British Speedway Forum

On 10/1/2018 at 9:39 AM, CottonOn said:

Definitely the worst track I've seen this year and the worst meeting.   

Despite a lot of the top NL riders being missing, there was still a good quality field, but they were unable to show their skills on such a diabolical track which saw races finished with riders half a lap apart in nearly every race....(that's when 4 managed to finish).   Quite a few fallers and a hell of a lot of races where the track just sent riders shooting across the bends and they then pulled up having been left so far behind.

I was told there were big holes in the 1st and 3rd bend that had been covered up with just loose stones and that's what made it so dangerous.      

did you expect Sheldon davies to keep up and not finish half a lap behind ?

Once again the usual suspects stick the boot into Laurence Rogers. In doing so, they show just how subjective and prejudiced their views are.

As can clearly be seen from those - including me - that were there, this meeting was dreadful for one reason and one reason only - the state of the track. That was, by any standards, bloody awful - rutted, bumpy, greasy and patchy. Its why the riders spent more time battling with the surface than each other. 

That, of course, was entirely the responsibility of Leicester Speedway and completely out of Rogers' control. 

As a further point to those who choose to blame him for everything, he also wasn't responsible for the lousy weather, rider absences or the food (which looked positively revolting). 

While I would admit that the programme wasn't good, aside from that the organisation - at least as far as I could see - was pretty decent (unnecessary interval apart). Every heat and rider was sponsored, as was the meeting. It began on time and ended in reasonable time. All riders received a memento of the occasion and body colours (also sponsored) were auctioned for the SRBF. 

I'd never pretend to be unbiased where Laurence is concerned. But to blame him for how poor this meeting was is totally wrong.

• Like 2

On 10/11/2018 at 8:38 AM, adonis said:

did you expect Sheldon davies to keep up and not finish half a lap behind ?

Didn't expect Sheldon Davies to score much, but yes, I expected him to keep up, which he did.  Seems a promising young rider.

1 hour ago, Halifaxtiger said:

Once again the usual suspects stick the boot into Laurence Rogers. In doing so, they show just how subjective and prejudiced their views are.

As can clearly be seen from those - including me - that were there, this meeting was dreadful for one reason and one reason only - the state of the track. That was, by any standards, bloody awful - rutted, bumpy, greasy and patchy. Its why the riders spent more time battling with the surface than each other. 

That, of course, was entirely the responsibility of Leicester Speedway and completely out of Rogers' control. 

As a further point to those who choose to blame him for everything, he also wasn't responsible for the lousy weather, rider absences or the food (which looked positively revolting). 

While I would admit that the programme wasn't good, aside from that the organisation - at least as far as I could see - was pretty decent (unnecessary interval apart). Every heat and rider was sponsored, as was the meeting. It began on time and ended in reasonable time. All riders received a memento of the occasion and body colours (also sponsored) were auctioned for the SRBF. 

I'd never pretend to be unbiased where Laurence is concerned. But to blame him for how poor this meeting was is totally wrong.

Agree entirely.  Wouldn't fault Rodgers at all on this one.   The organisation was good, the meeting seemed pretty well sponsored.  I didn't even think the programme was too bad.  

The only thing wrong with the meeting was the diabolical track.  As you say the riders spend more time battling the terrible track than battling with each other.   Rodgers wasn't responsible for the track.  in fact he looked quite embarrassed by it. 

2 hours ago, CottonOn said:

Didn't expect Sheldon Davies to score much, but yes, I expected him to keep up, which he did.  Seems a promising young rider.

Agree entirely.  Wouldn't fault Rodgers at all on this one.   The organisation was good, the meeting seemed pretty well sponsored.  I didn't even think the programme was too bad.  

The only thing wrong with the meeting was the diabolical track.  As you say the riders spend more time battling the terrible track than battling with each other.   Rodgers wasn't responsible for the track.  in fact he looked quite embarrassed by it. 

and all the lads got at least £100 in sponsorship  because every one of them was sponsored for at least that much

All riders got £10 a point they scored.the riders sponsor money goes to pay for there tyre and fuel and what’s left goes in someone’s back pocket....