British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Gavan

2018 Season Highs & Lows

I know the season isnt over but what do people think of the season so far? What are the highs and lows? Who has been good and who has been poor.

HIGHS

Peterborough, Workington & Berwick..................3 sides i didnt expect to be where they were in the league so whatever happens from here on then each club can be proud of their seasons.

Craig Cook..............good to have a rider of his quality back in the division, will draw crowds wherever he rides............and gets beat

Erik Riss...........the potential is there to dominate this league before moving on to better things

Drew Kemp.......................yes he rides for my team but what a prospect

Tom Bacon...................proving the fans wrong, lets just hope he comes back fit next year

Adam Ellis............showing his true potential

LOWS

Sheffield, Scunthorpe & Ipswixh............3 sides who should have done much much better, though the last 2 had huge injury worries

Cameron Heeps.................had the potential to be a heat leader and failed to step up................big season next year wherever he may ride

Lewis Rose...............hope he can sort his issues out and get sorted for next year.............saw him at Ipswich and never seen a rider so disinterested sad to see.

Im sure many people have many others

For us at Scunny, cant really say we have too many highs, making the semis of the Championship Shield and KOC...

Injuries for us have cost us this season, and has been the talk in the terraces of what could have happened if they all stayed fit...

For the league in general it's pleasing to see teams like Berwick and Workington in the top, teams not normally up there battling for the playoffs.

Its also amazing to see some up and coming riders like Drew Kemp coming up and doing so well in the league, looking forward to seeing riders like Anders Rowe, Jordan Jenkins, Tom Brennan etc come into the league in the next few years too

• Like 1

Great to see Berwick and Workington do well in the league, for Glasgow our low was losing Lewis Kerr as he was having a great season, but the upside to that is having Craig Cook join us, he has been inspirational in turning our season around and is a delight to watch as well as being an absolute gentleman with giving time to fans. Drew Kemp what a prospect that young man is, he was amazing at Glasgow. Lows are all the injuries this year which have affected teams and the closure of Rye House and Lakeside having to move home

• Like 1

At Workington the biggest low, the sickening crash that ended Dan Bewleys season.

The high........hopefully it’s still to come!!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Gavan said:

Peterborough, Workington & Berwick..................3 sides i didnt expect to be where they were in the league so whatever happens from here on then each club can be proud of their seasons.

….and one side no-one expected to be where they are.....SHEFFIELD!!! (not to mention the ridiculous decision by promoters to shorten the season to just 15 league and cup matches, meaning the season was over whilst the kids were still in the middle of their summer holidays).

• Like 2

As far as speedway in Britain goes. it's hard to find many highs apart  from  Rob Lambert and Dan Bewley .

Highs -

Seeing the u19 final at Ipswich was certainly a high

Some real talent there right through the field with Drew Kemp and Leon Flint particularly exciting prospects outside the obvious Dan Bewley. I just hope Ipswich can ensure Drew sticks around as he wont be short of offers.

If not that will be 2019s first low!!

Robert Lambert making a big leap forward also for me

Lows -

Injuries of course.

At Ipswich there have been plenty -almost too many to list but with Danny King a big concern for me

Hope also that the big knock (understatement) for Dan Bewley doesnt stall his progress too much

Highs

- The best action at Ashfield in years, the new track shape is fantastic and some remedial work on the base over the Winter should make it even better. 

- The test match with Tai Woffinden. Meeting itself fell flat but the build up and pre meeting atmosphere were superb. 

- The World Under 21 Team Championship lots of new talent to watch and keep tabs on. Jan Kvech was a new one to me with Lidsey as impressive. 

- Tuesday feared the worst got the best! 

Lows - 

- Stewart Dickson cutting ties with the Tigers. A massive figure at the club who I always enjoyed listening to. 

- Richie Worrall for similar reasons to Stewart, to see him struggling on a track he previously bossed at times was baffling. 

- Lewi Kerr getting another huge injury. Lovely guy deserves better. 

Overall

This has been my favourite season for a while purely because I am watching some superb speedway. 

Edited by Fingersfin
  • Like 5