British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
singy13

Derwent Park

1 hour ago, Lord Lucan said:

Being as we're just nit picking now Town played in the First Division 1995/96 after winning promotion and just missing the play off places, due to the new SL format being a "summer" objective they carried straight on into SL1 after barely finishing their original Div1 fixtures hence why I quoted "two" seasons in the top flight which effectively it was, one after the other and another reason why we didn't survive? :t:

Oh and by the way, do you remember wondering why every time we won a match in that era and moved off the bottom of the table that French side always managed to beat someone they shouldn't have just to put us back down again, there was self interest in RL back then as well? ;)

Hmmm all very mysterious wasn't it ?...you are right about the Paris St Germain situation....The RFL wanted the small town guys 'out' and the big city outfit ' in' for sure...tho they went down the next season.. ha,ha..and yes I do recall us in the top division...but thought you meant SL only...sorry marra......Up The Town and Comets...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marksman said:

Town played 2 consecutive seasons of Top Flight RL in the 90's, but your right it was rebranded to the Super league in '96 and only won 2 games all season before being relegated.  It all went downhill after Peter Walsh left and went back to Australia before SL1...

Yeah still can't fathom why Walshy left after being so successful at Derwent Park ?...home sick maybe?

1 hour ago, singy13 said:

Hmmm all very mysterious wasn't it ?...you are right about the Paris St Germain situation....The RFL wanted the small town guys 'out' and the big city outfit ' in' for sure...tho they went down the next season.. ha,ha..and yes I do recall us in the top division...but thought you meant SL only...sorry marra......Up The Town and Comets...

That's them, couldn't remember the name, I was thinking South of France region because of Catalans? :rolleyes:

40 minutes ago, A.N.Other said:

Chaps

Can we get this subject back on track, and deal with SPEEDWAY !

Thanks

Well this thread is about Derwent Park and RL does take place there!! ;)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, A.N.Other said:

Chaps

Can we get this subject back on track, and deal with SPEEDWAY !

Thanks

We were talking about the impending loss of Derwent Park stadium.... which hosts both speedway and RL......if you don't like it don't read it.

Thanks

• Like 2

5 hours ago, singy13 said:

Yeah still can't fathom why Walshy left after being so successful at Derwent Park ?...home sick maybe?

Think Kevin gorge tried to play the big time Charlie,regarding transfers and team selection,I believe Walsh was squeezed out and until the only alternative was to leave,big mistake on towns part,that's when the rot began to set in

Edited by gregory peck
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, gregory peck said:

Think Kevin gorge tried to play the big time Charlie,regarding transfers and team selection,I believe Walsh was squeezed out and until the only alternative was to leave,big mistake on towns part,that's when the rot began to set in

Yeah, didn't have the nouse to move the club forward when we needed to and wouldn't move aside for anyone who could? :(

Basking in the glory and couldn't see the wood for the trees? :unsure:

• Like 1

On 9/23/2018 at 5:58 PM, ch958 said:

so the rugby, football and speedway teams attract roughly similar crowds. One question - do either the rugby or football teams bring players from all over Europe to perform in front of these crowds, and what do they get paid. For the football team i would imagine £100 a game tops.

not sure what your point is meant to be but surely that just underlines the fact that speedway is a sport which hires the stadium for a few weeks a year while the football and rugby are the semi-professional entities of sports which flourish at junior and amateur level around them. Bearing in mind that a majority in Cumbria voted for Brexit they might not see all the foreign riders as a good point!

Honestly

Its all a bit pointless really as there wont be Speedway at Derwent Park next year, or anywhere else in Workington for that matter (with the exception of Northside) unless there is a serious benefactor out there who is prepared to run the sport as a hobby. Someone who has cash to spare and can inject between £50/£75 K per annum into the speedway, or they have someway of reinvigorating the crowds back to the heyday levels when anything from 1500 to 2500 people would pack out DP to watch the likes of Carl Stonehewer. Furthermore it goes to show that the "Myth" about a winning team brings people in is absolute total rubbish and the best laugh is people who no longer attend  (and haven't for a few years) will be on here bemoaning how awful it is not having a team to support in the town. At the current rate the club need around 850 people/fans through the doors to break even and this just isn't happening, without additional income streams the sport has no chance, whether that's a combination of the following like a bar facility, a room for hire, catering facilities, stock cars or any other motor sports, Kart racing, lawnmower racing drone racing or anything else you can think of but (and I hate saying this) speedway is no longer sustainable anymore in Workington

Sorry to be the harbinger of doom but that's how I see it personally. 

Regards
THJ

• Like 1

6 hours ago, George Dodds said:

not sure what your point is meant to be but surely that just underlines the fact that speedway is a sport which hires the stadium for a few weeks a year while the football and rugby are the semi-professional entities of sports which flourish at junior and amateur level around them. Bearing in mind that a majority in Cumbria voted for Brexit they might not see all the foreign riders as a good point!

the point i was trying (and seemingly failing) to make is that speedway can not afford international riders at this level.

Unfortunately THJ I have to agree with you. I hate to think about how much Laura & Co will have lost this season ironically made worse because of our success and without any discernible increase in numbers through the gate. I wonder what the excuses are this season for not attending. They can't blame Keith Denham, a crap team, a lack of entertainment, no local riders, cost? (possibly you could say it is a £10-12 pound sport), so what has stopped people attending? I know we aren't the only team struggling to keep our heads above water and money is tight for a lot of people, but as you say, those people staying away will be the first to complain when it is gone.

