British Speedway Forum
ProudtobeaBrummie

Thoughts on 2018 Season

39. No way. Will be far fewer as part of the brave new world of British speedway

• Sad 1

Rowe is finishing the season looking like a proper heat leader.

Gilkes looked superb at Kent on Monday night

As a Kent fan, I'd also like to mention the progress Spooner has made this season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Next year could be tricky as there is a whole heap of riders lurking on the sidelines next year ready to take up places at 15. With plenty of riders still on 3.00 at the end of the year there will be some headaches over the winter but along with Gilkes the Thompsons are coming, Ablitt, Palin, McGurk, Wirtzfield etc. Think Pavitt will make big strides next year at the right club.

I didn’t realise the Thompson twins were due next year. 

1 minute ago, Islander15 said:

I didn’t realise the Thompson twins were due next year. 

they're not, they were due fourteen and a half years ago.

17 minutes ago, whistlegang said:

Rowe is finishing the season looking like a proper heat leader.

Gilkes looked superb at Kent on Monday night

As a Kent fan, I'd also like to mention the progress Spooner has made this season.

yes spooner has improved massively and will be a big test next season if he can step up again when in the main body . He struggled as reserve last year ,proved himself one of the better reserves this year so if he could continue next year into a reliable second string he will of had another good season ..

• Like 1

Just a thought ??? not sure if anyone else has mentioned or asked this ???

How come Dan Gilkes was allowed to ride for Lakeside (championship side) last Monday ?

Leon Flint wasn't allowed to ride for B'ham against Peterborough because of his age?

I'm assuming Dan is 16 years old ?

The 2 riders that have impressed me on viewing this season apart from the obvious, are Alfie Bowtell and Anders Rowe .

The one  I expected more from (again on viewing) is/was Kyle Bickley .

12 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

Just a thought ??? not sure if anyone else has mentioned or asked this ???

How come Dan Gilkes was allowed to ride for Lakeside (championship side) last Monday ?

Leon Flint wasn't allowed to ride for B'ham against Peterborough because of his age?

I'm assuming Dan is 16 years old ?

Kent v Lakeside was classed at NL level and Birmingham v Peterborough championship level.

6 hours ago, Woz01 said:

Kent v Lakeside was classed at NL level and Birmingham v Peterborough championship level.

:D:t: thanks !

The problem with 3 point newcomers who are actually worth double or more, just highlights the fact that a better grading system is needed. We can all see that whichever club gets Dan Gilkes and another 3 pointer who is going to make a mockery of his average, is virtually being handed the league championship (as was the case with my team Birmingham, when we took on Jack Smith and Jack Parkinson-Blackburn as 3 pointers, and as has been the case with Mildenhall this season.) 

It surely wouldn't be too difficult to have a couple of independent assessors who could monitor the progress of up and coming under 15's and then give them an assessed average based on their obvious ability. This average could stay in place for say, the first month of the season, and then be re-assessed upwards or downwards as their performances merit?

nothing wrong with 3 pt averages for newbees unless you want to stunt the progress/ confidence of 15 yr olds from the start. never mind blackburn and smith last year you had flint at reserve for long enough this year . the problem is new average comes into effect only after was it 4 or 6 league meetings ? meaning a side can already be practically in the trophy final and through a rd or 2 of the cup but still have rode in only 3 league meetings. average changes whether a certain number of meetings  or monthly should include all competitions .

• Like 3

On 9/23/2018 at 6:54 PM, gee jay said:

nothing wrong with 3 pt averages for newbees unless you want to stunt the progress/ confidence of 15 yr olds from the start. never mind blackburn and smith last year you had flint at reserve for long enough this year . the problem is new average comes into effect only after was it 4 or 6 league meetings ? meaning a side can already be practically in the trophy final and through a rd or 2 of the cup but still have rode in only 3 league meetings. average changes whether a certain number of meetings  or monthly should include all competitions .

Totally agree that everybody should start on a 3.00 but move up the team quicker. The problem with making a small number of meetings get a new average is somebody good can have a bad couple of meeting and drop to reserve when that is not their ability. So I suggest using 4 meetings in all competitions to get a new average for assessed riders and 8 new meetings in all competitions for everyone else! That will also stop clubs using unattached 3.00 superstars in the POs, NLKOC & NT. 

Edited by Islander15
  • Like 4

The problem with using all meetings to be included in obtaining new averages is that all clubs do not enter all competitions, so this would

favour those clubs that only do league ( or trophy) matches.  That is why only league matches are counted.  Of course there is an element

of unfair competition when a team can field a talented kid at reserve and there are any number of examples.  But in Speedway the luck of this

kind of situation tends to move around the clubs, so the law of averages ( no pun intended) means that in the longer term it's the same for

everyone.  Got to say that Gilkes looked very impressive at Kent and Spooner seems to have had an injection of something !

On 9/21/2018 at 11:35 AM, Sings4Speedway said:

Next year could be tricky as there is a whole heap of riders lurking on the sidelines next year ready to take up places at 15. With plenty of riders still on 3.00 at the end of the year there will be some headaches over the winter but along with Gilkes the Thompsons are coming, Ablitt, Palin, McGurk, Wirtzfield etc. Think Pavitt will make big strides next year at the right club.

what is the right club ?, Buxton gave him a chance , and he has gone from a no -hope  wobbler  to a reasonable rider  I would say Buxton have been the right club and if they want him back he should repay their loyalty and go back

• Like 1