British Speedway Forum
Yampy

Wolves 2019

Looking at the current GSA's there is the potential to have a much more balanced side next year assuming the current league structure and points limit remains the same

Sam Masters       8.11

Jacob Thorssell  7.25

Nick Morris          6.91

Ricky Wells           5.43

Kyle Howarth       5.16

Nathan Greaves   3.25

Leaving 6.39 for one more rider. We have to have more strength in depth if we don't go with Freddie at No 1 and this would give us 3 decent heat leaders, 2 decent second strings and Kyle and Nathan at reserve

Edited by Call me wolfie

On 9/22/2018 at 12:41 PM, BWitcher said:

Why has he been a disappointment?

He's actually done better than he should have been expected too.

You should have been expressing your disappointment when he was signed as the No 1 in the first place on an inflated average! The season was a good way to being done at that point.

Dropping his average from last year to me is a disappointment. And no I don't buy the the argument that he had easier rides at no 4 last year. We chose tactically to put a heat leader at no 4. Other teams may have made the same decision. 

19 minutes ago, Beowulf said:

Dropping his average from last year to me is a disappointment. And no I don't buy the the argument that he had easier rides at no 4 last year. We chose tactically to put a heat leader at no 4. Other teams may have made the same decision. 

Come on, you're more intelligent than that surely?

It isn't an 'argument' to buy. It's a reality.

The 4th ride is 1 & 5 v 1 & 5  or 4 & 6 v 4 & 7.

So by 'not buying' the argument you are claiming that racing against two reserves is not easier than racing against two No 1's. Then of course if the other team didn't have their second best rider at 4, it's even easier still.

The effects are quite obvious just by looking at the Wolves season.

Schlein started at No 4, easier riders, average soared, went to No 1. Harder position, began to struggle.

Meanwhile, Masters who had been struggling by his previous standards was moved to No 4, hey presto he suddenly starts scoring heavily and he moves to No 1, where of course his scores drop again.

The difference between riding at 4 or 5 is 1-2 pts in terms of average over the course of the season.

Edited by BWitcher
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Call me wolfie said:

Looking at the current GSA's there is the potential to have a much more balanced side next year assuming the current league structure and points limit remains the same

Sam Masters       8.11

Jacob Thorssell  7.25

Kyle Howarth       5.16

Nathan Greaves   3.25

Leaving 6.39 for one more rider. We have to have more strength in depth if we don't go with Freddie at No 1 and this would give us 3 decent heat leaders, 2 decent second strings and Kyle and Nathan at reserve

Same problem as this year with that team - no number 1

43 minutes ago, magnificentseven said:

Same problem as this year with that team - no number 1

Not so much, the problem with the team this year was he had riders such as Thorssell and Howarth who were never going to maintain their averages.

In the side above, every single one of those riders can increase, especially Thorssell, Morris and Howarth, especially as Howarth would be starting at reserve!

We would also have a very strong reserve throughout the entire season.

Indeed, given a similar structure I would have that team down as favorites without even seeing the opposition it would be that strong.

I highly doubt it will be the same setup though.

Edited by BWitcher

On 9/26/2018 at 2:04 PM, Call me wolfie said:

Sam Masters       8.11

Jacob Thorssell  7.25

Kyle Howarth       5.16

Nathan Greaves   3.25

Do we know the points limit ?

Is Ricky Wells still an asset now ?

One rider that is and could possibly do with a year here after a year of brilliance or nothing is Piotr Pawlicki who would be a great signing for Wolves and British Speedway in general.

Jacob is on a modest average and if Kyle is available he too is on a low average. Hopefully Luke Becker joining rather than going to Poole would also be a good signing.

Morris or Greaves but only one of them and see what the limit is

Talk is that Nick Morris is all but secured for next year at Monmore. Certainly didn't have a great season in 2018 but like Thorssell, Howarth, Wells and a few others will be on modest averages next season. 

On 9/26/2018 at 2:04 PM, Call me wolfie said:

Sam Masters       8.11

Jacob Thorssell  7.25

Kyle Howarth       5.16

Nathan Greaves   3.25

...and which league format would you see this team competing in?;)

5 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

...and which league format would you see this team competing in?;)

If you read his post he clearly states which. I guess this is another of your 'I know something' posts.

Edited by BWitcher
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, INCOGNITO said:

Talk is that Nick Morris is all but secured for next year at Monmore. Certainly didn't have a great season in 2018 but like Thorssell, Howarth, Wells and a few others will be on modest averages next season. 

Would be a very good signing whatever level the league is at.

• Like 2

On 10/27/2018 at 11:18 AM, BWitcher said:

If you read his post he clearly states which. I guess this is another of your 'I know something' posts.

Not at all. I was merely trying to illustrate that there are clubs - like Wolves and Poole and others - that clearly wish to operate at SGBP level.

It seems to me that many so-called fans want to place the blame for all speedway's ills at the feet of the SGBP clubs, when its the SGBC clubs that appear to have just as many if not more problems themselves, yet by sheer numbers are allowed to outvote or overrule SGBP clubs on crucial issues for the way forward.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

Not at all. I was merely trying to illustrate that there are clubs - like Wolves and Poole and others - that clearly wish to operate at SGBP level.

It seems to me that many so-called fans want to place the blame for all speedway's ills at the feet of the SGBP clubs, when its the SGBC clubs that appear to have just as many if not more problems themselves, yet by sheer numbers are allowed to outvote or overrule SGBP clubs on crucial issues for the way forward.

So if four clubs want to carry on at PL level, or above, let them, the rest can then ride at what ever level they want

no problem with this idea at all

Edited by The Third Man

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 11:19 AM, BWitcher said:

Would be a very good signing whatever level the league is at.

He would. Morris will be on 6.74 when the last averages come into play soon I believe :t:

On 28 October 2018 at 2:52 PM, The Third Man said:

So if four clubs want to carry on at PL level, or above, let them, the rest can then ride at what ever level they want

no problem with this idea at all

This is where this year they may come unstuck. Yes Wolves, Swindon, Kings Lynn and Poole see themselves as too big to be riding at Championship level and can out vote the other three. However Belle Vue want to carry on in the top level if there is one but would prefer to return to Friday race nights and would be happy to do so in one league.

Leicester want to return to Saturday's so one league would be best for them while Somerset have indicated they would consider one league or Championship with a return to Friday race nights. If the big four vote for a Premiership hopefully these three say No and then all seven are left with no choice but to operate in the Championship