British Speedway Forum

Think Brummies should look at bringing in Jack L EE he got a bad team running properly untill the promoter was pushed out by Mole and Durys under arm tack  ticks

30 minutes ago, ProudtobeaBrummie said:

He wants to be some sort of d list celebrity the guy is a embarrassment particularly to Birmingham speedway if he had anything about him he would step down ..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

N L R C was a great meeting years ago but to put it on at gaters paradise was always going to be a mistake.Shame on who ever prepared the track cant see it being the regular guy

Awful meeting. Pleased no one got seriously injured.

The ONLY good thing I have to say about it is.........the big big smile on Barry Bishops face after an IOW 1&2. 

The effort he and his team out into PROMOTING speedway,they all deserved this. Congratulations everyone from IOW.

• Like 6

I didn't go so I can't give an opinion as to the racing but it just goes to show how differently fans react with regard to their enjoyment of a meeting. Reading the posts on here I get the impression it was boring, the usual processional stuff and riders having problems with the track yet elsewhere the comments were  1] 'What a great meeting that was. Not all from the gate and some good racing.' 2] 'Great meeting. Really enjoyed it.'  3] 'Enjoyed this meeting today. Plenty of determination and grit.'  4] 'I enjoyed that. Good entertaining Speedway.'  So presumably some fans are easily pleased? 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Gemini said:

I didn't go so I can't give an opinion as to the racing but it just goes to show how differently fans react with regard to their enjoyment of a meeting. Reading the posts on here I get the impression it was boring, the usual processional stuff and riders having problems with the track yet elsewhere the comments were  1] 'What a great meeting that was. Not all from the gate and some good racing.' 2] 'Great meeting. Really enjoyed it.'  3] 'Enjoyed this meeting today. Plenty of determination and grit.'  4] 'I enjoyed that. Good entertaining Speedway.'  So presumably some fans are easily pleased? 

I've no idea what meeting they were watching if they've said that.It took until heat 8 for a pass and that was bend 2 lap 1.Riders following each other around basically hoping for a mistake.Riders bouncing all over the place and being shot right across the bend.How they avoided each other at times I'll never know.

Everyone can have their opinions on the track shape etc but the track prep hasn't been as good in the 2nd half of the season. Yes in the first half if the season it was very dry at times (hot weather didn't help) but it seemed more smooth. Now the track especially 3rd-4th bends have bumps and ruts sending riders towards the fence at times. Work needed on it this week and during the winter for sure.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Richard Weston said:

Someone, somewhere forget value for money. Programme sounds to be a disgrace for £2.50.

For what it cost, it must be the worst programme in many a long year.

Dragons Speedway Club and Lydd produce programmes nearly as good, and you usually make a minimal donation for one of them.

• Like 1

I cannot see how some people are saying that there was not much passing yesterday there was quite a bit I thought.

The track was a little bit greasy for the first round of heats but that was due to the shower of rain before the start of the meeting.

To say there was fallers in most races is wrong and the ones that did fall was due to the rider being out of control like Drew Kemp he was off gate 4 missed the gate and went too fast into the heavy dirt and couldn’t hold.

The Leicester track does have to be ridden hard and attacked as if you try to go into the bends slow or narrow it does shoot you out mid track that showed with the likes of Bickley,Wooley and Woodhull they were shutting off into the bends so going straight where as likes of Wood,Clegg and Bowtell were keeping the gas on all the way round 

13 hours ago, WalterPlinge said:

Didn't seem a bad crowd at all.   I reckon near 500 maybe.

But what a disgrace of a track.   Made Stoke look like a billiard table.

Riders struggling to stay on.  Bends 1 and 3 were diabolical.  Falls in most races, but not the fault of the riders, purely the track.

The only passing came in the title run off when Morley and Bowtell were having a battle, but even then the track was the winner, causing Bowtell to fall.   Morley was handed the title in an anticlimax as Bowtell lay there on whatever that rubble was that they used instead of shale.

Leicester should be fined and banned from ever holding a BSPA meeting again.

From memory, Drew Kemp fell, and Jon Armstrong fell after being pushed to the limit by Mark Baseby. Alfie Bowtell fell in the run off. Unless I missed some falls this is hardly "Falls in most races". 

10 hours ago, speedy bill said:

N L R C was a great meeting years ago but to put it on at gaters paradise was always going to be a mistake.Shame on who ever prepared the track cant see it being the regular guy

The "regular guy" is now Graham Trollope and he prepared it yesterday.  

4 hours ago, adz_mft said:

I've no idea what meeting they were watching if they've said that.It took until heat 8 for a pass and that was bend 2 lap 1.Riders following each other around basically hoping for a mistake.Riders bouncing all over the place and being shot right across the bend.How they avoided each other at times I'll never know.

Definitely the worst track I've seen this year and the worst meeting.   

Despite a lot of the top NL riders being missing, there was still a good quality field, but they were unable to show their skills on such a diabolical track which saw races finished with riders half a lap apart in nearly every race....(that's when 4 managed to finish).   Quite a few fallers and a hell of a lot of races where the track just sent riders shooting across the bends and they then pulled up having been left so far behind.

I was told there were big holes in the 1st and 3rd bend that had been covered up with just loose stones and that's what made it so dangerous.      

Track certainly left a lot to be desired and the vast majority of riders struggled to keep control in the 1st half of the meeting.  Later on as it

got slicker, the riding and racing improved and the final match race between Morley and Bowtell was a classic until Alfie turned it over in

the heavy grip on bend 2.  Do not understand why track curators get it wrong so often.

2 hours ago, flagrag said:

I cannot see how some people are saying that there was not much passing yesterday there was quite a bit I thought.

The track was a little bit greasy for the first round of heats but that was due to the shower of rain before the start of the meeting.

To say there was fallers in most races is wrong and the ones that did fall was due to the rider being out of control like Drew Kemp he was off gate 4 missed the gate and went too fast into the heavy dirt and couldn’t hold.

The Leicester track does have to be ridden hard and attacked as if you try to go into the bends slow or narrow it does shoot you out mid track that showed with the likes of Bickley,Wooley and Woodhull they were shutting off into the bends so going straight where as likes of Wood,Clegg and Bowtell were keeping the gas on all the way round 

I counted three genuine passes all afternoon, ignoring the run-off.

You're right with your comments about fallers.  There were only three of those, and they came in Heat 1, 4 & 7 Once again ignoring the Run-off)  

7 hours ago, adz_mft said:

Glad I didn't bother going as I've never been interested in individual meetings and it's quite an effort for me to get there these days. Just hope the track is better next Sunday for the Bees v Eagles match. 

The track was watered heavily beforehand but was very bumpy and unpredictable, not giving the riders the best chance to shine. Shame, because the NL riders are far better than they showed. Credit to the riders for trying to race on a poor track tho