British Speedway Forum
Yampy

Wolves 2019

On 6/4/2019 at 9:27 PM, Call me wolfie said:

I don't think we will ever sign Cook as long as CVS and Pete are there. Who would you have got rid of to sign him?

I know what you mean but some, me included, never thought we would sign Schlein. Regarding Masters he has been disappointing so far and gone backwards.

33 minutes ago, Beowulf said:

I know what you mean but some, me included, never thought we would sign Schlein. Regarding Masters he has been disappointing so far and gone backwards.

Of course, because he is at No 1.

We have four riders who are between no 2 and 3 heat leaders. Whichever of the four rides at 1 will struggle.

The guy at 3 will score big. It should also be 4... if Morris doesn't begin to fire we are in trouble.

Soon Thorssell will be back at 1, Masters likely at 3 and he'll start rattling big points again.

The hope is Thorssell can become a No 1.

Why couldn't we have kept Nicholls instead of N Morris.

Ashley Morris was outstanding again for Birmingham on Wednesday scoring 13 paid 15 beating Danny King twice . Surely it is a matter of time before Ash starts knocking in some decent scores for you boys. Well i hope it is anyway .

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Eduds1 said:

We could have, but the management have stuck to their original -7, so you can’t really fault that.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Eduds1 said:

Because Morris is far better if he gets backs to what he is capable of.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

Because Morris is far better if he gets backs to what he is capable of.

Yes and that's the big question IF.

2 hours ago, Wolfie456 said:

Yes and that's the big question IF.

He can afford to drop by a couple of pts and still be at the level of Nicholls. 

I don't foresee any problems.

9 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

I like Morris. He is very professional, and has been knocking at the door of the next level for sometime. It will be tough on Wolves if he doesn’t have the right head on, but he is still young and has definite talent.

I like Scott as well , but without being unkind , his best days are a long way behind him now and has been inconsistent for years. The problem with riders of Scotts age is that when they lose it , it often goes very quickly. 

26 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

Can he?

Sory but i dont see Morris as being an upgrade on Scott

Jacob yes but Nick no

9 minutes ago, E I Addio said:

I like Morris. He is very professional, and has been knocking at the door of the next level for sometime. It will be tough on Wolves if he doesn’t have the right head on, but he is still young and has definite talent.

I like Scott as well , but without being unkind , his best days are a long way behind him now and has been inconsistent for years. The problem with riders of Scotts age is that when they lose it , it often goes very quickly. 

Scotts best days are behind but i cant see how you can say he is inconsistent

Will get you 8 points a meeting in most meetings

I wouldnt say he has 'lost it' yet either

Since Scott left Wolves have struggled , and yes i know Jacob and Nick are getting back fit

19 minutes ago, Gavan said:

Can he?

Jacob yes but Nick no

Since Scott left Wolves have struggled , and yes i know Jacob and Nick are getting back fit

Scott hasn’t been number standard in many a good season whilst Morris started last season at number one.

Morris has no real known form at present so hard to judge but even if you go by last season Morris had a poor season yet still finished with a higher average than Scott. 

Scott has been in decent form this year which cannot be denied,

Wolves have had 3 meetings with Jacob and Nick back, but yes have lost all 3.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gavan said:

Can he?

Jacob yes but Nick no

Take a look at the average Morris achieved when riding at the 3 and 4 position.

It dropped when he moved to No 1... same as with Thorssell.. same as with Masters.. same as with Schlein.

Yet all of them are still higher than Nicholls, who hasn't had to ride in the much harder position.

As for 8 points a meeting.. that doesn't cut it from 3 or 4.... and no Nicholls doesn't get you that.. unless he gets 5 rides.

10 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

Take a look at the average Morris achieved when riding at the 3 and 4 position.

It dropped when he moved to No 1... same as with Thorssell.. same as with Masters.. same as with Schlein.

Yet all of them are still higher than Nicholls, who hasn't had to ride in the much harder position.

As for 8 points a meeting.. that doesn't cut it from 3 or 4.... and no Nicholls doesn't get you that.. unless he gets 5 rides.

You dont think that riding at 3 or 4 that 8 points is enough from 4 rides?

Your number 1 and 5 should be getting 23 or 24 between them and then your number 3 gets 8 , you are on 32 points and doesnt leave much for the other 4 to get to win a meeting

Scott for Wolves scored

11+2

9+2

12+1

9+2

13+1 away

9+1 away

I would suggest most teams would be happy with that return from their third heat leader 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Gavan said:

You dont think that riding at 3 or 4 that 8 points is enough from 4 rides?

Your number 1 and 5 should be getting 23 or 24 between them and then your number 3 gets 8 , you are on 32 points and doesnt leave much for the other 4 to get to win a meeting

Scott for Wolves scored

11+2

9+2

12+1

9+2

13+1 away

9+1 away

I would suggest most teams would be happy with that return from their third heat leader 

You're really not grasping this.

Wolves have a side built of four riders who are 2nd/3rd heat leaders. They don't have a genuine No 1, so whomever is in that position will see their scores drop.

The No 5 drops somewhat too, but not to the same extreme.

Those at 3/4 make hay.. Thorssell did so ( and is doing again).. Masters has done so and so has Schlein.

This year with Morris also in the mix we have two riders at 3 and 4 who can rattle up the pts (or so the plan was).

So no, we're most definitely not expecting the No 1 to be the top scorer in this side, quite the opposite, he'd be closer to 4th best. 

Those scores for Nicholls were from 5/6 rides a meeting... with RR in place so he's riding with a weaker partner in most races AND had the benefit of riding in Heats 12 and 14.

Thorssell would be scoring 2-3pts a meeting more from the same rides on average.

So to clarify, Scott didn't do anything wrong, he rode to his level. That level however is below that which we need from that position to be successful.

Edited by BWitcher

Hi, I am thinking about going to a Wolverhampton meeting, the one against Peterborough at the end of July. Can someone give me any advice on which are the best (cheapest) hotels to stop in, maybe within walking distance? Where to park my car once I'm at the stadium, how much parking/tickets/programs are... Any advice for a first time visitor would be appreciated, thanks very much. Looking forward to seeing what Wolverhampton has to offer.