British Speedway Forum

THE legendary Trevor Redmond used to promote stock cars at St Austell. En route to the track from his London home he would more often than not call in to see Barry Briggs and "borrow" one of Briggo's magnificent trophies that he had acquired during his career. TR would place it in full view on the centre green at St A and the drivers would assume that it was up for grabs that evening. At the meeting's conclusion, TR would present the winner with a cheap little trophy he had bought in somewhere like Woolworth and drop Briggo's back to him on the way home. Loved that man ... could tell stories all night long.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

I went to stock cars once at the old par moor. I also went four times to the moto parc. What a fantastic venue it was, definitely one of my all time favourites. It was not an easy track to find, tucked away down numerous country lanes.

• Like 1

You would have thought there would be plenty of opportunity to open another track in Cornwall, with all it's uninhabited land! But then, you have to find a promoter interested and of course NIMBYs are in all counties! :neutral:

22 hours ago, Ray Stadia said:

You would have thought there would be plenty of opportunity to open another track in Cornwall, with all it's uninhabited land! But then, you have to find a promoter interested and of course NIMBYs are in all counties! :neutral:

There was an application for a track near Bodmin some years ago. There were objections from several people living in Sussex on the basis of the noise :barking:

On 9/20/2018 at 7:25 PM, ancient mariner said:

There was an application for a track near Bodmin some years ago. There were objections from several people living in Sussex on the basis of the noise :barking:

The Bodmin application got rejected  because the national trust complained it would spoil peoples enjoyment of Lanhydroc house  about 2 miles away ,  cant really see how it could TBH because the house and gardens closes at 4.30 , 

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 9:41 AM, adonis said:

The Bodmin application got rejected  because the national trust complained it would spoil peoples enjoyment of Lanhydroc house  about 2 miles away ,  cant really see how it could TBH because the house and gardens closes at 4.30 , 

Certainly that was the story at the time. I may be wrong, but my understanding is that it subsequently came to light that objections by a person or persons were made using National Trust headed stationery; the National Trust denied ever making an objection. If this is true then it only goes to prove how low people will stoop.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ancient mariner said:

Certainly that was the story at the time. I may be wrong, but my understanding is that it subsequently came to light that objections by a person or persons were made using National Trust headed stationery; the National Trust denied ever making an objection. If this is true then it only goes to prove how low people will stoop.

and of course if it's true . why did the potential promotion  leave it at that ,  their main objector proved to be a fake  the council would have had to re-consider .

1 minute ago, adonis said:

and of course if it's true . why did the potential promotion  leave it at that ,  their main objector proved to be a fake  the council would have had to re-consider .

I think it only came to light a good while after the application was made and the potential promotion no longer existed

1 minute ago, ancient mariner said:

I think it only came to light a good while after the application was made and the potential promotion no longer existed

oh right ,  this was the rugby club I believe ?   so actually if there was a budding promotion the site could well be still viable

4 minutes ago, adonis said:

oh right ,  this was the rugby club I believe ?   so actually if there was a budding promotion the site could well be still viable

You are correct, it was at a site adjacent to the rugby club. It is possible that a budding promotion might be able to resurrect an application, but I suspect the troubles of Plymouth's recent promotion would be enough to dissuade anyone from trying.

Edited by ancient mariner

On 9/16/2018 at 8:21 AM, PHILIPRISING said:

THE legendary Trevor Redmond used to promote stock cars at St Austell. En route to the track from his London home he would more often than not call in to see Barry Briggs and "borrow" one of Briggo's magnificent trophies that he had acquired during his career. TR would place it in full view on the centre green at St A and the drivers would assume that it was up for grabs that evening. At the meeting's conclusion, TR would present the winner with a cheap little trophy he had bought in somewhere like Woolworth and drop Briggo's back to him on the way home. Loved that man ... could tell stories all night long.

While that is an amusing story, it's exactly that type of promotion that has led to Speedway becoming some scruffy amateur sideshow that the national media (and therefore everyone else) now ignores

49 minutes ago, Hammer said:

While that is an amusing story, it's exactly that type of promotion that has led to Speedway becoming some scruffy amateur sideshow that the national media (and therefore everyone else) now ignores

IT was stockcars ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2