British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sidney the robin

Swindon v Belle Vue. Thursday 27/09/18.

I was busy tonight so didn’t go, thankfully. Sounds exactly like the waste of time and money I expected it to be.

Its all well and good saying that crowd numbers need to be decent to put some money in the bank for next season, but what’s the point if you put on an absolute shower in the form of entertainment and expect people to cough up 17 quid for the privilege, denting people’s enthusiasm to do it all again next season. It sounds like the crowd was not too bad tonight largely because of the goodwill of the public after rosco’s words in the local media. Trouble with that is people only have so much goodwill and patience, and it feels that that’s what the sport is largely running on in the UK at the moment, goodwill.

A meaningless result combined with a system for riders that means a poor performance makes them much more employable for the next season, a track not fit for providing close racing with today’s bikes and charging full price to the paying public that you’ve basically guilt tripped into coming to witness it all, is an absolute toxic mix. How promoters don’t see this and continue to ignore it is completely boggling.

Any changes to the blunsdon track can’t come soon enough, but unfortunately that’s just the tip of the iceberg for the wider problems for the sport at the moment. 

• Like 2

Cannot see Swindon riding next season unless the stadium and track stays as it is for another year. 

Quite clear to anyone that its only a matter of time before the whole stadiums bulldozed to make way for housing.

such a shame, used to love standing at the 4th bend bar and bbq area in the summers back in the day when Newport were there.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Speedy swindon pete said:

Trouble with that is people only have so much goodwill and patience, and it feels that that’s what the sport is largely running on in the UK at the moment, goodwill.

That sums it up well, that UK speedway runs on the goodwill of existing and mostly long-term supporters. It has done so for about 10 years and that goodwill is now seriously running out ( age and infirmity has taken it's toll too ). Rosco et al will be standing in an almost empty stadium in two or three years. Not of course in Swindon's case as there will not be a new stadium for the faithful few to stand in.

Such a shame that a historic stadium like the Abbey  couldn't have gone out on a high.     I wouldn't have taken much to arrange a fitting finale to attract a decent crowd giving them a night to enjoy and remember.     Guests,  Fireworks,   charity races,   could have been added  at little cost .    By the sounds of it, the Ref and track manager made a real pigs ear of it....

• Like 1

Glad I didn't waste my money..sounds a right sodding shambles

If I was a gambling man, I'd say that the shabby will remain in its present state for another year or so, until the bulldozers move in. I hope I'm wrong and the proposed track works show some progress before Christmas.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, g13webb said:

Such a shame that a historic stadium like the Abbey  couldn't have gone out on a high.     I wouldn't have taken much to arrange a fitting finale to attract a decent crowd giving them a night to enjoy and remember.     Guests,  Fireworks,   charity races,   could have been added  at little cost .    By the sounds of it, the Ref and track manager made a real pigs ear of it....

They tried all that five years ago, but it never closed. Conning the public again would be a disaster.

Swindon should hang their heads in shame - conning people out of their hard earned cash.  Rosco knew what would happen and he still dared to guilt trip the fans.  No after meeting press conference?

Totally embarrassed! 

• Like 1

A sad night for me last night another poor night's entertainment again a real  borefest.The only pluses were  Musielak and young Brennan who looks impressive.Speedway does not seem to grasp that fans want a swift and prompt meeting last night delays galore god knows what the ref was on forever holding the tapes.The crowd considering was pretty good even after Rossiter's silly comment beforehand that was not wise in my opinion.Also can Rosco explain two things ?  why did he replace Brennan in heat 8 with the poor Sarjeant baffling i would of been certain Brennan would of seen off young Bickley again.Also why was Anders Rowe not in that meaningless meeting? he is our number 8 why was Sarjeant there.He was an ex rider an ex junior sprocket who was given chances along the way he should of understood .That was very disappointing for me youngsters should get chances i am just glad this crappy season is over.

Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, WalterPlinge said:

The SCB should credit a full maximum score to the likes of Batchelor and Morris in situations like this.

Using a dead-rubber of a fixture to manipulate the averages is robbing the public.  But will the SCB take any action?  Of course not.

The solution to this one is quite simple.

Use the formula that Poland had when they used averages.

Take the last 20 matches (as  now),  but throw out the two highest and two lowest scores and calculate the GSA from the remaining 16 matches.

Then if a rider wants to reduce his average he would have to underperform in no less than four matches to make a meaningful reduction in his average. That would be a big hit to a rider's pay packet (or promoter's wallet if they are subsidising the suspicious loss of form).

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Steve0 said:

Swindon should hang their heads in shame - conning people out of their hard earned cash.  Rosco knew what would happen and he still dared to guilt trip the fans.  No after meeting press conference?

Totally embarrassed! 

http://www.swindonrobins.co/_mobile/news.php?extend.3184.1

You do realise it's was genuine clutch failures, with many shattered brand new clutch plates for the poor performances.

Rosco treats fans like mugs once again.

I used to have so much respect for Rosco but in the last couple of years since taking on the promoter role, he's become like the ordinary, out dated, wool over the eyes type owner this sport is already way to over crowded with.

Swindon, Great Britain and the British Speedway fans in general needs the old honest Rosco. This "standard" promoter stance he has right now doesn't sit well with me and no Swindon fan is falling for it either.

:nono:

12 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

http://www.swindonrobins.co/_mobile/news.php?extend.3184.1

You do realise it's was genuine clutch failures, with many shattered brand new clutch plates for the poor performances.

Rosco treats fans like mugs once again.

I used to have so much respect for Rosco but in the last couple of years since taking on the promoter role, he's become like the ordinary, out dated, wool over the eyes type owner this sport is already way to over crowded with.

Swindon, Great Britain and the British Speedway fans in general needs the old honest Rosco. This "standard" promoter stance he has right now doesn't sit well with me and no Swindon fan is falling for it either.

:nono:

That's what happens when you become part of the establishment.

4 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

That's what happens when you become part of the establishment.

A real shame that City also it hurts me to say it but the track has had its day now it needs to be changed.Maybe the straights are two long for the modern day bike? who knows.I know you watch alot of N.L speedway what do you think of young Brennan? he looks good noticed last night not shutting off really on the pace.

27 minutes ago, arnieg said:

The solution to this one is quite simple.

Use the formula that Poland had when they used averages.

Take the last 20 matches (as  now),  but throw out the two highest and two lowest scores and calculate the GSA from the remaining 16 matches.

Then if a rider wants to reduce his average he would have to underperform in no less than four matches to make a meaningful reduction in his average. That would be a big hit to a rider's pay packet (or promoter's wallet if they are subsidising the suspicious loss of form).

Count everything including the KOC on as many matches as you can and at least the last thirty, riders would give up throwing races as it would have too little effect.

9 hours ago, WalterPlinge said:

The SCB should credit a full maximum score to the likes of Batchelor and Morris in situations like this.

Using a dead-rubber of a fixture to manipulate the averages is robbing the public.  But will the SCB take any action?  Of course not.

Said the same last season at Plymouth. Mildenhall wanted the fixture called off as it was meaningless, well after the cut off dates for Play offs. Sent down a very poor team and didnt even bother sending a member of their own management team. They used the Weymouth SDL team managers. Plymouth duly hammered them. Result? Increased averages for Plymouth, reduced averages for Mildenhall. Guess who benefitted from it? No prizes..................!

Well done Belle Vue for using Kyle Bickley.