British Speedway Forum
Yampy

Wolves 2019

9 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Agree,but if that happens and there are 3 leagues can see the Premier being watered  down farther.IMO if the Premier is going to be watered downI think 1 big league with  North/ South split with Play-Off's to decide Overall Champs would be the way to go financially for the Clubs.

We shall see.

That would be my bet for the way it would be best to go, but we all know what sort of ideas the bspa comes up with.

10 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Agree,but if that happens and there are 3 leagues can see the Premier being watered  down farther.IMO if the Premier is going to be watered downI think 1 big league with  North/ South split with Play-Off's to decide Overall Champs would be the way to go financially for the Clubs.

We shall see.

Who amongst the current Premiership clubs would want a further watering down of team strengths? I can't think of any, not even Leicester.

10 hours ago, Bald Bloke said:

Don't know what the Prem clubs did with the Sky money, but heard BT paid £3k per meeting. Probably less than the clubs loose in fans. Can't see anyone wanting to come up.

Don't think clubs will have much choice ( other than not running ) if the overall strategy demands two leagues with no doubling down of top riders. Riders who have been making a good living out of doubling down will need to accept a lower income from their racing work. Those days are either behind us already or not a part of the realistic future. Without major changes and vastly better marketing ( by whatever means ) we will be lucky to have 12 - 14 clubs running in three years time.

10 hours ago, Fromafar said:

We shall see.

North and south split could be the way to go more chance of attracting away fans cut costs etc.

But the down side depending which league they are in fans will never get to see half of the better riders riding in Britain which for me would be a big miss which puts me off the idea a little.

The massive down side would be if our all knowing BSPA allow doubling up between north and south leagues making the play off final a total farce.(sadly we all know this sort of ruling is not beyond them).

Which ever way they go I only hope they have spent plenty of time planning and thinking this over and that its a done deal before the usual what seems like they all never agree rush job AGM .

Whatever they come up with has to work a lot better than what we have now the future of British speedway depends on it fingers crossed for once they get it right. 

22 hours ago, Beowulf said:

I notice in the Speedway Star that Klint's average is not far from Jacob's (albeit from less matches) I like Jacob but this year has to go down as a disappointment. That said there is no guarantee that Fred will ever be back.

Why has he been a disappointment?

He's actually done better than he should have been expected too.

You should have been expressing your disappointment when he was signed as the No 1 in the first place on an inflated average! The season was a good way to being done at that point.

Edited by BWitcher
  • Like 1

Don't see how a North South split would save money, very few riders live near the track they ride for

Might work if more fans go to away matches because they are close by, buts that all

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Third Man said:

Don't see how a North South split would save money, very few riders live near the track they ride for

Might work if more fans go to away matches because they are close by, buts that all

There would be more local derbys so as you say more fans might attend away meetings. 

On 20 September 2018 at 1:07 PM, Yampy said:

After 2018 didn't work out so well.... What happens next ? 

but surely Freddie has to be persuaded to come back?? 

Think Freddie has come to the understanding now that he doesn't need to be rushing around flying in and out of Britain just as most GP riders don't and doing Sweden, Poland and the GP is not only comfortable but also where the money is and don't see him back here. 

With Lublin getting promoted, I would also be a bit surprised if Robert Lambert does Britain next year as he already does Sweden and Germany to go alongside Poland and the SEC.

On 20 September 2018 at 4:36 PM, stevebrum said:

No good discussing any thoughts until we know the outcome of the AGM!!

Exactly as as it could be like it is, one big league, six or seven man teams and god knows what limit and restrictions but some suggestions here can possibly be put out of reach whichever way it goes.

On 21 September 2018 at 1:58 PM, Beowulf said:

I notice in the Speedway Star that Klint's average is not far from Jacob's (albeit from less matches) I like Jacob but this year has to go down as a disappointment. That said there is no guarantee that Fred will ever be back.

Firstly it's over the same amount of matches and Nicolai has matured as a rider and while Jacob hasn't had a great year anywhere, he is a bargain in a low average next season and possibly the first name on the team next year in either two leagues or one big league. 

Note that Nicolai is no longer a Wolves asset, so although I think he could be a better rider now back there, he turned them down last year and was sold even though he still lives near by. 

On 21 September 2018 at 11:24 PM, Wolfie456 said:

I heard still 3 leagues with probably Ipswich Sheffield Glasgow and Peterborough in premiership with Birmingham Eastbourne and isle of Wight in championship 

Dont  see any Championship team having any thoughts of moving up. The costs rise and they would have to sign a bigger rider but staying in the Championship is doing them fine as they are so why change. 

Birmingham am maybe and think Eastbourne could do well but can't see them changing or IoW

On 22 September 2018 at 11:01 AM, B.V 72 said:

North and south split could be the way to go more chance of attracting away fans cut costs etc.

Never work as current Premiership clubs will have a stronger hold and as you say, you wouldn't get to see half the teams. 

As as for attracting away fans, let's concentrate on getting more local fans in first not trying to expand the very few that do travel now. Make the product more affordable to the majority and get the word out what speedway is. 

One league will will give much more variety of fixtures, more weekly matches too and number sevens would be NL riders plus most reserves. Build to Championship levels and welcome in new riders from Denmark, Sweden, Germany, USA and others to ensure with NL riders there is enough for seven man teams. 

As for Wolves next season. Jacob Thorssell has to be in on a bargain average and if they can keep Kyle Howarth on an average around five he would also be a bargain, but in one league I think Sheffield won't won't to lose him. Luke Becker would be a must and while he has been tipped to join Poole, Wolves have a great tradition of American riders and Sam wouldn't be far to help. They also build loyalty to riders and he could have a long career at Wolves. 

In one league Sam not being an asset could see him at Edinburgh again and Rory maybe staying at Ipswich but I know he loves it at Wolves. Maybe a new number one coming in and a younger rider which could be a suprise signing to Wolves fans and the club he may be with now ?

Ashley Morris is an asset, but will he progress anymore. In one league he would be a second string but as it is a reserve and that could be a big difference in what he can do.  Nathan Greaves is a firm favourite and can see him being back at number six and no doubt many would love to see Tom Bacon in but is a Peterborough asset. 

Guessing games me sin many ways until we see what they decide on their annual piss up ..... I mean meeting 

Looking forward to the talk in in October to see if any ideas will be given on next season.

Both Pete and CVS are usually forthright with their opinions so hoping for a bit of news.

On 9/21/2018 at 10:24 PM, Wolfie456 said:

I heard still 3 leagues with probably Ipswich Sheffield Glasgow and Peterborough in premiership with Birmingham Eastbourne and isle of Wight in championship 

Wouldn't that mean even smaller difference between PL and CL especially if some current riders don't, for whatever reasons, return for the 2019 PL? Also I know IOW is highly regarded but would they be wise to leave their current level? Maybe it's Plymouth and/or Mildenhall more likely to make the jump.

On 9/21/2018 at 11:24 PM, Wolfie456 said:

Can't allow both Sheffield and Leicester in the same league with the same promotion!!!

5 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Can't allow both Sheffield and Leicester in the same league with the same promotion!!!

This is Speedway rules can be changed to suit

49 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Same owners but separate promoters on paper is surely easily arranged if required

On 9/24/2018 at 7:32 PM, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Same owners but separate promoters on paper is surely easily arranged if required

They have different promoters anyway, Lions - Dave Darcy & Neil Machin , Sheffield -Damien Bates, Julie Reading & Peter Mole.