British Speedway Forum
ProudtobeaBrummie

Thoughts on 2018 Season

Now i know the play offs haven't been complete but Milldenhall are the champions in my eyes (maybe not others) regardless of what happens .

Having watched almost every rider in the league at least twice this season most ive seen 3+

The riders who have impressed me most are 

Drew Kemp - Incredible first season as many predicted but finished of even hitting good scores in the 2nd tier 

Leon Flint -  First season has been brilliant although spent too long at reserve and with his average same as kemps think it is maybe a point too high.

Alfie Bowtell - really kicked on this season incredible to think he didn't have a club at the start of the season on a 6.4 just crazy  .

Tom Bacon -Connor Mountain -James Shanes --- Have looked unbeatable at times and all three i expect to have rode themselves out this league and move to higher tiers.

Ellis Perks - i know this my not be popular and love winding him up but he gives hes all whenever i see him good to watch and always competitive  

Danny Ayres - never used to be overly keen but as above hardly ever fails to deliver.

Richard Andrews -Ended the season Brilliantly rode like a heat leader at times. 

Anders Rowe - has improved every time  i have seen him Expect him to end next season as a No1 .

Riders who Dissapointed..

Tom Perry - was poor on his perry barr visits hardly won a race in his 3 or 4 visits and dropped a point off hes average .

Rob Shuttelworth- Well after a fabulous 2017 dropping best part of 3 points of his average something has seriously gone wrong.

Max Clegg - Slowly been in decline since winning the u19s although form has picked up the last month

All Birmingham's reserves other than Leon flint.

Riders on Value averages for 2019

Max Clegg

Connor Coles 

Richard Andrews 

• Like 1

I think you could add Georgie wood to the list of impressive riders has stepped up like Bacon an out and out number 1 has recorded:

9 maximums at home this season just from looking at speedway updates (not sure if he got many away) 

1 hour ago, TurnTwo said:

I think you could add Georgie wood to the list of impressive riders has stepped up like Bacon an out and out number 1 has recorded:

9 maximums at home this season just from looking at speedway updates (not sure if he got many away) 

He is 10/10 around Arlington and has a average of 11.00  but away from there he has a 3.52 lower average of 7.48 as opposed to the three i mentioned they were ripping it up on every track they visited pretty much . When wood came to Birmingham earlier this season he only scored 6 from 5 winning zero races.. Also wood has not managed to improve his 2nd tier average when the 3 i have mentioned have all improved there average and also all 3 have won top tier races this season.

By the way i am  not saying Georgie Wood has not had a good season b i just think  3 i have mentioned have stood out more than others . 

Edited by ProudtobeaBrummie

Dan Gilkes is gonna be the next big thing of the production line. His last to first at Kent on Monday was sensational, considering the ground he made up.

1 hour ago, cityrebel said:

Dan Gilkes is gonna be the next big thing of the production line. His last to first at Kent on Monday was sensational, considering the ground he made up.

2019 him and Ablitt Eastbourne reserves? He has been there with reading all year after all?

My only thoughts are too many sides having chasms between meetings and the largest gulf between best and worst in any league ever

15 hours ago, cityrebel said:

Whoever has Gilkes at reserve have an excellent prospect. Plus I can’t see there being several newbies on his ability to spread around, unlike this year in Kemp, Flint & Edwards. 

56 minutes ago, Islander15 said:

Whoever has Gilkes at reserve have an excellent prospect. Plus I can’t see there being several newbies on his ability to spread around, unlike this year in Kemp, Flint & Edwards. 

Next year could be tricky as there is a whole heap of riders lurking on the sidelines next year ready to take up places at 15. With plenty of riders still on 3.00 at the end of the year there will be some headaches over the winter but along with Gilkes the Thompsons are coming, Ablitt, Palin, McGurk, Wirtzfield etc. Think Pavitt will make big strides next year at the right club.

Edited by Sings4Speedway
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Next year could be tricky as there is a whole heap of riders lurking on the sidelines next year ready to take up places at 15. With plenty of riders still on 3.00 at the end of the year there will be some headaches over the winter but along with Gilkes the Thompsons are coming, Palin, McGurk, Wirtzfield etc. Think Pavitt will make big strides next year at the right club.

Spot on about the Thompsons !

And going back to 'proud to be a Brummie's' original post ? Eliis Perks gives his all ??? are you serious ??? if he misses the gate and thinks that he can't catch the leader, he always retires and fakes machine trouble.....done several times this season at Perry Barr !

However, I wasn't a fan of Danny Ayres, but he's won me over this season.....I love his all out 'style/never say beaten' attitude.....have to commend his passion !

If we're in the NL next season, I'd love to watch him weekly at PB !

• Like 1

As for highlights i think most have been covered in terms of exceptional rider performances. Bickley & Edwards have been encouraging without stealing headlines likewise the progress of Rowe & Atkins. 

Other highs include the growing reputation of the IOW and the respect they receive for their promotional efforts, the National league continuing to flourish and an exciting play off run in.

Lows injuries to far too many, non committed riders occupying places others would have benefited from, Buxton not scoring a point so far (they deserve better) and Stokes track woes continuing.

• Like 1

can't argue with too much of whats posted above but not sure richard andrews is a value averaged rider as he's been possibly in the form of his career this year after a couple of not so good years, but hope you're right PTBABRUM as i've been a fan since his newport days and was really pleased to see him mixing it up , and beating some of my own riders when he was there last. also ISLANDER not sure about the 'newbees' or lack of them. the worst kept secret at leicester when i was there was probably no room for a coventry side next season as leicester will enter the N.L. and get a bigger crowd with a side with palin and the thompson twins so that's 3 in one side. 

8 minutes ago, gee jay said:

can't argue with too much of whats posted above but not sure richard andrews is a value averaged rider as he's been possibly in the form of his career this year after a couple of not so good years, but hope you're right PTBABRUM as i've been a fan since his newport days and was really pleased to see him mixing it up , and beating some of my own riders when he was there last. also ISLANDER not sure about the 'newbees' or lack of them. the worst kept secret at leicester when i was there was probably no room for a coventry side next season as leicester will enter the N.L. and get a bigger crowd with a side with palin and the thompson twins so that's 3 in one side. 

Probable points limit increase too (42?) and ive just scratched out a Leicester team that would trouble this years Mildenhall side.

1 hour ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Probable points limit increase too (42?) and ive just scratched out a Leicester team that would trouble this years Mildenhall side.

Should have been that this year really,  definitely should be next year, bet it'll be 39 though! 

7 minutes ago, gazzac said:

Should have been that this year really,  definitely should be next year, bet it'll be 39 though! 

I can put my hands up and say i was wrong. I was all for the 39 point limit as in the short term it generated fairer teams but in the longer aspect it just generates falsely inflated averages.

You're right with the averages, if it does stay at 39 next year, they'll be more riders like Jake Knight this year who won't get a ride, if the league structures stay the same .

Edited by gazzac