British Speedway Forum

44 minutes ago, Midland Red said:

It's not down entirely to the calibre of the riders, but the fact that they're all quite equal in terms of standard and ability

Sadly, in UK leagues, there's such a big disparity in standard and ability across the riders who fill the teams that the majority of races produce unexciting processions with a large distances between first and fourth

Because of the regular exposure to OOFC, customers now expect similar standards of competitiveness in each and every UK race meeting, something it is nigh on impossible to replicate

Does that stand for out of flipping control ??

I thought it was an exciting  meeting. Last couple years Krsko was too early, riders not had a chance to settle into racing. This year starting later and at a good race track worked well. No one rider dominated, which was good.

interesting to see the detail of which bike riders were using. Highlighted which riders had there bikes sorted from the beginning. Think at least Tai tried 3 bikes, and not one of them was a winner.

There is excitement having top 8 into the semis and then final, but really good to see the cream racing each other. However it’s odd seeing someone win the trophy when it’s only their first win of the night. But it’s points at end of year that matter.

THERE is, of course, the TV element. TV companies want a final race to determine the winner of each SGP rather than have the meeting lose steam at the end. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PHILIPRISING said:

THERE is, of course, the TV element. TV companies want a final race to determine the winner of each SGP rather than have the meeting lose steam at the end. 

At the end of the day, that's the crux of the matter. TV bosses these days want a finale to their sports events, whether it's an end of season Super Bowl, Champions League Final or whatever. If they get a Premier League going down to the last day, it's a bonus.

On a more event based basis, they want each GP to have a winner, so they can promote it for the next one, to try to attract viewers.

and as a viewer i enjoy the semi finals and final. it adds tension and excitement. no issue from my side with gp winner potentially being the 8th highest scorer, ultimately that's not important,  the main aim for riders getting the most points towards the title. i think current point system is perfect, would be very disapointed if they tinkered with it.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, waiheke1 said:

and as a viewer i enjoy the semi finals and final. it adds tension and excitement. no issue from my side with gp winner potentially being the 8th highest scorer, ultimately that's not important,  the main aim for riders getting the most points towards the title. i think current point system is perfect, would be very disapointed if they tinkered with it.

As far as the overall points system, I agree 100%, and I really don't get how so many seem to think that the old system was "far superior"...

Steve

3 hours ago, Midland Red said:

It's not down entirely to the calibre of the riders, but the fact that they're all quite equal in terms of standard and ability

Sadly, in UK leagues, there's such a big disparity in standard and ability across the riders who fill the teams that the majority of races produce unexciting processions with a large distances between first and fourth

Because of the regular exposure to OOFC, customers now expect similar standards of competitiveness in each and every UK race meeting, something it is nigh on impossible to replicate

Yeah, bloody GP series has spoilt the fans and to some extent the riders ..... have thought that for many years .... Of course the riders in the GP series are all of a similar calibre ..... and of course British teams are made up of different calibre riders, but then it should be all about your team, your club not just individual riders.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PHILIPRISING said:

Yes, absolutely that's the reason and also the reason for the playoffs in the Premiership of domestic speedway but in the playoffs it's winner takes all regardless of the points scored over the season. I do get that the GP format takes away the injustices that the playoffs sometimes produce and I don't have a major problem with it but I just think it devalues winning the individual events if the winner doesn't take maximum points from the event.

Also how often have we seen riders happy to follow the leader in the final as they have a sufficient buffer in the overall standings and only 1 extra point at stake to go for the win. I thought the double points final was at least some way of addressing this and rewarding the rider who won the final when the pressure was on.

1 hour ago, AFCB Wildcat said:

Yes, absolutely that's the reason and also the reason for the playoffs in the Premiership of domestic speedway but in the playoffs it's winner takes all regardless of the points scored over the season. I do get that the GP format takes away the injustices that the playoffs sometimes produce and I don't have a major problem with it but I just think it devalues winning the individual events if the winner doesn't take maximum points from the event.

Also how often have we seen riders happy to follow the leader in the final as they have a sufficient buffer in the overall standings and only 1 extra point at stake to go for the win. I thought the double points final was at least some way of addressing this and rewarding the rider who won the final when the pressure was on.

but the whole point is that winning an individual GP isnt the main thing - its an added incentive only. I'd much rather that than the alternative that someone winning all rides and failing in the final gets less points than someone who scrapes through to the semis but wins the final.

id also disagree that riders are happy to follow the leader in the final - id say that onlt happens if they have a close rival also in the final, coming behind them. Seem to recall Woffy pulling out a stunning from the back win in a final last year  and finals typically are hard fought affairs. 

6 hours ago, chunky said:

it would be possible for a rider to win every single GP - and not even finish in the Top 8 at the end of the season!  No, it will never happen, but yes, I have done the maths.

11 points a round. 7 qualify + 2 semi + 3 final. Podium. Surely.

46 minutes ago, Col said:

reality yes. but theoretically you could qualify for every final with 4 points. so 9 points a round. i think it's theoretically possible you could win every round and finish 15th overall!!!

Madson said in his podium interview that he was sorting out the setup all evening and I would have to say that he had it pretty well sorted in the final. Would anyone argue after watching the replay that he didn't have the fastest bike in the final and IMO would have passed Freddie on the outside run in the next lap or two? Give the guy a little credit, he won by nearly a half a straightaway,

Unfortunately, that's the only race I've seen as a Youtube viewer and am looking forward to seeing the whole thing. Also, hats off to Iverson, glad to see him back up there.

3 hours ago, Col said:

Nope...

What waiheke1 said! Again, I did the maths...

Steve