British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
singy13

Derwent Park

7 minutes ago, Derwent said:

They are not wasting public funds. The new stadium is to be funded by the sale of the land that DP stands on and also by an outside developer as part of the deal to build on that land. There is a common misconception that the council own DP, they don’t. The stadium itself is owned 100% by Town, the council own the land it is built on and Town have a long lease on that land.

If the project goes ahead then the new stadium will be operational by 2021 in order to stage 2 games during the Rugby League World Cup.

Thanks for that fellow 'Townie'.....still wish Speedway could be continued in Workington somehow.

6 hours ago, singy13 said:

I don't really want to be a prophet of doom....but as a former boy scout let's 'be prepared'.

I'm concerned regarding the main topic of conversation by Townies near me at the Workington Town match last Sunday.

Yes I watch both Comets and Town at the 'good old stadium'...and found it rather scary at the talk of a new stadium being planned at the Borough Park/former greyhound track site..with a 4G pitch.

Scary..? why ? well it's ok to hear of the Rugby League and Football clubs/fans/players to have spanking new facilities....but seemingly with no speedway included....oh crap!!

I asked what of Derwent Park's future then ?..........'to be demolished' was a response...wow...no way.????

While I really don't see a new stadium, as aforementioned, being built for some while - so no panic............but let's be prepared to get speedway somehow involved in the new plans at Workington.

There will be no transfer of football/rugby facilities to a new stadium before the project has received planning permission from the Council. If this is a serious threat, now is the time for all shale fans to get writing to their local councillors to explain that speedway is one of Workington's sporting mainstays, bringing visiting fans into the town on a weekly basis throughout the summer and providing jobs, wealth-creation and sporting entertainment for the people of the Borough. Tell them also that the Comets bring national kudos to the town, being at the very pinnacle of the sport in the UK (in the 2018 Championship play-offs - a feat unmatched by local teams in either football or rugby!)

Explain that without the revenue from football and rugby, Derwent Park will be unviable as a speedway-only venue and therefore, in order to retain the sport in Workington, no planning permission should be granted for a new stadium unless it caters for speedway as well as other sports.

You can start by writing to members of the Planning Committee which is chaired by Cllr Mike Rollo. The Vice Chair is Cllr Ann Bales and other members are Cllr Lillian Baldry, Cllr Michael Heaslip, Cllr Antony McGuckin, Cllr Peter McHarry, Cllr Bill Reville, Cllr Denise Rollo and Cllr Joan Wright. Write to them all at Workington Town Council, Town Hall, Oxford Street, Workington, CA14 2RS. Get cracking and good luck.

I'm sure fans of Workington speedway can rely on the support of all speedway fans across the UK if we need to kick up a stink with the council. If all else fails you can set Jenga on 'em!

• Like 2

Would be a great shame if Derwent Park was to be demolished , it is one of the best stadiums in the country for viewing Speedway and the track if prepared well (which it usually is) provides a great racing strip.

This is provided there is a promoter willing to run the Speedway in 2019.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 4thbender said:

There will be no transfer of football/rugby facilities to a new stadium before the project has received planning permission from the Council. If this is a serious threat, now is the time for all shale fans to get writing to their local councillors to explain that speedway is one of Workington's sporting mainstays, bringing visiting fans into the town on a weekly basis throughout the summer and providing jobs, wealth-creation and sporting entertainment for the people of the Borough. Tell them also that the Comets bring national kudos to the town, being at the very pinnacle of the sport in the UK (in the 2018 Championship play-offs - a feat unmatched by local teams in either football or rugby!)

Explain that without the revenue from football and rugby, Derwent Park will be unviable as a speedway-only venue and therefore, in order to retain the sport in Workington, no planning permission should be granted for a new stadium unless it caters for speedway as well as other sports.

