British Speedway Forum
lisa-colette

Belle Vue vs Kings Lynn Playoff Semi 1st Leg 24/09/18

3 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

To me it looked like Dale was trying to diffuse a situation which he thought was going to occur but hadn’t really got started and instead it made things worse.

All a bit of a storm in a teacup really, he apologised and that should be that. Emotions run high in important meetings and I’m sure Etheridge will look on it this morning and feel a bit silly for his actions too. Not really worth people getting their knickers in a twist over IMO.

That's how I saw it too as it developed, unfortunately he then found himself right in the middle of the whole handbag issue.

All very unnecessary from all parties concerned but at least he apologised as he should have done for his part in the melee, all caused by a silly reaction from Etheridge. It’s good to see him so passionate for a team that binned him tho!

14 minutes ago, tellboy said:

I would think you would find ticket prices are increased for any final in any sport.

Exactly. In the Super League play-off semis the best seats in the house at Wigan & St Helens are around £25. In the final at Old Trafford the best seats are £85 !!

15 minutes ago, stevebrum said:

That's how I saw it too as it developed, unfortunately he then found himself right in the middle of the whole handbag issue.

All very unnecessary from all parties concerned but at least he apologised as he should have done for his part in the melee, all caused by a silly reaction from Etheridge. It’s good to see him so passionate for a team that binned him tho!

Judging by what Jye said in the after match press conference his passion was more for his own safety rather than for Belle Vue, such was how he saw the move Jorgensen made against him.

Also Mark Lemon praised Jye in the press conference for taking the guest booking.

15 minutes ago, tellboy said:

I would think you would find ticket prices are increased for any final in any sport.

But that doesn't make it right  .       Most finals in most sports are held at a neutral venue and the competing teams have no say in the charging of admission,  it is normally done by the governing body.  I appreciate the promotion wants to earn a few bob out of the occasion, but to charge those fans extra, who have stuck by you for 50 odd years  don't sound right to me.     I would have thought the PO final would, in itself bring in double the crowd, hence  more revenue coming in to club.    

Personally ,  if we could be assured of filling the stadium,  I'd reduce the cost  to attract Joe Public to come in and witness the best speedway has to offer...   Nothing would compare with a full stadium generating an unbelievable evening....     Just think of the revenue Buster would gained from all the shops and bars    :t:  :cheers:

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Phil The Ace said:

Racing wise that was worse one of the season. 

Out on a whimper 

Agreed, it wasn't anywhere near the usual standard, but was it really the worst? I only ask that a bit tongue in cheek, because even when the Stars were behind on the scoreboard, a Stars fan near me said it was 'just brilliant' compared to anything he'd seen this season elsewhere in the 30+ meetings he had attended.

Anyhow, it was certainly far far below the standard of the racing we witnessed in the two recent Somerset matches.

1 minute ago, GregoryM said:

Agreed, it wasn't anywhere near the usual standard, but was it really the worst? I only ask that a bit tongue in cheek, because even when the Stars were behind on the scoreboard, a Stars fan near me said it was 'just brilliant' compared to anything he'd seen this season elsewhere in the 30+ meetings he had attended.

Anyhow, it was certainly far far below the standard of the racing we witnessed in the two recent Somerset matches.

How much could that be proportioned to the state of the track??   I think the slick track and afternoon practice was with the intention to upset the Stars riders, bearing in mind how they enjoyed  their previous 2 visits, when there was plenty of grip.     But as the evening wore on the Stars sorted out their bikes,  got dialled in and were equal to the conditions.   Even though the track was not of the normal standard it was still better than anything else we had raced on this year providing plenty of racing lines, and close racing.....

There's no denying  the fast outside lines and once a top rider  hits that outside  he will take some catching.       

If I lived near the NSS,  I would be going to every single meeting.    Cant believe the low figures issued by the club.     Many times I went to a packed house at Hyde Road,   as good as we thought it was,   the track could never be compared with that at the NSS...….

3 hours ago, Gambo said:

I believe it was brought in to ensure that teams who had nothing to gain from Heat 15 did not just put out their reserves and/or their least costly riders.

I dare say that's right Dave but it can still be circumvented what with exclusions for tapes and 2 minutes etc.

3 minutes ago, g13webb said:

How much could that be proportioned to the state of the track??   I think the slick track and afternoon practice was with the intention to upset the Stars riders, bearing in mind how they enjoyed  their previous 2 visits, when there was plenty of grip.     But as the evening wore on the Stars sorted out their bikes,  got dialled in and were equal to the conditions.   Even though the track was not of the normal standard it was still better than anything else we had raced on this year providing plenty of racing lines, and close racing.....

There's no denying  the fast outside lines and once a top rider  hits that outside  he will take some catching.       

If I lived near the NSS,  I would be going to every single meeting.    Cant believe the low figures issued by the club.     Many times I went to a packed house at Hyde Road,   as good as we thought it was,   the track could never be compared with that at the NSS...….

I think your spot on I think the track was changed to try and catch KL out, which makes sense considering they have won twice already this season.  Crowds at BV are quite good compared to UK speedway standards and are probably the best in the country.  But we have the same issues as everyone else in trying to entice new fans.

52 minutes ago, SUPERACE said:

He was carrying an injury hence the reason he packed it on for the season.

It doesn't say anything about an injury on the Ipswich site.

If Etheridge was worried for his safety in heat 14 I suggest he takes up bowls or snooker and stops racing motorcycles.

• Like 6

41 minutes ago, GregoryM said:

Compared to what is on offer at King's Lynn every week, last night would have been the best meeting of the season to Stars fans that don't have access to TV meetings. Even though there has been far better meetings for Belle Vue fans, you are very spoilt and lucky with what you have on offer every week.

1 hour ago, GregoryM said:

Judging by what Jye said in the after match press conference his passion was more for his own safety rather than for Belle Vue, such was how he saw the move Jorgensen made against him.

Also Mark Lemon praised Jye in the press conference for taking the guest booking.

Full respect for Jye to help the club that binned him.

As for his ‘safety’, he rides a bike with no breaks and gears. He was out of order, he shouldn’t be making excuses.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ouch said:

Are you referring to the injured Mark Riss?

I am for 4 meetings.  Jonas B also rode in the cup match as a guest.

You therefore got 18 points (haven't watched match yet so going by your points totals) for Cook, Bewley and Riss.  I think that's a fairer assessment than saying you got 9 points for Bewley and Cook.:drink:

On another point about the tie being over.

Ask Robert Lambert how his Swedish team got on last week after winning away the week before (Rospigarna 51-39).  He won't be very impressed due to getting beat 52-38 at home. :cheers:

Edited by sparks123
added point

30 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

Compared to what is on offer at King's Lynn every week, last night would have been the best meeting of the season to Stars fans that don't have access to TV meetings. Even though there has been far better meetings for Belle Vue fans, you are very spoilt and lucky with what you have on offer every week.

You are dead right, we've become so used to the fabulous racing at the NSS that what was a pretty ordinary meeting racing-wise didn't excite.  Given that the Ht13s at both previous matches were classics it makes us hard to please.  After the years of standing in the cold at the dog track up the road not knowing what sort of track to expect though means we really appreciate what we have.  The crowds have improved a great deal since the move and if we can get back to Fridays, I'm sure they will again.

• Like 1