British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sidney the robin

Swindon v Belle Vue. Thursday 27/09/18.

2 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

Or attaching a rocket to his pants!

Adam's best night this year was guesting for Kings Lynn in a double-header, shows the riders dislike of the Abbey racetrack.

Good to see local lad Brennan in the team.

Another opportunity to see how he does, and could it be he is being looked at for 2019.    

1 minute ago, A ORLOV said:

Another opportunity to see how he does, and could it be he is being looked at for 2019.    

Be great if he is,main thing is for Tom to have no pressure and to enjoy himself.

38 minutes ago, Crazy robin said:

The usual crap guest of 0000000000 Sargent then,

Can only have a maximum of 7 rides not 10 :nono: :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, theblueboy said:

Who would you use then in this most meaningless of fixtures?

So do you think that this meeting should not be run ? Just think if this meetings is meaningless how many football matches are !!!

Edited by ray c

3 hours ago, Grachan said:

Batch has gone from 8.48 to 7.96 in the last month. As long as he averages 8.00 tonight he'll be fine.

They should have gone old-skool tonight. Fireworks, moped races, flour fights, burning Rosco's trousers - that sort of thing.

could score 6 and his average go up, if say he only scored 2 in the meeting that drops off

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, theblueboy said:

Who would you use then in this most meaningless of fixtures?

Whoever's the cheapest!

10 minutes ago, poole keith said:

could score 6 and his average go up, if say he only scored 2 in the meeting that drops off

How will his average go up if he scores 6, other than by withdrawing from the meeting before he has all his rides?

20 match rolling average, tonights score will replace his score in the 20th match which will be dropped,need to know what he scored in that 20th match?

7 minutes ago, poole keith said:

20 match rolling average, tonights score will replace his score in the 20th match which will be dropped,need to know what he scored in that 20th match?

So what's the point of the 7.96 GSA then?

1 hour ago, ray c said:

So do you think that this meeting should not be run ? Just think if this meetings is meaningless how many football matches are !!!

What this match between between the current league champions and the current KO cup holders? A bit like Opal Fruits, this fixture is made to make your mouth water! :wink:

I wouldn't compare any sport with speedway, least of all football. Does the football season extend beyond the Play Offs, in fact, does any sport that has Play Offs have a regular fixture running in tandem with that competition? I know this is one fixture but is also not the first time this has happened. Football has its issues but if you look at the sport as a whole, its moved with the times with regard to finance, stadia and social media. Meaningless matches are the preserve of any sport, not just football. For example the County Championship has been done and dusted for 2 or 3 matches, although the champs came unstuck today. :drink:

Sensible well regulated sports deal with the league season first. I accept that speedway is different in that the sport is both weather dependant and that the participants are self employed who are not attached to a single club but want to maximise their earnings. That is not necessarily a great recipe as cancelled fixtures across the continent in several leagues have an enormous effect of riders participation, which no doubt has largely contributed to this particular meeting being run out of season.

What infuriates me is that the promoters have issues re injuries and cancellations every year but none of them have the brains to figure out how to address these issues. Every year it is the bottom line and we have an article in the local paper this evening asking for supporters to 'flock' to the meeting tonight. Why? I am going because I go every week. It could also be the final meeting ever, who knows but that's not why I am going. There will be no more than 500 people there tonight on a superb autumnal evening.  Once the promotion realise they have lost a packet you'll receive a veiled threat from the promotion that they cannot continue to sustain losses.

To run a credible sport, you need credible rules including the use of averages, season dates that are pre-determined and relatively easily to achieve, ditch the Mickey Mouse KO Cup - no one cares anymore and for f*** sake put the customer first. Last season KL fans were mutinous, this season a decent team, good results and crowds on the up. Next season, it will be the ol' one over 8 rule or some stupid team average that's 2-3 points lower than the current league average and we sink in to the mire of mediocrity for the xx season running.

Luckily, the best ever BSPA meeting is only just round the corner, and I for one cannot wait! :)

• Like 1

The only way people will flock to the Shabbey tonight is if the club provided a free spread and said pay what you like to get in, or we're all flocked! My football club Cirencester Town did that and got their biggest crowd of the season. A nice gesture for their support throughout the season.

The fans are the most important part of the club, speedway or otherwise. Look after your customers like any business or you'll lose 'em.

We won't be forking out 34 quid tonight but it's good weather so hope it's an enjoyable night of racing and reasonable turnout.

Edited by auntie doris

7 hours ago, foreverblue said:

Yes but one meeting isn't going to change the averages much.

The October 1st averages are now out and on the BSPA website.

54 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

The October 1st averages are now out and on the BSPA website.

Yes it was no secret Harris would move to one and Covatti go to reserve .