British Speedway Forum
lisa-colette

Belle Vue vs Kings Lynn Playoff Semi 1st Leg 24/09/18

A bit of handbags is never a bad thing. Well done to BT for keeping the cameras on it too. 

Etheridge had nothing to complain about but it escalated because of involvement from the Lynn side once the riders got back to the pit gate. I’ve never seen Simon Lambert move so fast, on or off a bike. If he had that kind of speed on the track he’d have had a much better career. 

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Ben91 said:

A bit of handbags is never a bad thing. Well done to BT for keeping the cameras on it too. 

Etheridge had nothing to complain about but it escalated because of involvement from the Lynn side once the riders got back to the pit gate. I’ve never seen Simon Lambert move so fast, on or off a bike. If he had that kind of speed on the track he’d have had a much better career. 

I agree about the handbags, creates atmosphere and is usually remembered long after the racing. What we don't need is violence.

1 hour ago, Gavan said:

Far from it mate we used to follow Mark Loram so spent many a Saturday night at Lynn and would love them to win the league. Always remember Marks first meeting at home v Reading. He either scored 17 out of 18 or 20 out of 21 from number 7 and the only person to beat him was Readings reserve.....Todd Wiltshire!

I cant remember ever cheering for Ipswich.   always the arc enemy, going back to the (much respected) John Berry days .     Those wonderful local derbies which we always managed to lose....

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Fred Flange said:

No sick cheering though, that's good to read.

You obviously can't legislate for the odd individual but it is the collective cheering, which even comes across on the broadcast microphones, that I find particularly abhorrent, yet some so called 'fans' where it happens defend it!

You can't abide riders and team managers then, who have been seen on camera multiple times when a rider has slid off giving their team victory.

What is 'abhorrent' is someone who believes people are cheering in the hope a rider may be hurt. The cheer is because their team has gained an advantage for 99.99% of fans. 

If Ermolenko fell at Cradley during a meeting the crowd would erupt in cheers. Did they want him hurt? Of course not (well a few nutters might). The same would happen back at Monmore with a Cradley rider. And it was FANTASTIC. 

As for the Proctor incident last night, of course there was no cheering, I doubt there would have been even in the matches I mention above, that wasn't a case of a rider 'sliding off and an instant celebratory cheer... it was an incident you saw developing and everyone thought was going to become a major crash. My reaction would have been a huge sigh of relief that he managed to fall so 'tamely' compared to what it could have been.

Edited by BWitcher
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, bigcatdiary said:

And why on earth isn’t it any two riders of the team managers choice, subject to them not already having taken 7 rides or is that just too easy.

I believe it was brought in to ensure that teams who had nothing to gain from Heat 15 did not just put out their reserves and/or their least costly riders.

4 hours ago, foreverblue said:

How can they possibly come back from 8 down at home to winning by more than 8 away, Lemon knows it, all BV fans know it. Has any team overturned such a deficit having lost so heavily at home. 

Yes!    Rye House did it at Berwick a few years back -- that's the one I think of, off the top of my head -- and I'm sure there are other instances.

Having said that, KL would have to have a pretty spectacular collapse........................

9 minutes ago, Fred Flange said:

I did say you can't legislate for individuals but trust me, if I saw a rider or manager celebrating a crash I'd mention it.

The rest sort of makes sense until you remember the huge cheer on the tv for the crash when thorsell broke his back because the scum thought it was just tungate high siding!

Thanks for making excuses for cheering crashes.

I'm not making excuses. I'm explaining the reality. The cheers are not because a rider has crashed, it's because your team has gained. When it's a big crash occasionally there is an initial cheer if your team has gained, followed by complete silence. It's not nice when a rider may be injured but there is no malice at all in 99.99% of the cases. 

The sport needs more passionate support such as this to create an atmosphere.. not total silence all the time which you tend to get from the 'older' generation. Part of why it's in the mess that it is.

Edited by BWitcher
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, bigcatdiary said:

And why on earth isn’t it any two riders of the team managers choice, subject to them not already having taken 7 rides or is that just too easy.

