British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sidney the robin

AGM is the next meeting the last chance to rectify things.?

9 hours ago, Grachan said:

If they can't afford them then don't sign them.

Join the leagues together, spread the riders out evenly, and see what level we come to. Then leave it at that.

If Somerset want Jason Doyle next year then why shouldn't they? It doesn't affect other teams other than having a World Class rider visit during the season, surely?

How does it go against, say, Redcar, if Somerset have Jason Doyle if the teams are still built to the same points limit?

So, are you saying that even the current Championship level is too high for one big league? If it is, the sport is pretty much done.

What is the Championship level? It doesn’t exist without riders from the premier and visa versa so a revolutionary change is needed.

It will then be interesting to see what clubs  can afford a ‘top’ rider if the leagues are merged.

7 minutes ago, GWC said:

What is the Championship level? It doesn’t exist without riders from the premier and visa versa so a revolutionary change is needed.

It will then be interesting to see what clubs  can afford a ‘top’ rider if the leagues are merged.

Championship averages, Championship points limit. Riders who only have a Premier average given a converted average.

Not what I'd like to see, particularly, but that is Championship level.

My preference would be a 1.25 (0.8) conversion rate, which takes the top PL rider up to about 12. And make a 12.00 average cap.

23 hours ago, GWC said:

I would have 1 league and Chuck in loads of rookies. It's a bit before my time but isn't that what happened in the 70s with rider control? Surely many young riders quit the sport because they only ride at development or NL level and never get a chance at a higher level. Surely each team could have say 2 or 3 British rookies who get say 30 meetings a season in 1 big league. Some will fail but surely some will succeed.

I think it will depend on how many clubs want to be in a combined league and at what level.

Already the Plymouth promoter has said there’s a rumour that the NL points limit is to be reduced considerably, forcing riders out or the club move up a league.

Its also interesting to read his comments about signing on fees that are causing clubs difficulty financially. Add in loan fees and you have a perfect storm.

2 minutes ago, GWC said:

you have a perfect storm.

Oh, we certainly do have a perfect storm in UK speedway. Will there be sunshine after rain in 2019?

One of the biggest problems is that the last few seasons we have suffered a mad dash at the end of the season to complete fixtures before the cut off. The cut off also can mean that teams finish their season far too early (witness Sheffield this season).

To get around the problem I sould suggest running the league until the middle of September which then leaves six weeks to stage the playoffs. The League Cup would only be open to those teams not in the Playoffs and would ensure that all teams have meaningful meetings to at least the middle of October.

This can happen as part of one big PL/CL or with the two leagues run much as they have this last season. If we do have one big league then I would think that it should be run with North and South divisions and if 18 teams are involved them 2 Home and Away meetings between those teams in the same division and 1 Home and Away for those in the other division. That gives 16 Home meetings within your division and 9 Home meetings against those of the other division. Mid March to Mid September is 25 weeks so teams could run weekly. All fixtures would be fixed at the start of the season and a Rain-off would be 1 point for each team with no rearranged dates. If the league is run on this basis then I would drop the KO Cup as it would make for too many meetings in the season.