British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Solidmango

Play offs

6 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

Talk tonight that we race at home on the 6th glasgow want to race on the sunday , cook would be missing sat night and they can use a guest, we would have klint missing on the sunday  no guest ?? Nl replacement hope the  bspa force glasgow go race on their chosen race day of friday .

I think that Glasgow having finished above Workington at the cut-off date get to pick whether they want the first leg or second leg. I would be surprised if Glasgow wanted the 1st leg. So there would appear to be 2 options hold the play-off the same weekend, Glasgow's main alternative race day is a Sunday  or Glasgow would race the following week which would drag the play-offs on even longer. Having fixed a cut-off deadline the BSPA should also have fixed the weeks for the play-offs and they should be the number one priority. The Shield and KO cup fixtures should also have had a deadline and if so we wouldn't be in this shambles.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, MANSE said:

After reading the latest posts on this thread I decided to do a exercise on the two Saturday tracks Berwick race night Saturday Workington race night Saturday alternative night Friday,From  Sat 7/4 to Sat 30/6  is 13 Saturdays Berwick raced 10 meetings 1 rained off,  2 with no meeting.  Workington  raced 4 meetings { 2 v Glasgow 1 v Edin  1 v BER  on a Friday ) 1 rained off  and 8 with no meetings . Looking at these facts Berwick 2 no meetings, Workington 8 no meetings in the same period nothing to do with Godfrey and Chapman if Berwick can do it [young promotion ] why cant Workington do it now await all the flak but  figures do not lie 

:rolleyes: Need to look behind the figures oh clever one (not)  ...you haven’t a clue about what goes on in the background all looks so simple , had Glasgow been good enough to be in any other competitions you would see it from a very different angle . Was made very public knowledge that Friday fixtures for 3 teams,  (as one team couldn’t get guests ) had to re-arrange due to rider availability. But you can only re-arrange if you can get teams to come . Simple really you needn’t have wasted your time :rofl:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, IronScorpion said:

I think it is more a case of some promotions not having the forward thinking in trying to bring meetings forward & use the excuse that the fixtures were set in stone when agreed pre-season. They then blame the BSPA(a committee of 5) for agreeing to 1 promoters desire to go back to the decisions made at the AGM to only hold 3 CL meetings on race days as guests were hard to find as in our case missing our no1 from the 1st meeting of our season for 3 months but then compounded by losing another rider for 3 months from the end of May. Other injuries occurred in other teams so the need for guests was clearly an issue that needed addressing. Even now teams still racing, are struggling for guests & that includes from teams that have ended their season or are waiting for others to catch up.

My heart bleeds ..., let’s hope Workington finish you off tomorrow night , you’ll have months to drown your sorrows and by time AGM is held Godfrey will hopefully have stepped down and the other :icon_smile_clown: with him .. what a state British Speedway is in , run by a bunch of team managers only interested in their own outcome with puppets like you... the sport has no chance :rolleyes:

7 hours ago, Taylorj said:

:rolleyes: Need to look behind the figures oh clever one (not)  ...you haven’t a clue about what goes on in the background all looks so simple , had Glasgow been good enough to be in any other competitions you would see it from a very different angle . Was made very public knowledge that Friday fixtures for 3 teams,  (as one team couldn’t get guests ) had to re-arrange due to rider availability. But you can only re-arrange if you can get teams to come . Simple really you needn’t have wasted your time :rofl:

But the problem is I have a fair  idea what goes on,Why did you have 8 BLANK  Saturdays [your race night same as Berwick who only had 2 trying to make this simple for you] in FIRST 13 weeks of the season. Peterborough,Lakeside and Workington alternative race night Friday is when you race a club who has priority over you on your nominated race night not every week to suit your riders not being available . The LC and KOC fixtures should have been arranged months ago during our bad Summer 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, geoff100 said:

Talk tonight that we race at home on the 6th glasgow want to race on the sunday , cook would be missing sat night and they can use a guest, we would have klint missing on the sunday  no guest ?? Nl replacement hope the  bspa force glasgow go race on their chosen race day of friday .

