British Speedway Forum
ProudtobeaBrummie

Thoughts on 2018 Season

2 hours ago, East End Fan said:

The problem with using all meetings to be included in obtaining new averages is that all clubs do not enter all competitions, so this would

favour those clubs that only do league ( or trophy) matches.  That is why only league matches are counted.  Of course there is an element

of unfair competition when a team can field a talented kid at reserve and there are any number of examples.  But in Speedway the luck of this

kind of situation tends to move around the clubs, so the law of averages ( no pun intended) means that in the longer term it's the same for

everyone.  Got to say that Gilkes looked very impressive at Kent and Spooner seems to have had an injection of something !

Your first paragraph is true but the current situation is flawed too. 

1 hour ago, adonis said:

what is the right club ?, Buxton gave him a chance , and he has gone from a no -hope  wobbler  to a reasonable rider  I would say Buxton have been the right club and if they want him back he should repay their loyalty and go back

There is no doubt that some very top riders have progressed through Buxton and that is you can master the track you can master anywhere. If Pavitt chooses to stay and show some loyalty  good on him and im sure he will progress, if he chooses to go to a track that has more consistent fixtures & surface i suspect he will progress faster.....

On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 5:44 PM, brianbuck said:

The problem with 3 point newcomers who are actually worth double or more, just highlights the fact that a better grading system is needed. We can all see that whichever club gets Dan Gilkes and another 3 pointer who is going to make a mockery of his average, is virtually being handed the league championship (as was the case with my team Birmingham, when we took on Jack Smith and Jack Parkinson-Blackburn as 3 pointers, and as has been the case with Mildenhall this season.) 

It surely wouldn't be too difficult to have a couple of independent assessors who could monitor the progress of up and coming under 15's and then give them an assessed average based on their obvious ability. This average could stay in place for say, the first month of the season, and then be re-assessed upwards or downwards as their performances merit?

It might not look like it but Mildenhall have just one rider who has done that - Drew Kemp. Matt Marson and Sam Bebee are up, but only by about a point and a half - good, but hardly a mockery.

Aside from Kemp, the real improver has been Ryan Kinsley - up by over 3 points - and he's been around for a number of seasons.

How many of us saw that one coming ? 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

There is no doubt that some very top riders have progressed through Buxton and that is you can master the track you can master anywhere. If Pavitt chooses to stay and show some loyalty  good on him and im sure he will progress, if he chooses to go to a track that has more consistent fixtures & surface i suspect he will progress faster.....

I'm not sure their will be many tracks to pick and choose from . If I were him and Buxton made positive noises  I would definitley chuck my hat into buxtons ring , because there may not be that many other opportunities

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Halifaxtiger said:

It might not look like it but Mildenhall have just one rider who has done that - Drew Kemp. Matt Marson and Sam Bebee are up, but only by about a point and a half - good, but hardly a mockery.

Aside from Kemp, the real improver has been Ryan Kinsley - up by over 3 points - and he's been around for a number of seasons.

How many of us saw that one coming ? 

No, saw as a Young Stars rider but never dreamt he would add 3 points this season. Well done Ryan

I read on another post a 30 point limit for next year? That would kill and I mean literally kill the national league. 

Youd have to run teams of:

1 Jason Edwards 6.70

2 Adam Extance 3.16

3 Ethan Spiller 5.38

4 Alex Spooner 4.50

5 Callum Walker 4.17 

6 3 pointer

7 3 pointer 

that tema there means a rider who rides at number 2 is now a number 1. 2 reserves currently are now heat leader and second string land the other 2 seconds strings currently are now seen as more advanced second strings a 30 point limit is a terrible idea 

44 minutes ago, TurnTwo said:

I read on another post a 30 point limit for next year? That would kill and I mean literally kill the national league. 

