British Speedway Forum
topaz325

Workington v Newcastle 21/09/18 7:30 koc2nd leg

2 hours ago, StevePark said:

Not according to George English at the Fans Meeting a few weeks ago.  

I think you will find, because it was a re-arranged fixture, you shouldn't have had a facility last weekend! Even Tony Jackson was surprised to be allowed a facility.  Because the original fixture was in the fixture list since the fixtures came out, you were allowed a facility for that (original) meeting, despite the blurb on your website at the time saying that it was a re-arranged fixture (which it clearly wasn't)  and that's why you were going with NL riders.

Could the fixtures be better arranged to take into account Polish div 2 fixtures? This could help with these cases as according to Rob in the Speedway Star there are two teams with Sunday race nights.

On another point surely a British rider should be racing in Britain when there is a fixture clash in Poland?

Was the Friday race nights mentioned as Lakeside seemed to hint in the Speedway Star that there was going to be a problem and that they were talking to Rye House about Saturday's (backing what Rob said about the teams being given a months notice and no matches had been rearranged).

Was it mentioned at the fans forum why teams get 29 day facilities instead of 28 day facilities? 

Did they mention having the riders championship when there are no Polish playoffs?

Back on topic Newcastle did well lasting till about the last week in September in the KOC.  How many rounds did the two teams get through before facing each other?  (funny that promotions say they cannot race when riders are going to be missing and then when riders are missing the team is slaughtered).

• Like 1

Newcastle promotion, I believe, requested a facility to cover Matty Wethers once it was realised he couldn't get time off, and the BSPA refused. This despite  the fact that a) the BSPA themselves cancelled the original fixture, b) it was then rained off, and c) Newcastle bent over backwards to facilitate Workington to run this fixture this weekend, when they could have said no we are not coming. It seems you can get a facility when a rider chooses to ride somewhere else but not when it's a genuine reason. Poor Matty was left with no choice by his employers. He can't, and I personally wouldn't, expect him to, give up his job. As for Lindgren, if it was, as I believe, late on Friday afternoon when he cried off then the Newcastle management did well to get ANYBODY. Cumbria isn't exactly awash with sub 7 point championship riders  who are available at such short notice.

3 hours ago, mauger65 said:

well that's a surprise ………… I really thought we would turn this around …………..

well I have slaughtered several teams for their no-shows at Brough … especially this season...… so it is disappointing that Newcastle have fallen into the weakened side category...…….. and yes it is extremely unfair for the home supporters and I can understand the Workington supporters frustration

what I would say is though …. people in glasshouses should not be throwing stones  (well not too hard and certainly not holier than thou!!) ..... the side Workington was going to field at Newcastle in the rained off league meeting was inexcusable ………  Workington were allowed guest replacements ………. but they decided to send in NL guests

as the rumours are saying (IF TRUE)  …. wethers couldn't get time off, lindgren refused to ride and kus was injured.  So George and Martin were rather dumped it !!!!   George English comments after the meeting seemed to indicate complete annoyance at the team he had to field.  He has complained bitterly about sides providing weak sides at Newcastle, so it must have been a cause of some embarrassment and annoyance to him having to field this side (this is a promoter who in the past has picked up the mike and apologised to home supporters when the diamonds have performed awfully away with their contracted 7 riders)

This is an issue that is killing speedway and only hurts us all and the paying public … and frankly its down to the riders

They sign contracts … and it is upto them to honour them

Perhaps next year,  if a rider cant make it (for any excuse !!!! except injury) … then he is replaced with a proper guest...…….  that way the paying public are not robbed.  The offending rider should then be banned for say 14 days and maybe fined (depending on reason) … but during that time the team can use a guest to cover him.  that way the paying public are at least entertained and the rider is hurt in the pocket 

The riders sign contracts which they should fufil…. if they want to sod off and ride in Poland then let them go ….. but teams should not be signing them...……..  we need the promoters to commit to signing riders who are committed to british speedway ………  and not as a bit of income to support their continental riding 

Its upto the promoters ……. they need to spell it out to the riders and stop this farce …. or else there will be no professional speedway in this country in 10 years

anyway … good luck Workington …. you have an interesting few weeks to look forward to

I honestly don’t think we were given a facility in the rain off meeting, well not as far as the fans were informed anyway . I wouldn’t have minded coming with guests ..I’m sure jacko was surprised last week when we were allowed a guest . I’m sure THJ would confirm this if he seen this thread :) What was quite sad was Robbo’s last night in British Speedway a bit overshadowed , we thought he might come round for a lap of honour which I’m sure he would have got ..an asset to British Speedway and always a nice guy . Best of luck for the future Robbo :t:

that's the beauty of speedway :D  they seem to make up the rules on a daily basis........  but on the Workington rain off match .. we can assure you Workington were allowed proper replacement guests that night ............ roll on 2019

8 minutes ago, mauger65 said:

that's the beauty of speedway :D  they seem to make up the rules on a daily basis........  but on the Workington rain off match .. we can assure you Workington were allowed proper replacement guests that night ............ roll on 2019

We can assure you we were not :approve:

2 minutes ago, mauger65 said:

Honestly

I can assure you that Workington were not "allowed proper replacement guests that night" as you put it for this rained off meeting. They were going to have to run with National League Guests and Kean Dicken and Kelsey Duggard were lined up to replace Rene Bach at reserve and Nicolai Klindt at Number 1. This was due to the fact that the Danes were both racing in the Polish 2nd Division for which; at that time; no facility was allowed.

It is a long story however with the help of that bad man Rob Godfrey (so he is not all that bad then eh!) Workington finally got resolution to the problem that run all the way to the European FIM the day before the Newcastle Workington meeting and Tony Jackson had been given a right royal run around but they finally got a facility for the the two Danes where there were clashes in the fixtures with Poland, due to the assistance of Rob.

However this clarification of the situation regarding a facility did not come through until a week and a bit later and after this fixture would have been run so TaylorJ is correct Workington would not have received a facility for this fixture and would have had to run with two NL Guests.

Regards
THJ

• Like 2