Not really, the rule was introduced to prevent a team manager putting two low-earning dumplings out in Heat 15 if the match was already lost or won.    

The difference between paying two world-class guys for a meaningless 5-1 and one point to a reserve is considerable.    Probably at least a grand.

The rule was brought in for the benefit of the paying public.

13 hours ago, ouch said:

I see we got 9 points from Craig & Dans rides. Ouch. 

Great effort from the battered and bruised Aces. 

Can we carry our luck bank over to next year or does it reset at the end of the season like normal. lol 

Does that not have to be balanced out by the fact Jye scored more last night than the replacement scored in 5 meetings at Belle Vue since he was sacked (9 compared to something like 6+1).:cheers:

• Like 1

Big performance last night well done the Stars - might just come out of speedway supporters retirement for the final 

4 minutes ago, Haza said:

Big performance last night well done the Stars - might just come out of speedway supporters retirement for the final 

Glory hunter :D

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Haza said:

You had better hold fire until they announce the admission prices :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rob B said:

Like I said last night Dale Allitt was the aggressor in it all and should be ashamed of his actions.

Etheridge wasn’t too happy with Jorgensen (who did nothing wrong in my view) but it was only a bit of finger pointing and they were 2 metres away from each other.

Jorgensen then pulled right in front of Etheridge as they came to a stop, Dale Allitt and Simon Lambert then aggressively got right in Etheridge face, Etheridge mechanic was stood behind them and said something and Allitt turned round and grabbed him by the top and pushed him until he was pinned against the fence like he was a night club bouncer.

Aaron Summers there for some reason then pushed Allitt and Allitt nearly fell on his backside.

F148194B-6A46-4050-BAD1-48C277719F90.jpeg

What would have been really funny, and replayed forever, would have been if the fat boy had gone over when he was shoved.  Like the referee Di Canio pushed.

In ice hockey, if two players have a spat and drop their gloves, it's no big deal -- two minutes off the ice.     But if a third party joins in, that party get a red card for the rest of the match!

So speedway handbags should maybe be condoned between two riders in the interest of crowd entertainment (they are protected by helmets, gloves and padded suits after all) but any other riders, hangers-on or worse, team managers, who try to jump in should be banned from the pits immediately.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pointsmeanplayoffs said:

There was one plank calling Ty a 'cheat' in the South Stand - implying that he should have cleared the track as the Aces were on another 5-1 when Ty crashed. There's always one - we have idiots at our place too!

Come to think of it, wonder if it was the same guy who started the 'Easy Easy Easy' chant when the Aces went 10 clear?!?

The Aces fans on the backstraight were good fun IMO, as was the mascot Chase. 

Just finished catching up with this thread after a very late night.Couple of diversions back from Manchester last night and dropping friends off i managed to get into bed at 3-30am.

First of all not the best match seen at the NSS,but i'm sure most fans would still like to see this track as their home track.It was great to see us pulling off a win from being 10 points down.I was just hoping when we were 10 down that we could pull it back a bit and keep it closer for the 2nd leg.But to get an 18pt swing in our favour in just 8 hts i think was quite incredible,especially as Fricke was in 4 of those races.

As regards the plank,he wasn't nice at all was he.Think he had too many beers and probably the one smoking weed which you could smell quite clearly wafting our way.He seemed quite an aggressive person too and said some unpleasant things about the Lynn fans.But as you said it was only the one person and you get them everywhere.He actually left before ht 15.A Belle Vue fan we chatted to actually said the plank hardly ever goes and when he does he is always the same.

Got to agree re all the Aces fans bar one were good fun,and you could chat with any of them.And are in the same opinion as me,anyone bar Poole:D.

On the Etheridge,Jorgensen battle.Imo Jorgensen did ride him hard but fair but the red mist seemed to be building up in Etheridge's goggles and after the race the fracas didn't start at the pits,it started on the 3rd,4th bend where Etheridge seemed to approach Jorgensen and went shoulder to shoulder or as near as damn it.This is when things started to boil over imo.Gets people talking though doesn't it,think that benefits speedway in the long run a bit of argy bargy on the track/pits.

• Like 2