British Speedway Forum
Aces51

Belle Vue v Somerset KO Cup Semi Final 2nd Leg 19.9.18

1 hour ago, Fromafar said:

Great race, what a race track NSS is,and whoever prepares it seems to know what they are doing.Lots of grip all over track and evenly spread.It must be this special shale that all the other promoters and track men are unable to find ,when they make their excuses.:rolleyes:

That would be Andy Meredith (son of Colin) who does a great job, even with the infamous Manchester weather to contend with. There was heavy rain yesterday afternoon, some Belle Vue fans on social media were ridiculously questioning if the meeting would be on, the track can take rain no problem and they were watering from heat 4 onwards.

4 hours ago, Halifaxtiger said:

Another cracking meeting at the NSS :approve: highlighted by a stunning heat 13 that surpassed even the much hyped one from a couple of weeks ago.

Best sight for me was Craig Cook at his very best. After a poor start in his first ride, he was just brilliant whether he was out of the gate or not.  Those who suggest it is time for him to move on have got it very wrong for me.

While I accept that Belle Vue's attendances are better than most, it is still disappointing to see the grandstand half full when it has been two thirds or three quarters full in the past. There were mitigating factors last night, but it still doesn't make it much less disappointing.

I agree, this week's Ht 13 was a little better than the previous one. Seeing Cook move Doyle off the line was a treat. So if Fricke doesn't get them on the outside Cook will on the inside!

Also very nice to see Cook back at his best, not only fast again but appearing so much more confident. As for next year, who knows.  Will he be up the road at Glasgow if they move up? 

Hope KL have been watching, they can't take an aggregate victory over us for granted especially if we have Etheridge supporting Berge at reserve as has been suggested. 

Time to order your season ticket?

1 hour ago, Fromafar said:

Great race, what a race track NSS is,and whoever prepares it seems to know what they are doing.Lots of grip all over track and evenly spread.It must be this special shale that all the other promoters and track men are unable to find ,when they make their excuses.:rolleyes:

Good race but it looks like Jason slightly lifted goin into the third bend on the last lap which allowed Fricke to get over him, in all previous laps Jason had attacked that bend. No complaints tho cracking race.

23 minutes ago, Rob B said:

All tracks like that, if you had great racing in first few heats the racing will be poor later on as won't be any dirt left on the outside. Doyle did pass Fricke in heat 1 last night.

Agree,the first few heats are always worse on well  prepared track ,then it comes into its own.Natural water in previous day's always helps(just hope it doesn't rain on day).

That was better than last week.

At some point every rider had the lead during that race and every rider was essentially at the back as well. 

BV/Somerset do seem to enjoy each others company. 

Well done to them on the win. I have a sneaky feeling BV are going to do KL after last night. 

Edited by acef

Disappointing to go out but having watch Ht13 again it’s difficult to stay disappointed for too long. 

Love the NSS and The Aces. 

• Like 4

Why can't Cook bring that toughness to the GP's?!?

He's always backing out of wheel to wheel racing in the GP's, shutting off in the corners but he's proved in that race he's got it in him to push a rider hard.

Bring that form to the GP's please Craig :t:

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Phil The Ace said:

NSS still has it's faults  for some reason again the 1st half dozen heats were FTG then it kicks in. Very rare for us to have good racing early on 

I can't recall a single track that is prepared, on a consistent basis, to give proper racing from the off.  Although I have seen decent racing from Heat 1 at the NSS. 

There are 2 possible answers.

1)  Research methods to give proper racing from heat 1.

2)  Run 5 heats of junior racing prior to the main match.

Another amazing heat 13, brace yourself for all those people that see races like that all the time at every other track in the country... :rolleyes:

Edited by Stoke Potter

9 minutes ago, Stoke Potter said:

I can't recall a single track that is prepared, on a consistent basis, to give proper racing from the off.  Although I have seen decent racing from Heat 1 at the NSS. 

Another amazing heat 13, brace yourself for all those people that see races like that all the time at every other track in the country... :rolleyes:

I've always wanted the juniors to race pre meeting. Unless conditions are dangerous then go out after 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Stoke Potter said:

I think the south  coast  poster is serving a little ban at present so we might have to wait .:)

Roll on Monday when we can all watch the racing at the NSS on tv, should be a cracker with Kings Lynn in town, NKI, Robert Lambert and of course an in form Riss! Same name completely different ability.

3 hours ago, Buttons said:

Great to see B V fans offering congratulations to the opposing team, a pity another play off clubs  fans aren't so generous !! 

Yes you are correct there, I don't remember any Somerset fans praising Poole for their efforts on Monday.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fred Flange said:

There were several races won from the gate but I can only think of heat 5 when the order didn't change after the back straight on the first lap?

It was Andy Meredith's dad who accidentally discovered slick is better at Belle Vue. He told me he had prepared what he thought was the perfect track for the world cup race off but the racing was a disappointment. Against instinct it was prepared much slicker for the final and it was fantastic.

Yes, the play off was the worst meeting seen at the NSS by a country mile.. The track was too grippy and too fast, with NKI breaking the Track Record, a record which he still holds today.

4 hours ago, Buttons said:

Great to see B V fans offering congratulations to the opposing team, a pity another play off clubs  fans aren't so generous !! 

1 hour ago, foreverblue said:

Yes you are correct there, I don't remember any Somerset fans praising Poole for their efforts on Monday.

That's probably because the tie isn't over yet. The BV fans were congratulating their opponents AFTER the tie was completed. Just saying :rolleyes:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cliffeboy said:

Good race but it looks like Jason slightly lifted goin into the third bend on the last lap which allowed Fricke to get over him, in all previous laps Jason had attacked that bend. No complaints tho cracking race.

He did lift but that just adds to the theatre. All good races have different things that make them special. He was under so much pressure it forced the mistake. 

That race was better than last week. The TV production and the live factor made that race last week what it was, but last night was better. They were all in the race and literally you could throw a blanket over all 4 of them.

Agree with the other poster about cook. I actually think he's got progressively better this season and as poor as he's been in the GP I think we are now actually seeing the benifit of it for Craig. He's becoming more aggressive and his last interview on SGP alludes to this. He's racing the track, not the riders now. 

Shame. I think this season is going to hurt him over the next couple of seasons.