British Speedway Forum
Yampy

Wolves 2019

6 hours ago, INCOGNITO said:

This is where this year they may come unstuck. Yes Wolves, Swindon, Kings Lynn and Poole see themselves as too big to be riding at Championship level and can out vote the other three. However Belle Vue want to carry on in the top level if there is one but would prefer to return to Friday race nights and would be happy to do so in one league.

Leicester want to return to Saturday's so one league would be best for them while Somerset have indicated they would consider one league or Championship with a return to Friday race nights. If the big four vote for a Premiership hopefully these three say No and then all seven are left with no choice but to operate in the Championship 

I've no idea whether what you say is correct but it's interesting that the four who are apparently happy to carry on in the top league are the four who "somehow" managed to keep their traditional race nights, despite the BSPA accepting Monday and Thursday as the fixed nights.

Crowds were clearly down at BelleVue on Monday's, it's a night that historically has never worked for the club. It's not a question of prefering a return to Friday, it's a question of survival. I can understand Leicester being in a similar position but I thought that the change of race night had worked for Somerset, allowing them to get away from the Friday night traffic problems of the M5.

I would prefer either, a bigger top league, preferably about 10 teams, 7 is too few, or, one big league and a separate NL. Teams must be able to race on whichever night enables them to attract the best crowds.

Poole can ride on Thurs and don't think it would make much difference to the crowd, actually might improve it when football is played sometimes midweek. So can't see them demanding Weds to be used! 

18 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Poole can ride on Thurs and don't think it would make much difference to the crowd, actually might improve it when football is played sometimes midweek. So can't see them demanding Weds to be used! 

Most teams will get their best crowd on their traditional race night. It's when fans are used to attending and the night they will have avoided for going to whatever other social interests they may have. Tracks that have a choice of race night will also have chosen their traditional night as the night they consider will give them the best chance of attracting a good crowd. A change to another night will always be a risk.

Edited by Aces51

47 minutes ago, Aces51 said:

I've no idea whether what you say is correct but it's interesting that the four who are apparently happy to carry on in the top league are the four who "somehow" managed to keep their traditional race nights, despite the BSPA accepting Monday and Thursday as the fixed nights.

Crowds were clearly down at BelleVue on Monday's, it's a night that historically has never worked for the club. It's not a question of prefering a return to Friday, it's a question of survival. I can understand Leicester being in a similar position but I thought that the change of race night had worked for Somerset, allowing them to get away from the Friday night traffic problems of the M5.

I would prefer either, a bigger top league, preferably about 10 teams, 7 is too few, or, one big league and a separate NL. Teams must be able to race on whichever night enables them to attract the best crowds.

Interesting that Swindon’s “traditional” race night is a Saturday but were forced to go to Thursdays about 15 years ago for the sake of the greyhounds.

• Like 1

Wolves were Friday's until Dan McCormack & CVS swapped nights with the Brummies. It was a great start to the weekend (socially) when it was Friday racing! 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

If Bournemouth FC qualify for the Europa League (it's not impossible) they would play on Thursday evenings.

29 minutes ago, Col said:

If Bournemouth FC qualify for the Europa League (it's not impossible) they would play on Thursday evenings.

AFC Bournemouth might well qualify for Europa League but not Bournemouth FC. :D  Thursdays have always been Poole's official 'rainoff-night' - at least in recent memory....

You know who I meant.

• Like 1

On 9/22/2018 at 10:59 AM, waytogo28 said:

Don't think clubs will have much choice ( other than not running ) if the overall strategy demands two leagues with no doubling down of top riders. Riders who have been making a good living out of doubling down will need to accept a lower income from their racing work. Those days are either behind us already or not a part of the realistic future. Without major changes and vastly better marketing ( by whatever means ) we will be lucky to have 12 - 14 clubs running in three years time.

You seem to have a fixation about how much riders earn. May I suggest ways are found to reduce riders costs before stopping doubling up or down.

3 hours ago, Aces51 said:

Most teams will get their best crowd on their traditional race night. It's when fans are used to attending and the night they will have avoided for going to whatever other social interests they may have. Tracks that have a choice of race night will also have chosen their traditional night as the night they consider will give them the best chance of attracting a good crowd. A change to another night will always be a risk.

Just a thought why don't Belle Vue ride on a few Saturdays like in old days maybe a 6.30 or 7pm start time. Could alternate between Friday's and Saturdays just avoid Saturdays when footy season on.Sure crowds be just as big maybe more than on Fridays.

4 hours ago, Steve0 said:

Interesting that Swindon’s “traditional” race night is a Saturday but were forced to go to Thursdays about 15 years ago for the sake of the greyhounds.

Saturday was Swindon's traditional night for speedway with many other teams racing on that night, Swindon, Belle Vue, Coventry, Cradley etc., but I think 15 years racing on Thursdays is probably enough to now make that your traditional night. We raced on a Friday  at the dog track but then the landlord decided they wanted that for the dogs and we were left with Monday and crowds that were not sustainable.

55 minutes ago, Wolfie456 said:

Just a thought why don't Belle Vue ride on a few Saturdays like in old days maybe a 6.30 or 7pm start time. Could alternate between Friday's and Saturdays just avoid Saturdays when footy season on.Sure crowds be just as big maybe more than on Fridays.

The problem with Saturdays is not only all of the various FIM events but the Polish meetings on Sunday. That would not only affect the Aces but also the visiting teams. I would be in favour of Saturdays if it was practical, much less traffic and probably more away fans.

Edited by Aces51

5 hours ago, Aces51 said:

We changed our traditional race night years ago when the GP series took off and Buster wanted stocks on Saturday nights, still think a Friday or Saturday is best for speedway to get the kids coming and for the ease of away mtgs but clubs do get half decent crowds on Weds/Thurs... 

The same people who want to unfix the race nights will be moaning about the number of guests due to continental commitments. The uk won’t have priority. It will be like 2017.

1 season of fixed race nights isn’t really a gage. If at all possible stick with it for another year or so and people will start to know speedway is Monday and Wednesday. If you keep changing things just because it’s not working for 1 or 2 teams then we will carry on wateringdown and it will all get farcical again with the number of guests. It will suck.

if Leicester hadn’t lost vaculik early on their crowds would have been decent with a successful team but that’s sport and somebody has to finish last and their crowds will fall to hardcore. 

1 pawlicki/Woffinden/lindgren

masters

morris

Thorsell

covatti

m riss/grieves?

kemp/Brennan

if this is anywhere near fitting. As an outsider this to me would be a team I’d take notice of if they came to my track

• Like 1

i watched mark riss punch & floor masters at monmore this season at a wolves Aces match lol 

2 hours ago, Danny Connor said:

The same people who want to unfix the race nights will be moaning about the number of guests due to continental commitments. The uk won’t have priority. It will be like 2017.

1 season of fixed race nights isn’t really a gage. If at all possible stick with it for another year or so and people will start to know speedway is Monday and Wednesday. If you keep changing things just because it’s not working for 1 or 2 teams then we will carry on wateringdown and it will all get farcical again with the number of guests. It will suck.

Unfortunately, your argument doesn't hold up. Belle Vue ran on a Monday for a number of years because they had no other option and lost a fortune. That's why it was always the plan to change to Friday when the NSS was built.

It's easy to say to those teams who had to change their race night, carry on, we were ok having kept our traditional race day and it worked for us. Is it a price worth paying if it means teams end up closing down, like Rye House?  If you want to continue the experiment then how about next season we do a switch and you change your race night to Monday.

I suspect that the reality is that if Belle Vue are again forced to race on a Monday they will go for the one league option and return to Fridays.

• Like 1