British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ProudtobeaBrummie

Celebrity fans

Acker Bilk was once a Director at Oxford Speedway.....probably more of a Dave Lanning publicity stunt!

6 hours ago, chunky said:

Before your time?  I'm not THAT bloody old!  :mad:  If you look at the fact that I always sign my posts as "Steve", frequently mention that I am not in the UK anymore, and the fact that I sometimes talk about darts, I thought that MIGHT have been a clue! :lol:  That was the first UK Open in 2003; the only one I qualified for.  My dad passed away a couple of months after that, and I dropped out of the PDC.

Do you remember me playing David in the World Championship?  I am friends with him on FB, and we chat occasionally.

Steve

Yes i do Steve you beat him in the first round . That was Daves first ever offical PDC match he won the chance to play in the worlds in through a competition in the daily star then continued after that that for a few years as you probably know he has moved to Australia now but still playing darts and qualified for the worlds the last couple of years . Met some fantastic people and some great characters in and around the darts world there would often be a late night card school in the hotel for a few quid .  

6 hours ago, MARK246 said:

In the 70's, the pop group Mud were photographed by SS at Wimbledon, the picture Was a colour back page from memory. Was that just a promotional shoot or were they fans ?

At least one of them did.Knocked on his door with a mate on our way to school one morning.He was probably on tour or something and all we got was to meet his missus!!

Marc Bolan also lived nearby,supposedly.On the same Tooting group someone was asking if anyone went to school with his or remembers him or was it all wrong that he grew up in tooting.

Edited by iris123

14 hours ago, chunky said:

At the risk of sounding conceited, I was considered a "celeb"! Like my good friend Scott Mitchell, I played darts professionally. While I - unlike Scott - never managed to win a World title, I was third in the PDC World Championship, and am a former World No. 1.

To be honest, it really doesn't seem like there have been too many really famous celebrity speedway fans over the years. Not sure, but I believe that DJ David Hamilton was actually a speedway supporter in addition to his presenting job.

Steve

and of course one of the loudest of the 'first bend loonies' at Wimbledon :D

Jimmy White was at Wimbledon now and again, but never seemed to move away from the bar at the top of the grandstand, doubt he was there for the racing.

Alex Hammond, Sky Presenter, was seen at Blunsdon several times going back 5-6 years ago, which resulted in me missing a lot of races.

I expect she had to use the toilets on the back straight ending that little relationship.

17 minutes ago, ChrisSimpson said:

Carl Foggerty has had a few spins most recently with Ride and Skid It at Buxton Speedway

Off topic but I really fancy a go at this, in fact I'm definitely going to sort it out before I hit 60, so sometime in the next 16 months.  Have always felt I could've been a contender, time to put it to the test.:unsure:

Same here ,I had a go some 40 years ago and have had road bikes up to this day. I've got 4 lads 32,30 and 27 who all reckon they could beat their old dad easily although only one of them has ever rode a motorbike. Could be a great day out 

14 minutes ago, bruno said:

Same here ,I had a go some 40 years ago and have had road bikes up to this day. I've got 4 lads 32,30 and 27 who all reckon they could beat their old dad easily although only one of them has ever rode a motorbike. Could be a great day out 

Well I've no offspring, so if you need someone to make up the numbers give me a shout when you're going and I'll try to get along there so we can show your boys the quickest way round Buxton.

• Like 1

Recently saw an interview with Thin Lizzy guitarist Scott Gorham he was wearing a speedway hoodie, couldn't fully make out the design but it had 'Speedway' or 'Vintage Speedway' with the picture of a rider on the front....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stevehone said:

Jimmy White was at Wimbledon now and again, but never seemed to move away from the bar at the top of the grandstand, doubt he was there for the racing.

Thanks Steve

As the person wrote speedway rather than dogs,which is easier to write I didn’t doubt they knew what they went to see.And I guess it is possible that he was going before he was old enough to be bothered about what they were selling at the bar or what the American riders were using to enhance their performance!!

Stuart Pearce watched Belle Vue sometimes as did Elbow's Guy Garvey..ex legend Don Rogers is a regular at Swindon. John Lennon visited Fleetwood speedway.

Rob Elliott, Newcastle Goalkeeper used to follow I think Lakeside, but we haven't seen him at Newcastle yet. Also the famous Geordie Runner, Mark Allison, who is always running across continents to raise massive amounts for charity, attends every home meeting when he is not running. Great Guy. 

Edited by Tsunami

1 hour ago, Tsunami said:

Also the famous Geordie Runner, Mark Allison

If he's that good at running, why don't you see if he's interested in trying to run British speedway??? :t:

Steve