You can start by writing to members of the Planning Committee which is chaired by Cllr Mike Rollo. The Vice Chair is Cllr Ann Bales and other members are Cllr Lillian Baldry, Cllr Michael Heaslip, Cllr Antony McGuckin, Cllr Peter McHarry, Cllr Bill Reville, Cllr Denise Rollo and Cllr Joan Wright. Write to them all at Workington Town Council, Town Hall, Oxford Street, Workington, CA14 2RS. Get cracking and good luck.

I'm sure fans of Workington speedway can rely on the support of all speedway fans across the UK if we need to kick up a stink with the council. If all else fails you can set Jenga on 'em!

I have talked to fans, club officials and yes it is serious regarding the new stadium at Workington for sure...and it will be a most welcome facility.

What upsets me is that the plans don't seem to be considering the future of the Comets....ok gates are not healthy, but it is a sport that does traditionally ebb and flow attendance wise...and clearly, thankfully, I'm not alone in caring if Comets disappear because of lack of stadia....

Thanks for the info re Council...all the way from Sheffield..amazing........................................up the Town...come on the Comets!!!!!!

And the NSS shows that a great race track can be built around an artificial grass rugby and football pitch...

With no impact to the surface of the centre green...

So no one can use that as a reason for not allowing Speedway in any new stadium that lays a 3/4G pitch..

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 3

The problem the Comets have is that they have nothing to contribute financially to the new stadium project. Town will surrender their lease and the council will sell the land as freehold. Same for the Reds who will surrender their lease on Borough Park to allow that land to be used for access and parking for the stadium. 

• Like 1

Generally, Football fans like to be as close to the pitch as possible and don't like viewing across a Athletics/Speedway Track. Also , it impacts greatly on atmosphere at Football Grounds. If, and I hope it does go ahead, a new purpose built stadium is created, then it would be done with the future in mind, and if Workington FC suddenly had a couple of good seasons, they wouldn't be allowed back into the FL with a Speedway Track around the pitch. Gateshead in the NL have the same problem, as if they win the League they cannot play League Football at their International Stadium.

I just hope Workington Comets are still around to fight their corner when the time comes.

I'd be more concerned about the more immediate future. I'm not a Comets supporter so I don't know if things have improved compared to last year. it didn't look any better the two times I've been this season.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, topaz325 said:

Would be a great shame if Derwent Park was to be demolished , it is one of the best stadiums in the country for viewing Speedway and the track if prepared well (which it usually is) provides a great racing strip.

This is provided there is a promoter willing to run the Speedway in 2019.

Word about is Kirkland Carpets are going to be taking over next year from Thomas Armstrong as new team sponsor so it sounds like we're going for 2019 - All being well

Edited by Shaggy

lots of rumours going round 

as for new stadium 

only way it can be built and justified is if there is a general manager/team put in place to git it used as a function venue 

no way is it viable to spend the money needed for 2 sports teams averaging around 500 each through the gates 

we all know how corrupt polatian's  and councilers are 

it could just be 1 big fiddle to get business's there involved in a over inflated price for doing work 

Not even 500 each I'd say Scarra but, in the long term, a good move perhaps being as the "Green" directly opposite is in line for hotel development? 

Don't fancy a long drive home at night, couple of hundred yards up the road there's a hotel or a Costa Coffee for the caffeine hit if you do..... could be a whole new outlook down the bottom end of town in a few years time!! :D

• Like 1

10 hours ago, rocket007 said:

Generally, Football fans like to be as close to the pitch as possible and don't like viewing across a Athletics/Speedway Track. Also , it impacts greatly on atmosphere at Football Grounds. If, and I hope it does go ahead, a new purpose built stadium is created, then it would be done with the future in mind, and if Workington FC suddenly had a couple of good seasons, they wouldn't be allowed back into the FL with a Speedway Track around the pitch. Gateshead in the NL have the same problem, as if they win the League they cannot play League Football at their International Stadium.

Is this really true?  Surely West Ham has an athletics track around it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, George Dodds said:

Is this really true?  Surely West Ham has an athletics track around it.