Unless there is a radical shake up of the sport in this country, where it is governed and run by people without any vested interest other than for the love of the sport I too fear the worst.

What speedway needs is a Barry Hearn type character along with some well respected former riders to grab hold of it and rebrand the whole damned thing. This would hopefully bring in some bigger sponsors with some big money but ensuring the money goes into developing the sport as a whole and not just into the elite few.

We seem to say these things at this time of year, every year however, so I wont hold my breath.

Back onto the positive, and what a team we have this year, c'mon lets grab some silverware!

Edited by Carlislecomet2
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Carlislecomet2 said:

Unfortunately THJ I have to agree with you. I hate to think about how much Laura & Co will have lost this season ironically made worse because of our success and without any discernible increase in numbers through the gate. I wonder what the excuses are this season for not attending. They can't blame Keith Denham, a crap team, a lack of entertainment, no local riders, cost? (possibly you could say it is a £10-12 pound sport), so what has stopped people attending? I know we aren't the only team struggling to keep our heads above water and money is tight for a lot of people, but as you say, those people staying away will be the first to complain when it is gone.

Unless there is a radical shake up of the sport in this country, where it is governed and run by people without any vested interest other than for the love of the sport I too fear the worst.

What speedway needs is a Barry Hearn type character along with some well respected former riders to grab hold of it and rebrand the whole damned thing. This would hopefully bring in some bigger sponsors with some big money but ensuring the money goes into developing the sport as a whole and not just into the elite few.

We seem to say these things at this time of year, every year however, so I wont hold my breath.

Back onto the positive, and what a team we have this year, c'mon lets grab some silverware!

Agree with much of what you say here CC2

It has cost the promotion a great deal of cash and it is not sustainable

Keith (not John) Denham (I believe you are referring to) had some good teams with great individuals, Peter Kilderman being the outstanding one for me, and it just didn't happen for him but as a businessman he could see the flaws in the system after trying dam hard to give the Comets fans a winning team.

If you can guarantee 1000 fans I could guarantee an entry fee of £10:00 each meeting and make it work its as simple as that, Numbers! it is also the same for every other club that is struggling, a hardcore fan base of 350 to 450 does not sustain a team that's why other clubs have upped their entry fees, and set up supporter trust groups, would Comets fans be prepared to pay £20/£25 quid to watch their speedway?  When the consensus is that it is a £10 sport (I very much doubt it) (Although I do know one promoter who will argue reasonably well as to why it isn't a 10 quid sport as we have recently and he put a reasoned argument across)

Why have people stopped attending is a good one and if I had the definitive answer to that I would remedy the situation in a once but many theories have been put forward on here and all are valid to a point, but who honestly knows.

You are right the Comets are not the only team struggling most are, and their promotions are pumping in monies to keep the sport afloat but they seem blinkered to the extent that they will collectively kill the sport off, there needs to be a rationalisation and maybe go back to the "good ole days" of the 60's where the sport was primarily amateur in this country which may reduce costs, but again I don't think anyone has a magic wand.

You hit the nail on the head a radical shake up and radical change are required and more passionate and knowledgeable fans than me have outlined the issues on here more than once and like you say every year it comes up and Barry Hearn is a fantastic example and I wholeheartedly agree he is the type of entrepreneur the sport needs.

However I feel the grip the promoters hold over the sport are to great and they all look out for their own interests to the detriment of everyone else and no matter how much they polish the turd it's still a turd to my mind. Maybe one day they will see the light and work for the benefit of the sport, the fans the riders et al.

Finally you are doing the right thing and definitely do not hold your breath, keep breathing but count to 10, I was once told that counting helps, that was a load of old tosh as well...

Regards
THJ

• Like 1

Have to agree THJ. 

Teams like Workington just don't get the support to sustain a fully professional team. Time to go back to the days when 90% of the riders held down a full time job and rode in their spare time. Leave the high flying, full timers and their ever increasing demands to the premiership and make the championship a stand alone league, all be it a a lower level than now but at least sustainable for the crowd levels we get. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, cometbaz said:

Teams like Workington just don't get the support to sustain a fully professional team. Time to go back to the days when 90% of the riders held down a full time job and rode in their spare time. Leave the high flying, full timers and their ever increasing demands to the premiership and make the championship a stand alone league, all be it a a lower level than now but at least sustainable for the crowd levels we get.  

I agree. I wonder if a 'second' division could be as you describe but possibly with each team being able to include one 'big hitter' from the league above - rather like the way our local cricket teams have a 'resident professional' in their ranks. That way the supporters still get to see riders from the top league and the other riders can learn from them and aim to take the scalp of the opposition number 1. Just a thought.

Dwindling crowds are a conundrum contributed to by the amateurish way the sport has been run in recent times.

Without Workington opening up their accounts no one but those very close to Laura can have knowledge of the financial structure currently in place . The club will surely have budgeted for this season based on last seasons last average gates . We do not know how crowds are doing relative to last season but i would say subjectively they are certainly no worse. We had that horrendous run of away fixtures which put a huge strain on finances but it was hoped that some of that would eventually balance out. With half as many league fixtures compared to last season one would assume overall loss potential per meeting would be lower. To quote losses of £50K to £75K if accurate is serious money and unsubstantiated. Other season losses were mooted to be around £30K. Why double with half as many league fixtures ??.

The club employs a Commercial Manager whose major role is to generate income for the club. Laura quoted in a recent press article that some sports clubs generate £30-50K in sponsorship. Obviously we are not at this fairly modest looking level, a level that would surely help underpin the clubs financial security.