British Speedway Forum
topaz325

Workington v Newcastle 21/09/18 7:30 koc2nd leg

4 minutes ago, comet49 said:

Comets score would have been higher if bikes hadn’t packed up, would have liked Stuart Robson to have come round for a lap at the finish, been a good rider. 

Yes - Stuart Robson deserved the well earned round of applause after his final race. I'm glad I managed to shake his hand after the meeting and had the opportunity to thank him for the entertainment he has provided throughout his career.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, moomin man 76 said:

Yes - Stuart Robson deserved the well earned round of applause after his final race. I'm glad I managed to shake his hand after the meeting and had the opportunity to thank him for the entertainment he has provided throughout his career.

Such a shame for Robbo , we expected him to come round to a standing ovation which I’m sure he would have got , but didn’t even want to come round for that , shame his team mates couldn’t be arsed to turn up on his last meeting of his career . You can only race what’s in front of you but for Newcastle to turnup with that team for the paying fans was a disgrace :nono:  

7 hours ago, scaramanga said:

hoggy was a miss tonight aswell 

Hoggy arguably the best presenter in speedway so always gonna be a miss. Thought JC done great as a stand in. As he said 'not as easy as it looks".

• Like 3

I was working in Carlisle yesterday and stayed over for this. I wish I hadn't. From my Newcastle perspective that's two visits to DP in the last couple of weeks which have been...well, "disappointing" is a bit of an understatement.

Still, now we're out of the cup, we can concentrate on the league!

Oh...

Roll on next season.

13 hours ago, JoeW said:

Do you think the fact that there are no home meetings left and money may be a factor?

That both you and I could surmise that straight away probably says a lot about how this Sport is ran...

Amazing how 'key' riders always seem to only miss away meetings too isn't it?

It could look almost as if Promoters don't even support each other but only look after their own self interest.....

Truly an operating model that seems to be delivering stunning results...:rolleyes:

• Like 4

Rather disappointing that Newcastle could only put out this team especially in the light that they have suffered at the hands of visiting teams doing similar in the not too distant past

I just hope it was through unfortunate neccessity and not design

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Taylorj said:

Such a shame for Robbo , we expected him to come round to a standing ovation which I’m sure he would have got , but didn’t even want to come round for that , shame his team mates couldn’t be arsed to turn up on his last meeting of his career . You can only race what’s in front of you but for Newcastle to turnup with that team for the paying fans was a disgrace :nono:  

Workington were quite happy to turn up at Brough for the originally scheduled Championship League clash (which was called off) with two NL guests, but you appear to have a very short memory and forget this, of course.  I'm not saying it's right, by the way.

Just now, StevePark said:

Workington were quite happy to turn up at Brough for the originally scheduled Championship League clash (which was called off) with two NL guests, but you appear to have a very short memory and forget this, of course.  I'm not saying it's right, by the way.

Difference there being we had no choice. Our riders were riding in Poland not sat at home with their feet up . Tony Jackson fought all week to get us a facility , your riders just couldn’t be a....d to turn up 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Taylorj said:

Difference there being we had no choice. Our riders were riding in Poland not sat at home with their feet up . Tony Jackson fought all week to get us a facility , your riders just couldn’t be a....d to turn up 

As far as I am aware, we don't know why Lindgren wasn't there for definite, just the usual rumours.  As far as Matty W is concerned, many on this forum have been saying we need to go back to the days when riders rode speedway as a hobby and did a "proper job" as well.  This is what could happen if that occurred.  

Workington DID have a choice.  They could have had a facility to replace riders with R/R and Guests (as was proved last weekend when you had Summers for Klindt).

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, StevePark said:

As far as I am aware, we don't know why Lindgren wasn't there for definite, just the usual rumours.  As far as Matty W is concerned, many on this forum have been saying we need to go back to the days when riders rode speedway as a hobby and did a "proper job" as well.  This is what could happen if that occurred.  

Workington DID have a choice.  They could have had a facility to replace riders with R/R and Guests (as was proved last weekend when you had Summers for Klindt).