Honestly

It does? as do many European Clubs, (oops we are coming out of Europe so that might not be a good analogy) however the one thing that would stop Workington FC from being promoted to the football league I believe would be the 3G/4G pitch and although quite recently the Conference League changed its rules to allow synthetic pitches to be used  to avoid the possibility that they might have to refuse promotion to that League to a club with a 3G/4G pitch should they be promoted, I honestly don't think there is a ban by the Football League for pitches with Running, Speedway or any other extraneous tracks encompassing the pitch.

I stand to be corrected however currently artificial surfaces as far as I am aware are not allowed in the Football League, I remember when Luton Town had their plastic pitch and one or two other clubs followed suit but as I remember it (not very well as it happens these days) the fad for plastic pitches did not last very long. I believe the plug was pulled on quality which with these new 3G/4G is becoming less of an issue so no doubt there will be a change of heart on these plastic pitches and they will be everywhere sooner than we think.

As "mikebv" points out "the NSS shows that a great race track can be built around an artificial grass rugby and football pitch" however as "Derwent " also correctly states "The problem the Comets have is that they have nothing to contribute financially to the new stadium project." other than fans who have spending power and that's why the project I believe should include something for the Speedway to maximise the use of the new stadium,

Just been watching a new synthetic pitch being installed at Wallsend Boys Club at the thick end of £500,000 which is a hell of an investment and outlay. So this new stadium will not come cheap and I would like to think that the Council will look to accommodate the Speedway Club at the new stadium with an inclusive outlook and knowing the conflict and animosity between the football and rugby clubs that has endured over the years the common sense approach could be to let the speedway club take the lead and manage and run the new venue. After all it is what the current promotion do "its their thing"  having been the facilities operation responsible for running Carlisle United FC until very recently and still run the Sands Venue in Carlisle.

But when has common sense had anything to do with it, (with anything for that matter)

Regards
THJ

16 hours ago, mikebv said:

And the NSS shows that a great race track can be built around an artificial grass rugby and football pitch...

With no impact to the surface of the centre green...

So no one can use that as a reason for not allowing Speedway in any new stadium that lays a 3/4G pitch..

Apart from the slight problem that the centre green pitch is not big enough for adult football or rugby!

The new stadium idea has been kicking around for a number of years now, and does make a lot of sense in many ways.

Both DP and Borough Park, whilst having history and 'character' are both decrepit and not fit for purpose. Not sure I would like DP as a second home Singy!

A single state of the art 6000 capacity stadium with a 3G/4G pitch is the way forward would need community facilities which would ensure that it was used by more than just the football and rugby clubs. A developer however would have to be found to bankroll the project, as Allerdale will not have the funding to do so, with their financial input probably being limited to the sale of the land to the said developer.

Developments of this type take years to come to fruition due to the lengthy consultation processes involved, therefore both existing grounds will be around for a while yet with THJ's assessment of 7 years being much nearer the mark.

THJ has beaten me to it, as I too don't think there is anything at present to prevent football clubs having a running track around their pitch, however 3G/4G pitches are not permitted, though they have them in Scotland and elsewhere in Europe. As they are developed further things may, and probably will change as clubs, particularly at lower levels strive to make the most out of their grounds to keep themselves viable. Man Utd. played on one last night in Bern, though Jose was moaning about it afterwards - no change there!

With regard to the Olympic Stadium, West Ham have installed retractable seating which covers most, but not all of the track area - they have laid artificial grass over the remainder and are presently in a battle to have it claret and not green!

As a football supporter too, I am against having tracks around the pitch as it detracts from the atmosphere and match day experience. Therefore I think that speedway needs a stadium of its own and would like to think that Allerdale would look on us kindly and include the development of Northside for speedway rather than a site for 'local travellers' as part of the whole project.

As others have already noted it would help our cause no end if we had more people coming through the gate, at least to match those attending the football and rugby in the town. What better time to get down to the speedway than in the next few weeks when a local team has a chance of winning a national title - not something that the football or rugby teams have done for a while;)

• Like 2