British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sidney the robin

AGM is the next meeting the last chance to rectify things.?

The biggest priority for the Sport is a joined up collective marketing plan...

Similar to the way the NFL and other USA team sports market themselves..

ie "The Sport is greater than any individual team"...

Shared investment from all teams, delivers shared returns on all aspects of the Business Model...

Of course to make this work, and be successful, then the Sport would need to attract enough National Media recognition to attract Sponsors and Fans..

Of course to get that it would then first and foremost need to have a credible Operating Model that doesn't open itself up to National ridicule by the increased scrutiny such National coverage would bring...

And of course to do that it would need an independent figurehead who has no vested interest in any team whatsoever, so decisions made can never be held up as biased due to the individual making the decision also potentially benefitting from it, (as is the case now)..

In a Sport that has clubs not bothering which random group of riders they send to away meetings time and time again, I would suggest that a collective will to work together for the common good is a million miles away...

Now where did I leave that 'wallpaper paste table' and box of flyers, I am off to market my Speedway Team in the foyer of my local Tesco...

It'll bring in thousands I tell yer, thousands!!

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1

On 9/21/2018 at 6:34 PM, Hawk127 said:

Cat amongst the pidgeons. Loathe him or admire him Matt Ford has run one of the most successful clubs and given that he appears to be reaching that point on where he goes next, perhaps he could relinquish the reigns at Poole and do what John Berry tried to achieve. Matt knows speedway inside out, is one of the few people who could probably command some respect from those outside the sport given his business acumen and at this juncture speedway has nothing to lose. Carry on with the current crew and no changes (either Matt or someone with a good PR and presence) then it is a lost cause and the chances of recovery are slim. It needs something radical to happen not just the regular tinkering and tweaking which simply alienates all and sundry.

Ford has been very successful with winning teams. Only one team can win though. The win at all costs attitude has rendered many meetings meaningless. It used to be a night at the speedway - now its a failure if a team isn't constantly winning. 

What we must have is continuity. Meetings every week other than  one or two.Break for one week where there are local holidays  and meetings from Mid March to the end of October. £15 max entry cost,Seniors £11, under 16's £5. Entertainment , full second half and at least  two hours track related entertainment.

• Like 5

22 hours ago, Topcat said:

What we must have is continuity. Meetings every week other than  one or two.Break for one week where there are local holidays  and meetings from Mid March to the end of October. £15 max entry cost,Seniors £11, under 16's £5. Entertainment , full second half and at least  two hours track related entertainment.

I accept that contnuity of fixtures is a good thing, but running from mid-March to the end of October is about 30 weeks and I can't see any league structure that would give that many meaningful fixtures. I'd argue that we should seriously consider starting slightly later and finishing by the end of September, but within that framework try and arrange meaningful fixtures as consistently as possible.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Chadster said:

I accept that contnuity of fixtures is a good thing, but running from mid-March to the end of October is about 30 weeks and I can't see any league structure that would give that many meaningful fixtures. I'd argue that we should seriously consider starting slightly later and finishing by the end of September, but within that framework try and arrange meaningful fixtures as consistently as possible.

Come on , we really need to run from March to October to ensure all the fixtures are completed...……………………….

• Like 1

I think we are in for a serious downgrading of he Sport if the Premier can persuade 2-3 Teams to move up like they did in the early nineties.The BSPA are only interested in sport at what they conceive as the highest level,the rest are left to sort themselves out. There can't be many clubs making money out the sport,it's only Sponsers and people with Money to lose that are keeping most Clubs afloat,and that can't go on for ever IMO. Personaly don't think crowds of around 400- 500 can possibly  be viable these days,with the money that we hear the riders demand,but perhaps it's only rumours what the riders get paid and they are doing it for their love to the sport and entertaining the fans.:rolleyes:

If they can get enough teams into the top flight, I'm sure they could run the league at a much lower level - perhaps even the level of the current championship - without actually forcing any riders out an effectively downgrading.

With doubling up/down at the level it is currently, surely they can get enough teams at the level and still keep the likes of Jason Doyle riding in the league with a sensible conversion rate.

Someone needs to work out how the teams and riders we currently have can be put together and how that would all work out. It just needs someone with a bit of time on their hands to make the effort to do it. The sport doesn't need to downgrade any more, and could probably run a big league without having to do so.

Edited by Grachan

On 9/22/2018 at 7:25 PM, ch958 said:

Ford has been very successful with winning teams. Only one team can win though. The win at all costs attitude has rendered many meetings meaningless. It used to be a night at the speedway - now its a failure if a team isn't constantly winning. 

Indeed and his comment in the SS article this week does somehow sums the guy up.

‘I used to go to meetings knowing we would win, now I don’t ‘ ....wonderful!