Youd have to run teams of:

1 Jason Edwards 6.70

2 Adam Extance 3.16

3 Ethan Spiller 5.38

4 Alex Spooner 4.50

5 Callum Walker 4.17 

6 3 pointer

7 3 pointer 

that tema there means a rider who rides at number 2 is now a number 1. 2 reserves currently are now heat leader and second string land the other 2 seconds strings currently are now seen as more advanced second strings a 30 point limit is a terrible idea 

And that would be the pick of a good team! As you say 30 would be a disaster.

i'm hoping this has just blown up from a joke or some hair-brained idea that will be rejected without any hesitation if there is any substance to it . after all where will all the race ready 16 yr olds come from without a strong 3rd tier bringing on the youth and  development league riders. and who will be in this league anyway , if those mentioned move up , the bees trackless and plymouth calling it a day there'll only be the colts , stoke , buxton and a lion cubs/hunters side . as ridiculous as it sounds i am worried as i feel there is no smoke without fire and i suspect like a week before the budget when the leaks say £20 on car tax , 50p on a beer and 2% on vat then when it's £10 on car tax, 10p on beer and 1% vat we all think we've got off lightly. so i think they could be looking at 34 .  

The year it went to 36 wasn’t great, 34 doesn’t make it much better than 30! The limit needs to be 42/42.5 run all 3 leagues the same remove the D from development league it’s a full league on its own that is flourishing!!

Edited by TurnTwo
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, gee jay said:

i'm hoping this has just blown up from a joke or some hair-brained idea that will be rejected without any hesitation if there is any substance to it . after all where will all the race ready 16 yr olds come from without a strong 3rd tier bringing on the youth and  development league riders. and who will be in this league anyway , if those mentioned move up , the bees trackless and plymouth calling it a day there'll only be the colts , stoke , buxton and a lion cubs/hunters side . as ridiculous as it sounds i am worried as i feel there is no smoke without fire and i suspect like a week before the budget when the leaks say £20 on car tax , 50p on a beer and 2% on vat then when it's £10 on car tax, 10p on beer and 1% vat we all think we've got off lightly. so i think they could be looking at 34 .  

The smoke signals are pretty persistent on this and, as we all know, there is no smoke without fire.

32 minutes ago, TurnTwo said:

The year it went to 36 wasn’t great, 34 doesn’t make it much better than 30! The limit needs to be 42/42.5 run all 3 leagues the same remove the D from development league it’s a full league on its own that is flourishing!!

100% agree the NL is in a pretty good state at the moment and it would be tragic if it is destroyed to prop up the failings of the higher leagues. Heading into the final weeks of the season there were 7 of the 10 teams still in with a shout of play off places, IOW have enjoyed a vastly improved year. Only Stoke & Buxton have had troubled years and struggle to attract the riders although Buxton certainly have the right ethos and i feel are on the climb with reputation. 

How about a little handicapping to help sides year on year? Play off teams build to 41, Next four to 42 & bottom two to 43?

17 hours ago, gazzac said:

And that would be the pick of a good team! As you say 30 would be a disaster.

I think all National League supporters would agree with your thoughts.  30 would kill the league off entirely.  But the rumours as to

the truth of it keep persisting. But entering comments on this thread will not change matters. Perhaps we should all write about our

concerns directly to the BSPA ?  Maybe someone with the technical know-how could start an e-mail petition ?

Would the idea behind them dropping the limit to 30 be , so alot of the higher average riders have to step up to fill the spots in the Super League ?? ( provided they go to a 2 league system ) ..

6 hours ago, East End Fan said:

I think all National League supporters would agree with your thoughts.  30 would kill the league off entirely.  But the rumours as to

the truth of it keep persisting. But entering comments on this thread will not change matters. Perhaps we should all write about our

concerns directly to the BSPA ?  Maybe someone with the technical know-how could start an e-mail petition ?

We are probably pretty much agreed that the BSPA doesn't give a rat's backside about the NL. Never has and unlikely to in the future

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ancient mariner said:

We are probably pretty much agreed that the BSPA doesn't give a rat's backside about the NL. Never has and unlikely to in the future

You are undoubtedly right about the current views of the BSPA regarding the National League.  But I do not think it was always like that.

Admittedly, as a Lakeside supporter, I have watched National League racing as a neutral so have tended not to think about the politics.

But now, with my team moving to Rye House, I will be unable to follow them very often so will probably watch more NL at Eastbourne and

Kent ( both where I can sit down and get a good view) next year, that is, if they run in that league.  Like others on this thread, I think the

present set up in the NL has the balance of team strengths about right, so all this talk of a 30 point limit sets off alarm bells for me.