British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
singy13

Derwent Park

I don't really want to be a prophet of doom....but as a former boy scout let's 'be prepared'.

I'm concerned regarding the main topic of conversation by Townies near me at the Workington Town match last Sunday.

Yes I watch both Comets and Town at the 'good old stadium'...and found it rather scary at the talk of a new stadium being planned at the Borough Park/former greyhound track site..with a 4G pitch.

Scary..? why ? well it's ok to hear of the Rugby League and Football clubs/fans/players to have spanking new facilities....but seemingly with no speedway included....oh crap!!

I asked what of Derwent Park's future then ?..........'to be demolished' was a response...wow...no way.????

While I really don't see a new stadium, as aforementioned, being built for some while - so no panic............but let's be prepared to get speedway somehow involved in the new plans at Workington.

Been talk of a.new stadium for years now with a 6000 capacity, town get600 crowds reds 450? comets?? we dont need a new stadium to stand empty its a dream for some a  nightmare for everyone else.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, geoff100 said:

Been talk of a.new stadium for years now with a 6000 capacity, town get600 crowds reds 450? comets?? we dont need a new stadium to stand empty its a dream for some a  nightmare for everyone else.

Talk is on Town forum now.....12,000 capacity.....and you are right no one will normally need it that big.....although Town (Scotland then) have had 7,000 plus for RL World Cup matches a few years back.

Edited by singy13

14 minutes ago, singy13 said:

Talk is on Town forum now.....12,000 capacity.....and you are right no one will normally need it that big.....although Town (Scotland then) have had 7,000 plus for RL World Cup matches a few years back.

But where are those 6000 odd.people on a normal sunday dont think 6000 scots rugby league fans made a treck to derwent park !

1 hour ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Honestly

This is a real genuine concern as no consideration has been given to the Speedway Club and talking to a friend who used to be on the Allerdale Borough Council he has said there is a bit of a power struggle going on at the moment in the "corridors of power" for want of a better phrase and obviously I cant go into much detail but it would appear that the struggle is between the two sporting factions and it is common knowledge that there is a long-standing dislike between the factions who will be putting up Councillors in the forthcoming elections and this will impact the Speedway and you are correct that DP will be going soon with the Football and Rugby sharing a new facility sooner than you think. The new proposed site I believe is Lonsdale Park which was the old dog track and ironically the original Speedway track as well. In my (unqualified) opinion DP has about 7 years left if the "powers that be" get their way and you will see new (Sellafield, BNFL possibly!) offices on that site in the none to distant future.

Again you are correct in stating that all three sports average between 450 to 700 fans for various fixtures, (excluding international and one off events) however Football and Rugby seem to carry much more popular support than Speedway. The ideal situation would be if the Speedway maintained the higher crowd levels which would give the promotion more clout in negotiations and I am not talking thousands here. If the Speedway could pull in another 200 to 300 more fans through the gate the impact would be immense (colossal, huge, massive) in the negotiating power the promotion would have with regard to negotiating and obtaining a new stadium. (Which there is some council support for I must add)

The other issue is the location of any new Speedway Stadium as Northside would have been the natural go to site (I would have assumed) however as you will be aware this site is now being proposed as a new permanent site/home for the "Travellers" who are local to the area and this has cast a major shadow on the proposed development of Northside as a motor sports venue. As stated there is some support on the council for the Speedway at present and I would urge any local Speedway fan to question their counsellors on their view of the sporting allocation and structure in the borough and what importance they (both) place on Workington retaining a Speedway team as there are (as stated) council elections due in the area within the next 18 months I believe. If the old counsellor isn't up for Speedway or wont support it! change your vote! if the other person is for supporting and retaining Speedway regardless of Red, Blue, Yellow or Green party colours (others available) as they are all the same (and just tow the party line rather than support the local community) give the person who is advocating retaining Speedway and promoting a new venue your vote. The old adage of "if you don't use it you will lose it" has never been more true. Not just your vote but your sport and a possible venue to run it)

I am also aware that the promotion have been in discussions with the council to see what the prospects are for the sport going forward and what help and assistance they can expect once the old stadium goes and I have been led to believe that currently there have been positive noises coming out of the Local Authority with regards to the retention of a Speedway team. This however could all change following the elections.

We need to give the promotion all the support and encouragement possible to show them that Speedway is viable in Workington and the fans want to see the club go on for many more years to come. What better opportunity over the next 6/7 weeks as we come to the business end of the season, still in two cup competitions with an excellent chance of progressing in those and a play-off semi final against Glasgow (who will come down in numbers to shout their team on), to show your support for the Comets. The next few weeks could be the catalyst for Speedway in the area, because this team could achieve things no other Comets team has and if that doesn't get the juices flowing and generate some support and interest bringing folk back through the doors I don't know what will.

