British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sidney the robin

AGM is the next meeting the last chance to rectify things.?

17 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

...Agree entirely or even the much maligned Mike Parker who drove things forward during the early middle sixties when speedway was in the doldrums when he was the prime mover in instigating the Provincial League.

I am not a lover of Barry Hearn a dictator i know but he gets things right 99% of the time and has kept up with the times.That sort of leadership could work Berry would of been great but it was not to be ancient history .Five names i would put forward to work TOGETHER to revamp British speedway would be Eric Boocock - Neil Vatcher- Neil Machin- Lee Kilby- Peter Adams all of them have serious qualities and what they all have in common is that they all love speedway.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

I am not a lover of Barry Hearn a dictator i know but he gets things right 99% of the time and has kept up with the times.That sort of leadership could work Berry would of been great but it was not to be ancient history .Five names i would put forward to work TOGETHER to revamp British speedway would be Eric Boocock - Neil Vatcher- Neil Machin- Lee Kilby- Peter Adams all of them have serious qualities and what they all have in common is that they all love speedway.

as long as there's no financial interest to cloud their judgement

1 minute ago, ch958 said:

as long as there's no financial interest to cloud their judgement

On the big issues could there be a FAIR voting system put in place.?

4 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

Four of those five are exactly the people who have presided over the slow and steady decline of British speedway. What makes you think they have the answers now?

If you want fresh thinking you need people who ideally have no connection with speedway, potentially even from outside the world of sport.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, MattK said:

Four of those five are exactly the people who have presided over the slow and steady decline of British speedway. What makes you think they have the answers now?

If you want fresh thinking you need people who ideally have no connection with speedway, potentially even from outside the world of sport.

Total nonsense worst post ever from you Matt those five know more about speedway than you would ever hope to know.

Edited by Sidney the robin

8 minutes ago, MattK said:

Anyone with no knowledge of the sport coming in blind would sink faster than the Titanic 

13 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Total nonsense worst post ever from you Matt those five know more about speedway than you would ever hope to know.

If they have the answers to speedway's problems, why haven't they spoken up sooner?

12 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Anyone with no knowledge of the sport coming in blind would sink faster than the Titanic 

And yet you were singing Barry Hearn's praises. What does he know about speedway?

13 minutes ago, MattK said:

And yet you were singing Barry Hearn's praises. What does he know about speedway?

Did you not realise Hearn turned his nose up at speedway old stadia (ect) .If you think some guy who has run a successful pizza joint is going to be able to come in and turn British speedway around good luck with that.

3 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Did you not realise Hearn turned his nose up at speedway old stadia (ect) .If you think some guy who has run a successful pizza joint is going to be able to come in and turn British speedway around good luck with that.

I'm sure the CEO of Domino's will have more ideas about how to market speedway than the current incumbents at the BSPA.

When Barry Hearn became chairman of the PDC did he change the value of a bull's eye to 75 and introduce a rule where if a player is 100 points down his next three darts count double? Of course not. He was looking at the bigger picture, how to revolutionise the presentation of darts, engaging with sponsors who can bring credibility to the sport and negotiating a multi-million pound TV deal.

This is the problem with the BSPA. They think they can turn around speedway's fortunes by endless tinkering with the rules, league structures and names. If anything the BSPA are too close to speedway. How often do the likes of the FA, RFU and so on introduce the types of rule changes we see every year in speedway. What the BPSA as the governing body should be doing is looking at the bigger picture not arguing over rule changes every year.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, MattK said:

I'm sure the CEO of Domino's will have more ideas about how to market speedway than the current incumbents at the BSPA.

When Barry Hearn became chairman of the PDC did he change the value of a bull's eye to 75 and introduce a rule where if a player is 100 points down his next three darts count double? Of course not. He was looking at the bigger picture, how to revolutionise the presentation of darts, engaging with sponsors who can bring credibility to the sport and negotiating a multi-million pound TV deal.

This is the problem with the BSPA. They think they can turn around speedway's fortunes by endless tinkering with the rules, league structures and names. If anything the BSPA are too close to speedway. How often do the likes of the FA, RFU and so on introduce the types of rule changes we see every year in speedway. What the BPSA as the governing body should be doing is looking at the bigger picture not arguing over rule changes every year.

...agree totally!

The BSPA have listened to what the fans want but it takes time to implement & tweak to get things right.

I have been searching for the older AGM's & found notice of Harkess having his last year of a term of 6 as Chairman. He is now President but it is a Honorary position. This makes me think that Chapman has 3 more years. I also found that when appointed to the Board it is a 3 year term. Therefore, there could be changes for 2019.

It was interesting seeing posters names back then & seeing what they were saying to what they are saying now.

Also, Rules were made or changed pre AGM so before the new committee were in place so had to run in 2016

56 minutes ago, IronScorpion said:

The BSPA have listened to what the fans want but it takes time to implement & tweak to get things right.

I have been searching for the older AGM's & found notice of Harkess having his last year of a term of 6 as Chairman. He is now President but it is a Honorary position. This makes me think that Chapman has 3 more years. I also found that when appointed to the Board it is a 3 year term. Therefore, there could be changes for 2019.

It was interesting seeing posters names back then & seeing what they were saying to what they are saying now.

Also, Rules were made or changed pre AGM so before the new committee were in place so had to run in 2016

It takes time...………….:rofl:

8 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

Do you know any of those people or just the public persona ?

We say every year it's the most important one. That's how low the sport as sunk

• Like 1