British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ProudtobeaBrummie

Celebrity fans

7 minutes ago, chunky said:

So did Graham Drury, when he was a promoter.

Steve

Sorry Steve, was still typing when you posted. Didn't mean to steal your thunder. :rolleyes:

Deadly Doug Ellis of Aston villa used to attend Long Eaton then went on to promote at the Brummies before taking over at Villa

On 9/17/2018 at 8:58 AM, Grachan said:

Johnny Marr is a Belle Vue fan. Morrisey even wrote a song about him and called it "Speedway".

Yes - being taken to Belle Vue is mentioned in his autobiography. The Smiths song 'Rusholme Ruffians' also includes the line 'the grease in the hair of a speedway operator'.

Would imagine there would have been a fair few 'celebs' who went to speedway in the 60s and 70s though, but the sport is hardly overwhelming patronised by the rich and famous these days. 

Phil Morris won £63,000 on the ITV quiz show 'The Colour of Money' back in 2009 and a further £25,000 on Sky's quiz show 'Are You Smarter Than  A 10' Year Old' here is a link to a page in relation to it.

https://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/news/4304918.Gwent_speedway_star_nets___90_000_in_quiz_show_blitz/

Edited by Robbie B
  • Like 1

I would suggest quizzes as a solution to the Chris Harris funding gap but by his own admission he isnt smarter than a 10 year old ;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 11/12/2018 at 3:17 PM, Humphrey Appleby said:

Yes - being taken to Belle Vue is mentioned in his autobiography. The Smiths song 'Rusholme Ruffians' also includes the line 'the grease in the hair of a speedway operator'.

Would imagine there would have been a fair few 'celebs' who went to speedway in the 60s and 70s though, but the sport is hardly overwhelming patronised by the rich and famous these days. 

this refers to a fairground ride though

• Like 1

On 10/21/2018 at 8:08 PM, screm said:

Everyone who attends Berwick meetings is a celebrity, at least in their own minds anyway.:rolleyes:

Actually Screm,  Berwick do have a celebrity fan, I’ve seen him there. Guy by the name of Neil Oliver. Ollies goal was never offside in the 97 Scottish Cup Final!

(ask any Falkirk fan lol)

I have an old Hawkwind tour programme in the loft somewhere, in which their bass player, Harvey Bainbridge, confessed to going to "lotsa speedway meetings" in the time since the last tour, back in the early 1980's.

5 hours ago, uk_martin said:

I have an old Hawkwind tour programme in the loft somewhere, in which their bass player, Harvey Bainbridge, confessed to going to "lotsa speedway meetings" in the time since the last tour, back in the early 1980's.

Hawkwind bass player Alan Davey (1984-1996, 2000-2007) was a regular at Foxhall when he was living in Suffolk...

Edited by BluPanther

21 hours ago, Lioness said:

Actually Screm,  Berwick do have a celebrity fan, I’ve seen him there. Guy by the name of Neil Oliver. Ollies goal was never offside in the 97 Scottish Cup Final!

(ask any Falkirk fan lol)

Neil used to work as an electrician with my brother a few years ago, while I worked with Neil`s dad Ian, in fact Ian is still kit man with Berwick Rangers.

• Like 1

Had a lot of time for Neil, he was a good guy - it was a good bunch of players we had at the time. I was heavily involved at the club at the time, happy days strangely even though we were in major financial strife at the time. He’s still well thought of by my generation at Falkirk.

His goal really wasn’t offside though!

E0401AD6-F733-492E-AB1E-335EE366229F.jpeg

On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 8:05 AM, compost said:

Les Grey of Mud was a Hackney Hawks fan.  Apparently they also played under the group name of 'Speedway' after Mud faded from popularity.

Ray Stiles (on the left of the picture) was a Wimbledon fan. I knew him a bit as we both supported the same football club and he was always asking about the speedway.

On 9/17/2018 at 8:32 AM, martinmauger said:

Recently saw an interview with Thin Lizzy guitarist Scott Gorham he was wearing a speedway hoodie, couldn't fully make out the design but it had 'Speedway' or 'Vintage Speedway' with the picture of a rider on the front....

As a boy from 'The States', I'm a HUGE Scott Gorham fan. I'll reach out and see if I can find any further information. ;)

Dan