The 6th is a Saturday thought you wanted to race on a Friday make your mind up :D 

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Did Workington not want to ride on a Friday this year?

Friday is their alternative race night 

• Haha 1

It’s going to be mid October before Worky and Glasgow meet, Comets v Edinburgh home and away next weekend then Torun the week after.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MANSE said:

The 6th is a Saturday thought you wanted to race on a Friday make your mind up :D 

If u read the.post u will see its.pretty simple 5th at glasgow which is their chosen race night for this season and the 6th at wton on a.sat which is their chosen (some might say forced) race night simples !!

Can't see any good reason for the play off between Workington and Glasgow not being next weekend and the cup fixture against Edinburgh being the following. Other than Workington running scared of Cook and trying to be awkward over it. 

Like has already been mentioned, Workington should have raced their cup fixtures before now and are also the only team in the league to not have completed their home matches. Poor show really and obviously nothing at all to do with them after all the world is against them apparently :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, MANSE said:

After reading the latest posts on this thread I decided to do a exercise on the two Saturday tracks Berwick race night Saturday Workington race night Saturday alternative night Friday,From  Sat 7/4 to Sat 30/6  is 13 Saturdays Berwick raced 10 meetings 1 rained off,  2 with no meeting.  Workington  raced 4 meetings { 2 v Glasgow 1 v Edin  1 v BER  on a Friday ) 1 rained off  and 8 with no meetings . Looking at these facts Berwick 2 no meetings, Workington 8 no meetings in the same period nothing to do with Godfrey and Chapman if Berwick can do it [young promotion ] why cant Workington do it now await all the flak but  figures do not lie  

Much like a Newcastle Diamonds speedway rider I cant be a**ed (to check your figures) so I will take your word for it. One of my abiding memories through most of our record breaking summer was 'what a lovely evening for speedway', and there not being any.

I know DP wasn't always available due to music festivals and the like, however we have to take some of the blame, as do other promoters for not getting more meetings on during this period. As you say, some promoters manage better than others.

This whole fixtures fiasco has turned into a personal vendetta in some peoples eyes, when in fact both the BSPA and all the promoters could have done much more to prevent it happening. It is not the first time we have been behind in getting our fixtures run, as it was very similar last year if memory serves me right - its just made worse this year because we have been successful!

As well as cut off dates for league fixtures, there should be ones for the cup competitions too ( by the way, do we need 2 cup competitions?) - the Shield being ok if it is treated as a season opener, however it could still be going at Christmas this year.

To sum up, there are lots of people to blame - lets just make sure it doesn't happen again next year!!!!

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Solidmango said:

Can't see any good reason for the play off between Workington and Glasgow not being next weekend and the cup fixture against Edinburgh being the following. Other than Workington running scared of Cook and trying to be awkward over it. 

Like has already been mentioned, Workington should have raced their cup fixtures before now and are also the only team in the league to not have completed their home matches. Poor show really and obviously nothing at all to do with them after all the world is against them apparently :rolleyes:

The reason the Play-Off between Workington and Glasgow can't be next weekend is because they are already racing in the KOC Semi-Final against Edinburgh.

Edinburgh are in the same boat as Glasgow in respect that they only have one (Maximum two) home meetings to arrange, due to not having as successful a season as Lakeside, Peterborough, and Workington so far, all three whom are all still involved in three competitions. 

These meetings v Edinburgh were agreed in principle before Workington even knew they were going to face Glasgow in the play-offs, so why should both clubs change them to suit Glasgow?

Incidentally,  Workington have raced more of their cup fixtures than the other two teams in the play-offs. Had you been chosen to ride against Lakeside or Peterborough, you would have had exactly the same problem in that these teams are not just simply waiting to run the play-offs, but have two other competitions to consider. Due to Scunthorpe's involvement in two of these competitions, they are also not going to sit around and wait while the play-offs are ran first are they?

