) and round 5 (17-20) and inside the other 3 rounds(5-8,9-12,13-16)

easy :D

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, mikebv said:

What a magnificent sport this definitely is when done 'properly'...

If only we could replicate something like this passion and fire to win on UK tracks instead of the invariably pale and uninteresting procession we mostly suffer. Clearly, it is possible to get close enough to pass or be in a position to pass if your opponent makes a mistake ( or you can force an error ) on almost any track. But you have to want to! And not be prepared to just settle for your next chance to make the gate.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, waytogo28 said:

If only we could replicate something like this passion and fire to win on UK tracks instead of the invariably pale and uninteresting procession we mostly suffer. Clearly, it is possible to get close enough to pass or be in a position to pass if your opponent makes a mistake ( or you can force an error ) on almost any track. But you have to want to! And not be prepared to just settle for your next chance to make the gate.

If we had these calibre of riders in every race maybe we would, come on now this is the World Championship, it should provide the best racing!

1 hour ago, racers and royals said:

So at the draw after qualifying a clever rider should have picked a draw number with outside gates in round 1(heats 1-4) and round 5 (17-20) and inside the other 3 rounds(5-8,9-12,13-16)

easy :D

Its who gets to the first or second bend first not the result that matters.

2 hours ago, Trees said:

If we had these calibre of riders in every race maybe we would, come on now this is the World Championship, it should provide the best racing!

As like so often, you're missing the point.    If the track was prepared better, then the  racing would be much more enjoyable, regardless of the quality of the rider.  

A blind man would recognise that , even if those wearing tinted shades can't ….

NB.  I thought Robert Lambert did exceptionally well.    A future SGP star in the making , without a doubt......:t:

Edited by g13webb

7 hours ago, Trees said:

However, after taking out Lambert R., Jason Doyle and Max Fricke the other riders are all much of a muchness so they should be able to race well against each other and provide similar racing and passing attributes ( not so quickly of course ) but I see so little eagerness from them to give chase. Not enough dosh or status on offer I suppose, to get them fired up and taking the risks.

1 hour ago, waytogo28 said:

However, after taking out Lambert R., Jason Doyle and Max Fricke the other riders are all much of a muchness so they should be able to race well against each other and provide similar racing and passing attributes ( not so quickly of course ) but I see so little eagerness from them to give chase. Not enough dosh or status on offer I suppose, to get them fired up and taking the risks.

What am I missing !     Lambert got to the semi final and Doyle had a broken rib.    

Tai's move on lap 1 in Heat 4 was brutal on Laguta.     Down firmly shut and Laguta given no room up the fence.    I'm a big fan of Woffinden but I hope not to hear any bleating if any other rider does something similar to him.

There has to be something wrong with a scoring system when Leon Madsen or anybody else can win a GP when he only won one race all night. The old individual world championship scoring system was far superior as it was a true test .Under the old 20 heat scoring Patrick Dudek would have been the winner and Leon Madsen only 8th

Edited by mickthemuppet

8 minutes ago, mickthemuppet said:

There has to be something wrong with a scoring system when Leon Madsen or anybody else can win a GP when he only won one race all night. The old individual world championship scoring system was far superior as it was a true test .Under the old 20 heat scoring Patrick Dudek would have been the winner and Leon Madsen only 8th

I don't agree with the system for determining the winner of an individual GP, but it comes down to the modern desire to have playoffs and finals for everything "in order to maintain interest".  However, the overall system for determining the World Champion is far superior to - and much fairer than - the old system. I'm just pleased that winning a GP doesn't count toward the overall championship.

Steve

20 minutes ago, mickthemuppet said:

But what did he actually win apart from a meaningless trophy?

He finished 4th in the points standings which is all that matters. I think the current system devalues winning the GP and personally preferred the old eliminator system with A & B finals where points were allocated to your finishing position. The current system favours consistency over the series rather than out & out winners.

Edited by AFCB Wildcat
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

CONSISTENCY is the name of the game ... ask Mark Loram

My whole point; the overall system is a lot fairer, and minimises the luck aspect.  I just feel it is a strange way to determine the winner of an individual GP when you can achieve that by winning just one race!  As I have stated before, it would be possible for a rider to win every single GP - and not even finish in the Top 8 at the end of the season!  No, it will never happen, but yes, I have done the maths.

I see no reason to not adopt the standard 20-heat format, and forget about the semis and finals...  if you really want to keep the interest to the very last heat, you could just change the order of heats 17-20 to ensure that the leader (or at least one of the joint leaders) after heat 16 came out in the last race.

Steve

11 hours ago, Trees said:

It's not down entirely to the calibre of the riders, but the fact that they're all quite equal in terms of standard and ability

Sadly, in UK leagues, there's such a big disparity in standard and ability across the riders who fill the teams that the majority of races produce unexciting processions with a large distances between first and fourth

Because of the regular exposure to OOFC, customers now expect similar standards of competitiveness in each and every UK race meeting, something it is nigh on impossible to replicate