British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Speedway Star and WH Smith

Brave decision by Speedway Star to pull out of supplying Smith's. 

I understand the cost factor but WHS has shops in most High Streets.

It means, in the town where I live, that the SS will disappear.

The alternative is to subscribe.

In the season, I would be happy - March to October. In the winter, with all the features, it is pot luck.

If they scrapped the Burford bollocks, it would be a better read and we could all get on with our lives that much sooner.

That bloke bores for Britain. Why use one word when you can use twenty, seems to be his style?

Cannot understand why his articles are not properly edited....

so, what am I to do?

Oh well...that's me finished snooping around the shelves of Smiths taking a peak at 'The Star!'

1 hour ago, Richard Weston said:

Brave decision by Speedway Star to pull out of supplying Smith's. 

I understand the cost factor but WHS has shops in most High Streets.

It means, in the town where I live, that the SS will disappear.

The alternative is to subscribe.

In the season, I would be happy - March to October. In the winter, with all the features, it is pot luck.

If they scrapped the Burford bollocks, it would be a better read and we could all get on with our lives that much sooner.

That bloke bores for Britain. Why use one word when you can use twenty, seems to be his style?

Cannot understand why his articles are not properly edited....

so, what am I to do?

WHERE do you live?

You can take a subscription from March to October.

During the winter we will be starting a general overhaul of the content of SS leading to a new-look in 2019.

We cannot please all of the people all of the time and many enjoy Brian Burford's features, although the word count will be dramatically reduced this winter.

Anyone who gets the Star and doesn't subscribe is missing out. It's a reliable way of keeping up to date with the sport and it comes through my letterbox every week on a Thursday. It's a fantastic publication and I would encourage everyone to get their copy this way.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, tigerowl said:

Anyone who gets the Star and doesn't subscribe is missing out. It's a reliable way of keeping up to date with the sport and it comes through my letterbox every week on a Thursday. It's a fantastic publication and I would encourage everyone to get their copy this way.  

SS is available in my local Tesco as in there regularly that's where I buy it , as for WH Smiths it's I shop I rarely visit these days as it has become a sad reflection of what it used to be 

Subscription is definitely the way to go. Delivered every Thursday, lower price. No brainer for a regular.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tigerowl said:

28 minutes ago, Hodgy said:

Subscription is definitely the way to go. Delivered every Thursday, lower price. No brainer for a regular.

I agree and you save almost 70 pence per copy. It's excellent value for a quality magazine.

• Like 1

Subscribing to the 'Star is the way to go: save about 70p a week and it's delivered to your door.  No, I don't work for the 'Star :).  As kind of an aside, a branch of WH Smiths in Hull recently closed down....

Edited by martinmauger
grammar

Since WH Smith's stopped selling music, I hardly ever go in there. I did pop in on Friday at the Lakeside shopping centre for a quick glance at the star. But now the Hammers and the star have disappeared, I doubt if I'll ever go in there again.

12 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

WHERE do you live?

You can take a subscription from March to October.

During the winter we will be starting a general overhaul of the content of SS leading to a new-look in 2019.

We cannot please all of the people all of the time and many enjoy Brian Burford's features, although the word count will be dramatically reduced this winter.

I live in a small E Sussex town where Tesco only does handful of magazines. Thanks for the word on the subscriptions. That's a possibility, indeed

Appreciate you cannot please all of he people all of the time but you will please me in Brian B's articles are of a more suitable length --- that bloke really does need editing. You start of thinking this might be an interesting subject but four pages and god knows how many words later you have lost the will to live.

Might give it a try this winter on subscription - I have looked at the rates---can't complain about that. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Richard Weston said:

I live in a small E Sussex town where Tesco only does handful of magazines. Thanks for the word on the subscriptions. That's a possibility, indeed

Appreciate you cannot please all of he people all of the time but you will please me in Brian B's articles are of a more suitable length --- that bloke really does need editing. You start of thinking this might be an interesting subject but four pages and god knows how many words later you have lost the will to live.

Might give it a try this winter on subscription - I have looked at the rates---can't complain about that. 

HOPE you do so ... can promise that Burford's stuff will be cut back and some new stuff coming too.

15 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

HOPE you do so ... can promise that Burford's stuff will be cut back and some new stuff coming too.

You win!!!!!!!:t:

Looking forward to it now.

3 hours ago, Richard Weston said:

...a bit like some of the posters and posts on BSF!

• Like 2

i for one would not object to a newspaper type publication rather than magazine to make it cheaper. Imagine I'm in the minority

I don't know if it applies to all stores but my local Sainsbury's carries it every week.