British Speedway Forum
Aces51

Belle Vue v Somerset KO Cup Semi Final 2nd Leg 19.9.18

6 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

I preferred the race from a couple of weeks ago but that may be because of the extra camera angles and watching it ‘live’. However last nights was still an incredible race going by the video. Must be a nightmare leading a race later on in an NSS meeting with both opponents all over you, impossible to know where to ride as there are so many lines of attack.

The reason i m o that last weeks race seemed better is the fact that you watched it live.It might seem crazy but watching both heat 13s on screen left me feeling a little disappointed after watching both live.

Live speedway at the NSS(as is any speedway) is so much better as you are sat close to the action looking down right on top of the track.To me on screen the riders don't seem to be going anywhere near as fast and you can appreciate more how close the riders are racing with each other plus the noise and crowd reaction etc.On screen the races were brilliant, live the were out of this world and speedway heaven.

If you have not yet seen live speedway at the NSS it just has to be on your bucket list.

Edited by B.V 72
  • Like 2

Hope you appreciate how lucky you are B.V 72 your crowds should be well into four figures

Edited by bruno
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, bruno said:

Hope you appreciate how lucky you are B.V 72 your crowds should be well into four figures

Yes I do Bruno season ticket holder for both the Aces and the Colts so I am lapping it up.As I say speedway heaven:D.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, mikebv said:

Why is it disappointing though HT?

Speedway is just a tiny minority Sport in the UK..

I think we as fans need to adjust our expectations of what crowd levels the sport should get..

The Sport is on a level (at best) with Ice Hockey in the UK and maybe even smaller than that considering they managed to get 7000 at the play off final at a neutral venue. (Speedway couldn't do that I am sure)...

And the downward trend in crowd levels historically each year would suggest in five years or so a half full grandstand would be seen as a positive thing as circa 100 or so 'regulars' seem to drop off annually...

Considering hardly anyone virtually on their doorstep could name who the club is and what it does, never mind name or recognise any of the riders who ride for them, the crowds are not that bad...

(For Speedway)...

I take your point here and I suspect that part of my view results from being a speedway fan and not understanding why, when the racing is that good, there aren't more in attendance. That's just my prejudice I suppose.

Having said that, Belle Vue's gates doubled when they moved from the Doghole so to suggest that crowds are continually down isn't necessarily true. Even now, gates will still be higher at the NSS than they were across the fence. 

The other thing is I have seen much bigger attendances at the NSS over the three seasons the Aces have been there - including this year -  so when there is an attractive fixture like that its not unreasonable to believe that the gate will be a decent one, up there with the better figures. It wasn't. There are other factors involved of course but that doesn't lessen the feeling of disappointment much. 

In looking at this I don't consider speedway's minority sport status and merely make a comparison between the numbers that have attended meetings over the season.

Edited by Halifaxtiger

13 hours ago, B.V 72 said:

The reason i m o that last weeks race seemed better is the fact that you watched it live.It might seem crazy but watching both heat 13s on screen left me feeling a little disappointed after watching both live.

Live speedway at the NSS(as is any speedway) is so much better as you are sat close to the action looking down right on top of the track.To me on screen the riders don't seem to be going anywhere near as fast and you can appreciate more how close the riders are racing with each other plus the noise and crowd reaction etc.On screen the races were brilliant, live the were out of this world and speedway heaven.

If you have not yet seen live speedway at the NSS it just has to be on your bucket list.

Not crazy at all. In my view, absolutely bang on.

It simply wasn't anywhere near as good watching the recording as it was being at the track (although the fact that I was aware of what happened probably made a difference) .

• Like 1

18 hours ago, coldace said:

I agree, this week's Ht 13 was a little better than the previous one. Seeing Cook move Doyle off the line was a treat. So if Fricke doesn't get them on the outside Cook will on the inside!

Also very nice to see Cook back at his best, not only fast again but appearing so much more confident. As for next year, who knows.  Will he be up the road at Glasgow if they move up? 

