British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sidney the robin

Swindon v Belle Vue. Thursday 27/09/18.

22 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

A real shame that City also it hurts me to say it but the track has had its day now it needs to be changed.Maybe the straights are two long for the modern day bike? who knows.I know you watch alot of N.L speedway what do you think of young Brennan? he looks good noticed last night not shutting off really on the pace.

He's hot around Arlington Sid, but not so consistent away. He's still learning his trade though.

6 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

He's hot around Arlington Sid, but not so consistent away. He's still learning his trade though.

A bit like a young Dugard or Woods then both went on and improved Dugard i rated highly.What surprised me again last night City was for a NL rider how much pace he had he kept the bike running no shutting off.

What an awful meeting, many delays at the start due to tape infringements and the ref holding the green light on too long, and when are they going to stop the staff opening the pits gate after a "dodgy" start, the two mins should go straight on and the riders should not need to refuel etc.  Even the delays following tape breaks were too long.  
It was predicted before the meeting that certain riders would be reducing their averages, due to the stupid team average limits or one rider over 8 rubbish bought in by the bspa.  Just look at the averages of many riders in different teams that have dropped in the last month, mostly below 8 points as they want a team position next season. 

Lastly this was an ideal opportunity to give young Anders another opportunity in the team rather than bring in a rider from elsewhere. Both he and Tom should have been the reserves, he was at the track last night so presumably able to ride.  Swindon has its own assets but bring in another rider, unbelievable.    

Edited by A ORLOV
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, A ORLOV said:

What an awful meeting, many delays at the start due to tape infringements and the ref holding the green light on too long, and when are they going to stop the staff opening the pits gate after a "dodgy" start, the two mins should go straight on and the riders should not need to refuel etc.  Even the delays following tape breaks were too long.  
It was predicted before the meeting that certain riders would be reducing their averages, due to the stupid team average limits or one rider over 8 rubbish bought in by the bspa.  Just look at the averages of many riders in different teams that have dropped in the last month, mostly below 8 points as they want a team position next season. 

Lastly this was an ideal opportunity to give young Anders another opportunity in the team rather than bring in a rider from elsewhere. Both he and Tom should have been the reserves, he was at the track last night so presumably able to ride.  Swindon has its own assets but bring in another rider, unbelievable.    

What surprises me about the Anders situation is Rosco knows the history  about the Swindon faithfull loving a young local english lad mixing it with the big boys.Are record in the past with Crash, Kilb,Dukey,Keener,Wellie,Alun, Martin Hewlett the Smart/ Chessell bros is excellent and last night  i just felt gutted for Anders.

• Like 1

The sun went down (quite literally) last night the atmosphere changes and you don’t get to see the delapadated stadia that has run its course.

Track lights produce so much more to the racing but look dangerous in today’s world.

Air fences have made viewing impossible in some areas so we now need raised viewing around the stadia.

If Swindon do return then it will be remarkable in today’s land development world as those houses look too close even if they do move the stadium a bit to the left (or right) which ever way you look at it.

Ok, we went, a round trip of 100 miles from home and for what! This most be the worse meeting I have seen for the complete and utter lack of urgency from anyone to keep the meeting flowing. Not on the TV and took just over 2 hours to complete. The presentation just has to be improved, I do not subscribe to the theory that you need to make it last so long to give value for money, the value is given by the racing of which there was none apart from a very few exceptions.

When tapes are broken there is no need to refuel and have a long break, put the 2 minutes on straight away, do not allow a return to the pits or tinkering, get on with it.. Thankfully there wasn't an interval!

The track action, well very little, Swindon used to be a pleasure to go to, no more. This was a bore fest, gate and go and of course the scoreline didn't little to help. I'm not going to say some were reducing averages or not riding to their full, my observation was that the track offered nothing to those trying to overtake, dire.

In the programme Rosco is calling for radical thinking, I'd like to see more races, a lower pay rate to allow that to happen and on tracks that allow those who miss the gate the option to overtake, nothing more thrilling .

Swindon's man of the match, Tom Brennan, rode well, give it his best, very unlucky with bike trouble robbing him of a 2nd place.

In summary, we went, we saw, we wished we had stayed at home and saved the £34.

• Like 2

Through a multitude of posts it seems the majority of speedway fans would just love to see pit gates closed if a false start etc. Why is no one listening?

• Like 1

Rosco and Terry Russell should hang their heads in shame at that excuse for a speedway meeting last night.

A poor track, sloppy tired presentation and some riders just going through the motions in scruffy delapidated stadium. And both Rosco and Terry R have the cheek to urge supporters to make an effort to support the team.

As somebody else said on this thread the BSPA rely on the goodwill of the current supporters to watch dross like last night. There's little chance anybody else than die hard fans would put up with it.

As Rosco said in his programme notes he and his chums at the BSPA have to be radical at this year's AGM to save the sport in this country.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

Through a multitude of posts it seems the majority of speedway fans would just love to see pit gates closed if a false start etc. Why is no one listening?

No one in the old Boys club ever listens.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Radical for Rosco and his BSPA chums means bringing in the green helmet colour or adjusting the points limit by 0.5. There will be almost no changes at the 2018 AGM and the withering of UK speedway will go on and on.

Let's hope that Freesports goes on offering us European speedway and IMG the GPs.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, OveFundinFan said:

The BSPA think that there is a lot of on track "action" for the fans to watch when the mechanics etc rush out on track dramatically.

• Like 1

Lots on here and previously on other threads have mentioned the ridiculous and unnecessary delays.  Most fans seem to want the meetings speeded up so they can either get away or, as I would like, an occasional second half possibly for the young riders, ie reserves and possibly potential future reserves.  Some of the weeks the meetings have finished earlier than last year but most want the pit gates kept closed for a restart, unless a rider is being replaced, but there should be no mechanics let out on the track for refueling etc.  

• Like 2

The average dropping was pretty blatant last night and I felt really sorry for the Swindon fans parting with their hard earned money and having to watch it!

I think one of the problems with league Speedway these days is that (unlike the fans who follow their team) many riders have little or no real affinity to the club(s) they ride for.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, WembleyLion said:

The average dropping was pretty blatant last night and I felt really sorry for the Swindon fans parting with their hard earned money and having to watch it!

I think one of the problems with league Speedway these days is that (unlike the fans who follow their team) many riders have little or no real affinity to the club(s) they ride for.

Very true, some ride for 3 or 4 other clubs. Not like when half the team were local and rode over 300 times for the local team with pride.

• Like 1