That’s where you are wrong , we DID NOT  , Sunday’s meeting was a re-arranged fixture , hence the facility. NL guest was the only option given for the original meeting. If Wethers had work why didn’t he mention it Sunday ? A couple of your own fans who bought a programme of us were stating Lindgren was withholding his services 

21 minutes ago, Taylorj said:

That’s where you are wrong , we DID NOT  , Sunday’s meeting was a re-arranged fixture , hence the facility. NL guest was the only option given for the original meeting. If Wethers had work why didn’t he mention it Sunday ? A couple of your own fans who bought a programme of us were stating Lindgren was withholding his services 

Not according to George English at the Fans Meeting a few weeks ago.  

I think you will find, because it was a re-arranged fixture, you shouldn't have had a facility last weekend! Even Tony Jackson was surprised to be allowed a facility.  Because the original fixture was in the fixture list since the fixtures came out, you were allowed a facility for that (original) meeting, despite the blurb on your website at the time saying that it was a re-arranged fixture (which it clearly wasn't)  and that's why you were going with NL riders.

I was led to believe that after initially being told we could only have NL guests for polish league 2 fixtures it was reviewed and agreed that a facility would be allowed but this was not done until after the original away meeting had been postponed... not from persons connected to workington but from someone genuinely passionate about the future of British Speedway. 

Whats done is done! We had no choice originally as Rene n Nicolai were in Poland however that is not the same as Newcastle turning up with the team they did.  People who have jobs outside od speedway I can understand perhaps there can be issues with short notice rearrangements... others who were a No Show I cannot.. i know its end of season but to let their team down like that IMO they dont deserve a team place.  Well done James n Josh for having a go and allowing Newcastle to field 7 riders.

Goodbye and Good luck to Stuart for his future away from Riding... IMO its guys like him Stoney Garry Stead who should be involved in the running of the sport.. guys with no vested interest in a team just the survival and love of the sport  in this country... the sport that no matter which team we support we are all passionate about!!!! 

Have a nice day!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, SteelShoe said:

Hoggy arguably the best presenter in speedway so always gonna be a miss. Thought JC done great as a stand in. As he said 'not as easy as it looks".

If I’m totally honest, John did a great job :D

Great to also see Dan Bewley making an appearance to support the comets! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Taylorj said:

I thought he had been doing that for away meetings all season.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

well that's a surprise ………… I really thought we would turn this around …………..

well I have slaughtered several teams for their no-shows at Brough … especially this season...… so it is disappointing that Newcastle have fallen into the weakened side category...…….. and yes it is extremely unfair for the home supporters and I can understand the Workington supporters frustration

what I would say is though …. people in glasshouses should not be throwing stones  (well not too hard and certainly not holier than thou!!) ..... the side Workington was going to field at Newcastle in the rained off league meeting was inexcusable ………  Workington were allowed guest replacements ………. but they decided to send in NL guests

as the rumours are saying (IF TRUE)  …. wethers couldn't get time off, lindgren refused to ride and kus was injured.  So George and Martin were rather dumped it !!!!   George English comments after the meeting seemed to indicate complete annoyance at the team he had to field.  He has complained bitterly about sides providing weak sides at Newcastle, so it must have been a cause of some embarrassment and annoyance to him having to field this side (this is a promoter who in the past has picked up the mike and apologised to home supporters when the diamonds have performed awfully away with their contracted 7 riders)

This is an issue that is killing speedway and only hurts us all and the paying public … and frankly its down to the riders

They sign contracts … and it is upto them to honour them

Perhaps next year,  if a rider cant make it (for any excuse !!!! except injury) … then he is replaced with a proper guest...…….  that way the paying public are not robbed.  The offending rider should then be banned for say 14 days and maybe fined (depending on reason) … but during that time the team can use a guest to cover him.  that way the paying public are at least entertained and the rider is hurt in the pocket 

The riders sign contracts which they should fufil…. if they want to sod off and ride in Poland then let them go ….. but teams should not be signing them...……..  we need the promoters to commit to signing riders who are committed to british speedway ………  and not as a bit of income to support their continental riding 

Its upto the promoters ……. they need to spell it out to the riders and stop this farce …. or else there will be no professional speedway in this country in 10 years

anyway … good luck Workington …. you have an interesting few weeks to look forward to

• Like 3