Hope KL have been watching, they can't take an aggregate victory over us for granted especially if we have Etheridge supporting Berge at reserve as has been suggested. 

Time to order your season ticket?

With racing like that and getting home before 10pm its looking more likely :D

• Thanks 1

I showed two mates that race last night and it did absolutely nothing for them, just bikes going around in a circle. I suppose if you don't get it there's not a lot anyone can do to get newbies through the turnstiles

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, bruno said:

I showed two mates that race last night and it did absolutely nothing for them, just bikes going around in a circle. I suppose if you don't get it there's not a lot anyone can do to get newbies through the turnstiles

I think there is almost nothing that can be done to bring newbies through the turnstiles, to view UK speedway, AND get them to return time after time. Only the creation of a completely new motorcycle racing sport, perceived as far from old-fashioned speedway as possible and as far from the "first away wins" tag speedway holds.

The recent classic speedway races from the NSS are genuine classics that the purists will savour as long as they can be seen online. But they are so rare that no-one can go to meetings elsewhere expecting to see anything like that, except maybe once a season. Newbies very likely need 50% of the races they watch in a match to be something like that and it is impossible on almost every other UK track.

48 minutes ago, waytogo28 said:

and it is impossible on almost every other UK track.

So the obvious conclusion, staring the sport in the face: 
Fix the tracks, more tracks like B.V.

Leicester are apparently improving their track during the close season, are they making it more like B.V.?  Of course they aren't!

IMO Leicester doesn't have the room to make their track like BV, unless they knock the main stand down or the stand on the back straight. Track needs to be fatter if to be like BV

1 hour ago, waytogo28 said:

I think there is almost nothing that can be done to bring newbies through the turnstiles, to view UK speedway, AND get them to return time after time. Only the creation of a completely new motorcycle racing sport, perceived as far from old-fashioned speedway as possible and as far from the "first away wins" tag speedway holds.

The recent classic speedway races from the NSS are genuine classics that the purists will savour as long as they can be seen online. But they are so rare that no-one can go to meetings elsewhere expecting to see anything like that, except maybe once a season. Newbies very likely need 50% of the races they watch in a match to be something like that and it is impossible on almost every other UK track.

if you get the right people promoting the sport then the sport will flourish, is speedway any more boring than darts?..certainly not but just take a look at how that sport is promoted.

2 hours ago, Odds On said:

if you get the right people promoting the sport then the sport will flourish

I agree but we are stuck with those who currently invest in and promote UK speedway and finding the "right people"  with funds and prepared to invest in the sport here, is very unlikely. Perhaps a takeover by Polish speedway moguls?

On 9/20/2018 at 6:23 AM, Halifaxtiger said:

Another cracking meeting at the NSS :approve: highlighted by a stunning heat 13 that surpassed even the much hyped one from a couple of weeks ago.

Best sight for me was Craig Cook at his very best. After a poor start in his first ride, he was just brilliant whether he was out of the gate or not.  Those who suggest it is time for him to move on have got it very wrong for me.

While I accept that Belle Vue's attendances are better than most, it is still disappointing to see the grandstand half full when it has been two thirds or three quarters full in the past. There were mitigating factors last night, but it still doesn't make it much less disappointing.

Mid week..... kids back at school... school the next day..

noticeable improvement in attendance during school  holidays

• Like 1

For the Somerset fans. And congratulations to you for making it through to the final, there was another race (heat 12) where your rider BWD did a max fricke from the meeting before but diddnt get a mention because of heat 13, 

Well.if you go to my twitter I've just posted the vid. Very good by BWD. @philtheace

• Like 2

On 9/21/2018 at 8:24 AM, OveFundinFan said:

IMO Leicester doesn't have the room to make their track like BV, unless they knock the main stand down or the stand on the back straight. Track needs to be fatter if to be like BV

I think you are probably right but if that's what needs to happen to get a proper track in there then they should do it. 

Goes without saying that they won't do what's required and will basically keep wasting money playing at it.
Plenty of space around Beaumont park for a proper sized/shaped track.