1 hour ago, Grachan said:

If they can get enough teams into the top flight, I'm sure they could run the league at a much lower level - perhaps even the level of the current championship - without actually forcing any riders out an effectively downgrading.

With doubling up/down at the level it is currently, surely they can get enough teams at the level and still keep the likes of Jason Doyle riding in the league with a sensible conversion rate.

Someone needs to work out how the teams and riders we currently have can be put together and how that would all work out. It just needs someone with a bit of time on their hands to make the effort to do it. The sport doesn't need to downgrade any more, and could probably run a big league without having to do so.

Economically without big TV money and good sponsorship a current Premier team can’t afford the riders you still want.

Its a matter of survival for a lot of clubs and putting money in riders pockets who don’t perform to their given status has been just one of the problems.

Wholesale doubling up has to be rained in,partly for the sports integrity and to get away from ‘rent a rider’.

The Championship can’t continue as it is so a bigger league at the top level is necessary but will have to be weaker.

It used to be a night at the speedway -

Exactly.

When I first saw speedway as a youngster, it was the thrill and the spectacle that got me addicted and kept me coming back. Although I wanted my team to win (Halifax), it wasn't the the be all and end all of things.

Speedway is an entertainment first and foremost.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, GWC said:

Economically without big TV money and good sponsorship a current Premier team can’t afford the riders you still want.

Its a matter of survival for a lot of clubs and putting money in riders pockets who don’t perform to their given status has been just one of the problems.

Wholesale doubling up has to be rained in,partly for the sports integrity and to get away from ‘rent a rider’.

The Championship can’t continue as it is so a bigger league at the top level is necessary but will have to be weaker.

If they can't afford them then don't sign them.

Join the leagues together, spread the riders out evenly, and see what level we come to. Then leave it at that.

If Somerset want Jason Doyle next year then why shouldn't they? It doesn't affect other teams other than having a World Class rider visit during the season, surely?

How does it go against, say, Redcar, if Somerset have Jason Doyle if the teams are still built to the same points limit?

So, are you saying that even the current Championship level is too high for one big league? If it is, the sport is pretty much done.

Edited by Grachan
  • Like 1

Would people go for different competitions??

Regular season, a pairs and fours competition and the Premiership rider's championship GP style where teams race every track?

With the current Premiership you'd have 12 home fixtures.

Every club rides on the same day in a pairs and fours competition at every track. That's an extra 2 meetings for all clubs in the season. 

Top 2 in the averages in the pairs plus the No7 as reserve. 

3rd-6th in the averages race in the 4's, No7 as reserve.

After the first 6 home fixtures completed top 2 in the averages go into the GP style Premiership Rider's Championship riding every track in the league. 3rd and 4th in a teams average has the wild cards at their home meetings. Top scorer overall wins.

Something a little bit different there and adds extra fixtures for every track.

Sure it'll all be a bit more complicated than that but it's a start

2 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Personaly don't think crowds of around 400- 500 can possibly  be viable these days,with the money that we hear the riders demand,but perhaps it's only rumours what the riders get paid and they are doing it for their love to the sport and entertaining the fans.

Me too! So let's hope riders demands are more realistic for the new league set up in 2019. I mean more realistic with regard to the income streams of clubs. Especially turnstile income. Average crowds need to be above  1,000 with  1,500 to 2,000 the aim if the sport is to truly be viable in the UK.

Riders wages have to be reduced. I'd go as much as a quarter off. If rider's want the best equipment it's up to them to find those funds. It shouldn't be clubs responsibility to fund the rider's having the best of the best.

All rider's should be paid the same from 1-7. Premiership £150 per point. Championship £70 per point and National League £20 per point.

• Like 1

Why don't we adapt rider grading into UK??

A, B, C and D
Div 1 - 2 A's, 3B's, 1C  and 1D

Div 2 - 0 A's, 2 B's, 3 C's and 2D grade riders

I would sit here and grade every rider but the amount I would have to do, it'd be press and practice 2019 when I'm done - for example, A - Niels Kristian Iversen, Leon Madsen, Matej Zagar, Max Fricke B - Nicolai Klindt, Ricky Wells, Danny King, Richard Lawson C - David Howe, Stefan Nielsen, Todd Kurtz, Nike Lunna D - Max Clegg, Danny Ayres, Adam Roynon, Drew Kemp

Major Competitions

Div 1 - Pairs, KOC, League Trophy

Div 2 - Pairs, Fours, KOC, League Trophy

Teams

Div 1 - All Premiership clubs and any other teams willing to progress up into the league

Div 2 - Remaining clubs from the Championship and National League (Any clubs not willing to partake can be situated into a development league programme)

League format 

The same format for both leagues -  top 4 qualify and the remaining teams battle it out for the returning Young Shield styled format - Doing this will make all teams' seasons last longer - As this is a secondary competition, teams can opt to pull out from this trophy