British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ProudtobeaBrummie

Celebrity fans

9 hours ago, HerniaWise said:

It takes so little talent these days to become a celebrity with all the crappy singing and reality shows but it seems these people are adored by thousands so it's a pity none are interested in speedway so as to make an appearance and bring a few more young ones into speedway, A couple of years ago the now X Factor judge and local lad Louis Tomlinson brought a few extra thousands through the turnstiles by making an appearance at Doncaster Rovers football club, If only more high profile celebrities were interested in speedway then people would follow like sheep and the terraces would be full again. 

I wonder if any track tries to get local 'celebrities' to follow them on Twitter?

Given the reputation of the BV board for example you would think they could know someone who has the 'ear' of the likes of Mourinho, Guardiola or maybe some of the players..?

Maybe getting a few retweets off them may get their followers noticing the sport as it could be taken as an endorsement from them..?

At the NSS for example the Mayor of Mcr, (Andy Burnham) is a very high profile person on social media and has a desire to end homelessness.... BV should latch on to this and see how they can help out by being a pillar of the community...

The world has changed from "let's put leaflets on cars in supermarket car parks"...

Sometimes you think Speedway seems to see leafleting cars in car parks as quite "cutting edge" when it comes to marketing..

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Grand Central said:

This was back at the start of 1980.
It was actually Christopher Wenner who rode not Simon Groom and he was helped to 'win' the race in a time of 91 seconds.

Happy to be corrected, as I said I was very young at the time.. 

17 hours ago, mikebv said:

I wonder if any track tries to get local 'celebrities' to follow them on Twitter?

Given the reputation of the BV board for example you would think they could know someone who has the 'ear' of the likes of Mourinho, Guardiola or maybe some of the players..?

Maybe getting a few retweets off them may get their followers noticing the sport as it could be taken as an endorsement from them..?

At the NSS for example the Mayor of Mcr, (Andy Burnham) is a very high profile person on social media and has a desire to end homelessness.... BV should latch on to this and see how they can help out by being a pillar of the community...

The world has changed from "let's put leaflets on cars in supermarket car parks"...

Sometimes you think Speedway seems to see leafleting cars in car parks as quite "cutting edge" when it comes to marketing..

how would overpaid ninnies retweet anything , most of them can barely tie their own shoelaces . and even if they  would speedway can't afford to pay them ,because they most certainly will do nothing for nothing ,

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, adonis said:

how would overpaid ninnies retweet anything , most of them can barely tie their own shoelaces . and even if they  would speedway can't afford to pay them ,because they most certainly will do nothing for nothing ,

And they don't tweet themselves, they employ people to manage their social media accounts

Rod Stewart.(True) Quote from his autobiography: 'Mary and Peggy, my sisters, would take me to watch speedway at Harringay, which was hugely popular then'.

• Like 1

On 10/21/2018 at 11:19 PM, HerniaWise said:

Didn't he present to the top Sheffield scorer of 1974 Bob Valentine a brand new engine ?

I believe the story to be that he promised the 1973 top scorer (who turned out to be Bob Valentine) a new engine,  but allegedly it ended up as the track spare, and Rod Haynes beat Ole Olsen in a second half in 1974 on it. Although someone who was there at the time will know better than me. 

There was a kids TV quiz programme in the 1970's when I was still a kid, age-wize at least (!), called Runaround presented by the late Mike Reid, once 3 speedway riders appeared with their bikes but don't recall who they were.  And Jim Fixed It for a young lad to ride at Reading with Dave Jessup, the kid already had his own bike and gear so Jim actually didn't need to 'fix' that much.  On Magpie, ITV's Blue Peter,  Mick Somebody (the Marc Bolan lookalike) tried speedway at King's Lynn, I believe it was, he complained "I can ride the straights ok but I can't do thw corners"; a lot of beginners have trouble with the corners in speedway.    The memories are flooding back now: I also saw the This Is Your Life Barry Briggs episode (I know!), don't recall a lot about it I'd only just discovered speedway, just Briggo riding round then the late Eamon Andrews dressed in immaculate overalls presenting him with the big red book and an 'old man in speedway' (Johnny Hoskins !) said something that had everyone rolling about laughing, such a blooming shame the tape was wiped which was common in those days a lot of valuable stuff wasn't archived.... 

Edited by martinmauger
spelling x2
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, martinmauger said:

There was a kids TV quiz programme in the 1970's when I was still a kid, age-wize at least (!), called Runaround presented by the late Mike Reid, once 3 speedway riders appeared with their bikes but don't recall who they were.  

The late Kevin Holden was one of the riders. Mike Reid referred to them having an item of equipment missing, from when he goes to speedway (so potentially another celebrity fan) , when they rode around the studio. Kevin advised it was the steel shoe and explained its use on the track.  

• Like 1

Thanks for the info, confirms I didn't imagine it long time ago and all that, though I think the guy who tried speedway on Magpie was Mick Robertson....

Edited by martinmauger
added info x2
  • Like 1

Ray Wilson once appeared on a game show (can't remember the name) whereby the panal had to guess the occupation of the person. If I recall Ray mimed the action of changing a tyre?

Recall the name of the prgramme now..."What's My Line?"

3 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Ray Wilson once appeared on a game show (can't remember the name) whereby the panal had to guess the occupation of the person. If I recall Ray mimed the action of changing a tyre?

As did Andy Smith, who mimed the hand action of asking the ref to flash the green light. (What's My Line)

• Like 1

Phil Morris did a similar thing once on a show hosted by Donny Osmond.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gambo said:

As did Andy Smith, who mimed the hand action of asking the ref to flash the green light. (What's My Line)

So did Graham Drury, when he was a promoter.

Steve

Recall the name of the prgramme now..."What's My Line?"

Seems that WML had several speedway related guests. I can remember Graham Drury on, what I assume was, a later edition. Emlyn Hughes was a panelist and it was a female presenter (still racking my brain to recall who) who said he would be impressed as Drury was a sportsman.  Drury declared he was an ice speedway rider , turning on his fuel tap before the start of his first race. Hughes later presented a sports show featuring "real" ice speedway from Italy and seemingly knew far more about the sport then; aka had a good researcher feeding him the info. 

• Like 1