Incidentally, had Glasgow still been in all three competitions, then you would have had exactly the same scenario.

Workington are indeed the only team to have not completed their home League fixtures. With five of their home meetings being cancelled by the BSPA, I think they have done pretty well to still qualify for the play-offs considering. Your club are now experiencing the difficulty of arranging two fixtures, so can you imagine how hard it has been for Workington to re-arrange theirs?

In respect to the outstanding League meeting v Lakeside, the original meeting scheduled for August 17th was cancelled by the BSPA and re-arranged for August 25th. This meeting was begun, but due to the serious injuries to Dan Bewley had to be abandoned. Blame cannot solely be laid at Workington's door for the failure to get that one raced, as Lakeside could well have refused to come on any available dates Workington could use the stadium. Failure to run this meeting could well have cost Workington a place in the play-offs, so do you seriously think they would have deliberately chosen not to run it? They after all didn't cancel the initial staging, and can not be blamed for the injury to Dan which caused the abandonment.

As a Workington fan I want Cookie to be available in both meetings, as I am sure all the paying public who support both clubs do.

A hard as it may be to understand, Glasgow cannot simply call the shots and demand fixtures to be raced on days to suit them. All the other clubs left in all the competitions have exactly the same objectives, so compromise sometimes is the winner.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MANSE said:

But the problem is I have a fair  idea what goes on,Why did you have 8 BLANK  Saturdays [your race night same as Berwick who only had 2 trying to make this simple for you] in FIRST 13 weeks of the season. Peterborough,Lakeside and Workington alternative race night Friday is when you race a club who has priority over you on your nominated race night not every week to suit your riders not being available . The LC and KOC fixtures should have been arranged months ago during our bad Summer 

1 hour ago, Solidmango said:

The main thing that comes out of all this , is that no one expected Workington to do so well and knock a few of the big hitters out of the competitions . No one moaned or protested at the start of the season when all fixtures were agreed and in place ,  now you have pages and pages of the likes of you lot sticking your oar in when you haven’t a clue,”fixtures should be in “ blah blah blah it really has become tiresome  . We had our Lakeside fixture the awful night we lost Dan Bewley ...to get Lakeside to come back was the issue . I’m sure Peterborough and Lakeside are meeting for the next few weeks home and away to get Cup, Shield, playoffs in too so not just Workington. Believe me there’s nothing more we want than to meet Glasgow next weekend, not running scared from Cook but the powers that be have Edinburgh who want KOC semi in . It would have been much better for us next weekend as the averages change from 1st October and Dan will go to 4th in our averages so no guest options, so you see it’s who you are in this game and how far you’re up the BSPA’s backside, we are at the bottom of that ladder so get shafted time and time again . No matter how much you moan , pass on your sad comments it is what is . Glasgow just think they can call the shots whenever they want . Had it been Peterborough or Lakeside you met you be waiting a hell of a lot longer , certainly not before your Dinner Dance on 26th .So I’ll be off and get myself ready for our first of 3 semi finals we are in :icon_smile_clown::approve:

Edited by Taylorj
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

As I have said before the BSPA as a whole take the blame for this chaos and not fof the first time.

Each club wants the best chance  for themselves when riders are available and fit but in the end just make# things worse for everyone , basically the problems in general with British Spe3dway.:unsure:

2 hours ago, MANSE said:

before i read on . 

i do believe the 8 BLANK SATURDAYS were there so the workington fans could watch a certain Cumbrian in the G.P.s  how many G.P.s were there this season on a Saturday .?

it WAS all agreed BEFORE the season started and EVERY opposing team AGREED to come on the OFF race night .so rearranging more fixtures was almost impossible .

how many time do certain posters have to put it into words before you grasp it ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Solidmango said:

Worky qualified by riding one meeting less , so whats the problem , it was only Dans crash that stopped worky fulfilling their fixtures BEFORE the cut off date .  but thats speedway .