Get out there, tell people what is happening, bring a neighbour, bring a mate, drag them off the streets and through the doors and cheer this team on to success (you can go to Spoons once the season is finished). #WeBelieve

Regards
THJ

Marvellous !!!:t:

Lets shout it from the Rooftops ....Come and Support this team to some long awaited Silverware and the Promotion for sticking with it these last few months with hurdle after hurdle , would be a travesty to lose Speedway in Workington 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Taylorj said:

Marvellous !!!:t:

Lets shout it from the Rooftops ....Come and Support this team to some long awaited Silverware and the Promotion for sticking with it these last few months with hurdle after hurdle , would be a travesty to lose Speedway in Workington 

Great posts from THJ and Taylorj...................sadly Speedway suffers from the 'circus' syndrome..i.e. Guests/doubling up etc.etc.  The 'Townies' I stand with see it as a boring sport - without actually seeing any of it - I try to dissuade their views but it's hard work......

The Comets of the 1970's provided the Rugby club with a monetary lifeline...i.e. Stadium Rental/bar takings...the latter would have been good given the Comets had 2500 regulars..(.not all of them big drinkers mind lol)........but not sure if that financial aid is still the case for Town seeing only a few hundred are present nowadays...

Yes we now have a Comets team worthy of more support........hopefully history will be made and then those in "the corridors of power" will find a future for Speedway Workington style.

• Like 2

that will be a shame if a classic stadium like Derwent park is flattened . fingers crossed it not true .

18 minutes ago, shazza13 said:

Ive heard from someone connected to the rugby 18months n DP will be demolished... its scary that thought!

6 minutes ago, jenga said:

that will be a shame if a classic stadium like Derwent park is flattened . fingers crossed it not true .

Well the guys at the Rugby match said they weren't winding me up regarding Derwent Parks closure and eventual disappearance.....it's like losing my second home if it happens.

30 minutes ago, shazza13 said:

I've heard from someone connected to the rugby 18 months n DP will be demolished... its scary that thought!

18 minutes ago, jenga said:

9 minutes ago, singy13 said:

Well the guys at the Rugby match said they weren't winding me up regarding Derwent Parks closure and eventual disappearance.....it's like losing my second home if it happens.

Honestly

From what I am hearing its definitely true, things may change because of the shenanigans going on within the council, like I stated earlier but I cant go into much detail as much of it is not out into the public domain yet but it will come out. (or it should) but ultimately that will only delay the inevitable in my view.

If Workington Speedway continue to run we could end up the sole users of the site for a couple of seasons once the Rugby Club move out, (possibly)(as I was advised from a Rugby Club source) but my personal opinion is the clock is running and "If" (but more likely) "When" the plug is pulled on the stadium; something will need to be in place ready to go for the following season or in my view the sport will be lost. That's why we need the support and the fans trough the door and the glory days might just come back however if we had half of those original 2500 fans coming in you could run a Premiership side let alone a Championship team or if you remained in the Championship you would definitely be in the running each season for silverware. Only my personal view however support and a solid fan base are critical (as in almost all other team sports)

Finally if Derwent Park is "like losing my second home" as singy13 puts it where is is first home? Muncaster Castle!!!

All of the above is only my personal opinion and could/should/will be (hopefully) subject to change

Regards
THJ

• Like 2

5 hours ago, singy13 said:

Town can't go any lower than they are now,and the reds have been stuck in the echelons of mediocrity for years,great idea though build a 10-12,000 seater stadium,it'll look awesome with 3 or 4 hundred in it, well done Allerdale district council, where wasting public funds is the only thing you seem good at

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, gregory peck said:

Town can't go any lower than they are now,and the reds have been stuck in the echelons of mediocrity for years,great idea though build a 10-12,000 seater stadium,it'll look awesome with 3 or 4 hundred in it, well done Allerdale district council, where wasting public funds is the only thing you seem good at

Oh do believe me Town HAVE been lower than they are now...I've sat in the stand with another 249 folk around the ground.....but a nice 12,000 capacity stadium might bring such as Rod Stewart to Workington..hey that would be nice.

Totally Honest John......my first home was at St. Bees....not saying where now ha, ha, nowt wrong with Muncaster Castle tho.....but honestly I WILL miss Derwent Park, remember oh so well being among a crowd of 17,741 there.

3 minutes ago, gregory peck said:

They are not wasting public funds. The new stadium is to be funded by the sale of the land that DP stands on and also by an outside developer as part of the deal to build on that land. There is a common misconception that the council own DP, they don’t. The stadium itself is owned 100% by Town, the council own the land it is built on and Town have a long lease on that land.

If the project goes ahead then the new stadium will be operational by 2021 in order to stage 2 games during the Rugby League World Cup.