British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ProudtobeaBrummie

Celebrity fans

34 minutes ago, ProudtobeaBrummie said:

Does speedway have any a list or b list supporters ? The only ones i have heard of is mark webber and scott mitchell 

At the risk of sounding conceited, I was considered a "celeb"! Like my good friend Scott Mitchell, I played darts professionally. While I - unlike Scott - never managed to win a World title, I was third in the PDC World Championship, and am a former World No. 1.

To be honest, it really doesn't seem like there have been too many really famous celebrity speedway fans over the years. Not sure, but I believe that DJ David Hamilton was actually a speedway supporter in addition to his presenting job.

Steve

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Ex Footballers Graeme Stuart & Paul Scholes are speedway fans as is TT hero John McGuinness and few others from the bike racing fraternity 

Edited by DSC67

39 minutes ago, chunky said:

At the risk of sounding conceited, I was considered a "celeb"! Like my good friend Scott Mitchell, I played darts professionally. While I - unlike Scott - never managed to win a World title, I was third in the PDC World Championship, and am a former World No. 1.

To be honest, it really doesn't seem like there have been too many really famous celebrity speedway fans over the years. Not sure, but I believe that DJ David Hamilton was actually a speedway supporter in addition to his presenting job.

Steve

oh wow so i am guessing you are Mr steve Brown the american darts player a little before my time but i have met you before at the uk open bolton  around 2004 ish i used the go with my pal Davis Platt {babyface} when he was on the tour.

Yes i would count you as a celebrity pal for sure..

3 hours ago, chunky said:

Steve

Remember you from the old speedway email group.. never realised you were on here.  Nice to see.

I believe Keith Flint of prododgy has an interest in speedway, I know he has had a go. Whether or not attends events u don't know.

Valentino Rossi was a big Thomas Gollob fan I believe.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ProudtobeaBrummie said:

oh wow so i am guessing you are Mr steve Brown the american darts player a little before my time but i have met you before at the uk open bolton  around 2004 ish i used the go with my pal Davis Platt {babyface} when he was on the tour.

Yes i would count you as a celebrity pal for sure..

Before your time?  I'm not THAT bloody old!  :mad:  If you look at the fact that I always sign my posts as "Steve", frequently mention that I am not in the UK anymore, and the fact that I sometimes talk about darts, I thought that MIGHT have been a clue! :lol:  That was the first UK Open in 2003; the only one I qualified for.  My dad passed away a couple of months after that, and I dropped out of the PDC.

Do you remember me playing David in the World Championship?  I am friends with him on FB, and we chat occasionally.

Steve

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Doctor... said:

Remember you from the old speedway email group.. never realised you were on here.  Nice to see.

Oh yeah, the old Yahoo! group...  I joined the BSF around the same time, and have been a regular - if not prolific - poster here.  Most of the time I am on the "Years Gone By" section, but now I can get the live streams in the US again, I have been more active in the GP section.

Steve

• Like 1

I was mooching through a 'Tooting' group on Facebook as a lot of my family are on there and there was talk about Jimmy White and someone mentioned that they used to go to Wimbledon speedway with him

51 minutes ago, iris123 said:

I was mooching through a 'Tooting' group on Facebook as a lot of my family are on there and there was talk about Jimmy White and someone mentioned that they used to go to Wimbledon speedway with him

Again, not sure he was a "fan", but I remember him being down at Plough Lane on more than one occasion.

Steve

Wolves central defender, Ryan Bennett, used to be a regular at Kings Lynn when he played for Norwich. I'm sure when Lewis Kerr had his crash at Peterborough Ryan auctioned a pair of his boots to raise some money for Lewis.

8 hours ago, chunky said:

Steve

DIDDY David still subscribes to Speedway Star. Ex-Man U and England star Paul Scholes (what a player!) often seen at Belle Vue.

Edited by PHILIPRISING
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, iris123 said:

In the 70's, the pop group Mud were photographed by SS at Wimbledon, the picture Was a colour back page from memory. Was that just a promotional shoot or were they fans ?

• Like 1

Johnny Marr is a Belle Vue fan. Morrisey even wrote a song about him and called it "Speedway".

• Like 1

5 hours ago, iris123 said:

THINK he was more dogs than speedway. Lived locally.