British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ProudtobeaBrummie

Celebrity fans

On 9/17/2018 at 8:51 AM, MARK246 said:

In the 70's, the pop group Mud were photographed by SS at Wimbledon, the picture Was a colour back page from memory. Was that just a promotional shoot or were they fans ?

I remember going to Wimbledon back in the mid 70’s and Mud were there. I recall they rode around the track on mini bikes?

Darts man Phil Taylor was paraded around Poole a few years back waiving a pirates scarf. So was boxing guy Joe Calzagi. I spoke to ex Spurs player Darren Anderton at a meeting a couple of years back as well.  Scott Mitchell is a regular.

If you like punk rock GBH singer Colin can be seen on bends 1+2 at Perry Barr

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

I remember going to Wimbledon back in the mid 70’s and Mud were there. I recall they rode around the track on mini bikes?

I remember it well. I also recall seeing Alvin Stardust there. They were pretty big names at the time.

Seeing that the BBc TV Blue Peter is celebrating its 60th birthday it jogged my memory about a clip on YouTube featuring John Noakes and Peter Purvis at Hackney speedway that some of you might enjoy https://youtu.be/nsKQIihffE8

Shame that I can't find clip of the programme featuring Gordon Kennett riding around White City before their March 1976 opening meeting.

Does anyone know whether they featured Wimbledon speedway or any other UK tracks?

Edited by Robbie B

16 minutes ago, Robbie B said:

Seeing that the BBc TV Blue Peter is celebrating its 60th birthday it jogged my memory about a clip on YouTube featuring John Noakes and Peter Purvis at Hackney speedway that some of you might enjoy https://youtu.be/nsKQIihffE8

Shame that I can't find clip of the programme featuring Gordon Kennett riding around White City before their March 1976 opening meeting.

Does anyone know whether they featured Wimbledon speedway or any other UK tracks?

I recall Ivan Mauger appearing with his Gold Bike and on another occasion Larry Ross whilst a 'Don'.

Everyone who attends Berwick meetings is a celebrity, at least in their own minds anyway.:rolleyes:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Robbie B said:

Although I would have been very young at the rime I remember two more recent presenters, Simon Groom definitely being one,  having a race at Halifax. IIRC one of them won, as the juniors they were against either fell or efed.

55 minutes ago, Mr Ore said:

Although I would have been very young at the rime I remember two more recent presenters, Simon Groom definitely being one,  having a race at Halifax. IIRC one of them won, as the juniors they were against either fell or efed.

This was back at the start of 1980.
It was actually Christopher Wenner who rode not Simon Groom and he was helped to 'win' the race in a time of 91 seconds.

Guest WTF1
On 9/17/2018 at 9:59 PM, Blackadder said:

Freddie Starr used to pop in to Owlerton when he had a week's booking at the Sheffield Fiesta night club. He always did 10 minutes or so larking about on the centre green to entertain the crowd. He was on the front page of the SS once, along with Reg Wilson and Terry Betts. Three look-a-likes. Happy days.

Didn't he present to the top Sheffield scorer of 1974 Bob Valentine a brand new engine ?

Tim Lovejoy has been a fan for years but doesn't get to too many being based in London and busy weekends. 

Helen Chamberlain was his co host on Soccer Am years ago and the two once presented the league title. 

Big friends of Tai the Lowe's brothers from Superbikes love speedway and Rossi was challenged to try Speedway as he often watched it and think there was plans for Monster to get riders from different sports to try others two wheels for charity.

A few of the Coronation Street cast have visited Belle Vue a few times and 

6 hours ago, HerniaWise said:

Didn't he present to the top Sheffield scorer of 1974 Bob Valentine a brand new engine ?

I know that he presented ipswich's Tony Davey with a new bike prior to the 1978 Grande Prix Final at White City in 1978. 

Guest WTF1

It takes so little talent these days to become a celebrity with all the crappy singing and reality shows but it seems these people are adored by thousands so it's a pity none are interested in speedway so as to make an appearance and bring a few more young ones into speedway, A couple of years ago the now X Factor judge and local lad Louis Tomlinson brought a few extra thousands through the turnstiles by making an appearance at Doncaster Rovers football club, If only more high profile celebrities were interested in speedway then people would follow like sheep and the terraces would be full again. 

15 hours ago, Robbie B said:

Here's the Gordon Kennett clip: https://www.britishpathe.com/video/speedway-white-city/query/speedway