British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ProudtobeaBrummie

Celebrity fans

2 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Jason Done (Waterloo Road) was/is often at Belle Vue, even getting some BV posters into one episode I recall.

Also didn't Matt Ford bring a rock star celeb to a recent BV v Poole meeting this season?  Can't remember his name..?

Didn't a proper world champion darts player used to pop into Poole or was it just as a celeb guest?Phil 'the power'

1 hour ago, iris123 said:

Didn't a proper world champion darts player used to pop into Poole or was it just as a celeb guest?Phil 'the power'

Nah, Phil wasn't a speedway fan, and he wouldn't go down to Poole when he had Stoke on his doorstep either; Shov wasn't that attractive to him!!!  Phil's main sporting interest is Port Vale F.C.

Incidentally, we had a similar thread a few years back. 

Steve

Edited by chunky
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, steve roberts said:

I remember watching Eddie Kidd perforning a jump on his motor bike at Wood Lane during the interval once.

He was also a Wimbledon regular. He lived just down the road in Tooting.

• Like 1

In the 70s most of the bike sports folk went to watch each other - Barry Sheene was often pictured at meetings, and another road racer Mick Grant who was around at the same time, was at Sheffield more than once. 

As for more up to date, the football referee Uriah Rennie was a regular at Owlerton a few years ago.  

5 minutes ago, Tigerblade said:

In the 70s most of the bike sports folk went to watch each other - Barry Sheene was often pictured at meetings, and another road racer Mick Grant who was around at the same time, was at Sheffield more than once. 

As for more up to date, the football referee Uriah Rennie was a regular at Owlerton a few years ago.  

mick grant was eric boococks mate 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, adonis said:

mick grant was eric boococks mate 

..and was an employee of Honda, and it was through that link that the Honda experiment in 1998 was introduced through Neil Machen then Sheffields promoter..

18 hours ago, iris123 said:

Quite correct Iris123. Phil Taylor attended Wimborne Road on a few occasions as a guest of Matt Ford. It was back in the days of Sky when Premier League Darts was at the Bournemouth International Centre during the speedway season.  Matt, Middlo and a few riders and sponsors usually had a table at the front of the stage for the darts. Steve Brandon was the 'Floor Manager' for the darts as he still is for BT for the Speedway.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

..and was an employee of Honda, and it was through that link that the Honda experiment in 1998 was introduced through Neil Machen then Sheffields promoter..

I remember that , unfortunately  another time  when speedway riders shot themselves in the foot , an opportunity to bring a massive brand into speedway ,which would have benefitted them and speedway financially ,  ,kicked into touch before it had a proper chance ,  

Many moons ago ,the bass player from King ,was a regular at Coventry and sometimes Paul King himself

25 minutes ago, adonis said:

Many moons ago ,the bass player from King ,was a regular at Coventry and sometimes Paul King himself

Yes. I actually spotted the bass player once, stood at the back of the home straight stand during a Swindon v Coventry match.

39 minutes ago, adonis said:

I remember that , unfortunately  another time  when speedway riders shot themselves in the foot , an opportunity to bring a massive brand into speedway ,which would have benefitted them and speedway financially ,  ,kicked into touch before it had a proper chance ,  

To be fair it would never have worked. The engines were existing 450cc motocross engines with a full gearbox which would just add unneeded extra weight. On the nights they were tested, some riders used third gear, whilst others got frustrated trying to find the optimum point of the right gear to give a good start speed and a good straight speed. I don't think anybody found that. Riders like Robbie Kessler and Paul Thorp got a high speed, and rode in an arc road racing style, but others like Nicki tried to do cut back, but there was just no acceleration to satisfy the riders or the paying public. The engines, which were run on petrol, just didn't generate enough acceleration to make it exciting for everyone. The principle of standard engines and running on a saleable fuel for advertising, is still a desirable concept, but unfortunately  it didn't work in 1998. Incidently, one of the  prime reasons for Honda was the fact that all the sports engines had won their classes in all the catergories, so Speedway was going to give them a clean sweep in all bike sports. 

Edited by Tsunami
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

To be fair it would never have worked. The engines were existing 450cc motocross engines with a full gearbox which would just add unneeded extra weight. On the nights they were tested, some riders used third gear, whilst others got frustrated trying to find the optimum point of the right heat to give the start speed and a good straight speed. I don't think anybody found that. Riders like Robbie Kessler and Paul Thorp got a high speed and rode in an arc road racing style, but others like Nicki tried to do cut back, but there was just no acceleration to satisfy the riders or the paying public. The engines which were run on petrol, just didn't generate enough acceleration to make it exciting for everyone. The principle of standard engines and running on a saleable fuel for advertising, is still a desirable concept but unfortunately  it didn't work in 1998. Incidently, one of the  prime reasons for Honda was the fact that all the sports engines had won their classes in all the catergories, so Speedway was going to give them a clean sweep in all bike sports. 

and with a race shop the size of the whole of triumph motorcycles and budget the size of the UK defecit ,  they might have built a speedway engine ,but it got knocked back before their technicians really got a look at it , I remember Brian Andersen trying one for 2 laps at Long Eaton and condemning it as dangerous before it was even properly warm 

1 hour ago, Skidder1 said:

Quite correct Iris123. Phil Taylor attended Wimborne Road on a few occasions as a guest of Matt Ford. It was back in the days of Sky when Premier League Darts was at the Bournemouth International Centre during the speedway season.  Matt, Middlo and a few riders and sponsors usually had a table at the front of the stage for the darts. Steve Brandon was the 'Floor Manager' for the darts as he still is for BT for the Speedway.

Thanks.Yet again a naysayer pops their head out,but I thought I remembered something along those lines

• Like 1

I remember on the show 'they think it's all over', Gary Lineker won guess the sportsman while blindfolded although I can't remember who the rider was....maybe Mark Loram but not sure.

Then divulged that he used to attend Leicester speedway back in the day.