British Speedway Forum
ProudtobeaBrummie

Thoughts on 2018 Season

My problem with a low points limit, which I consider 39 to be low, is that it means riders like Alfie Bowtell don't get a team spot (thankfully he got one mid season) but riders like Arran Butcher, Lewis Whitmore, Kieran Douglas, Jacob Clouting etc (sub 2.00 riders) get team places. Nothing against these guys personally, but just because your're young and on a 3.00 ave doesn't mean you have a future! A low points limit could mean improving riders (but not superstars) like Anders Rowe or Henry Atkins getting dropoped for the next batch of 3.00 riders!

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

My problem with a low points limit, which I consider 39 to be low, is that it means riders like Alfie Bowtell don't get a team spot (thankfully he got one mid season) but riders like Arran Butcher, Lewis Whitmore, Kieran Douglas, Jacob Clouting etc (sub 2.00 riders) get team places. Nothing against these guys personally, but just because your're young and on a 3.00 ave doesn't mean you have a future! A low points limit could mean improving riders (but not superstars) like Anders Rowe or Henry Atkins getting dropoped for the next batch of 3.00 riders!

The problem stems by the ways lots of clubs like to build teams. Use the minimum possible at reserve and then fill up the main team with big hitters. Bowtell & Hunter had averages that were not quite heat leader but too high for 2nd string. Clubs will always gamble on a Clouting because there is the hope he might be the next rider to make a mockery of his average. Issue i have generally is when some are signed year on year and do nothing but block up a potential place and still cannot improve on a 3 point average.

• Like 1

On 9/20/2018 at 8:58 PM, ruckerroo said:

My only thoughts are too many sides having chasms between meetings and the largest gulf between best and worst in any league ever

This.

Teams getting thrashed at home doesn’t do anybody any good. 

On 9/28/2018 at 1:14 AM, gee jay said:

i'm hoping this has just blown up from a joke or some hair-brained idea that will be rejected without any hesitation if there is any substance to it . after all where will all the race ready 16 yr olds come from without a strong 3rd tier bringing on the youth and  development league riders. and who will be in this league anyway , if those mentioned move up , the bees trackless and plymouth calling it a day there'll only be the colts , stoke , buxton and a lion cubs/hunters side . as ridiculous as it sounds i am worried as i feel there is no smoke without fire and i suspect like a week before the budget when the leaks say £20 on car tax , 50p on a beer and 2% on vat then when it's £10 on car tax, 10p on beer and 1% vat we all think we've got off lightly. so i think they could be looking at 34 .  

Have Plymouth called it a day ??

3 hours ago, Falcons50 said:

Have Plymouth called it a day ??

should have put "if" in there really , hope it's not the case .

• Like 1

On 10/6/2018 at 12:59 PM, gee jay said:

should have put "if" in there really , hope it's not the case .

So do I but I'm not holding my breath on it :-(

Edited by Falcons50

On 9/27/2018 at 5:53 PM, TurnTwo said:

I read on another post a 30 point limit for next year?

So everyone starts the season with a "losing" team (one wheree the total of the averages don't meet the total needed to win a meeting)

What a great selling point to the public, isn't it? But that's just a short term problem.

The long term problem is that if you pack the team with low-average riders who then go on to score the points that they will, over the course of the season, then they will all massively improve their averages, making them unemployable the following year. THEN where do you get the next crop of wobblers from? And how bad do they have to be to get under the average limit?  And you are still expecting the public to pay to watch this?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, uk_martin said:

So everyone starts the season with a "losing" team (one wheree the total of the averages don't meet the total needed to win a meeting)

What a great selling point to the public, isn't it? But that's just a short term problem.

The long term problem is that if you pack the team with low-average riders who then go on to score the points that they will, over the course of the season, then they will all massively improve their averages, making them unemployable the following year. THEN where do you get the next crop of wobblers from? And how bad do they have to be to get under the average limit?  And you are still expecting the public to pay to watch this?

Whilst slightly disrespectful to some "wobblers" your point about averages is very valid. Setting a low starting point is fine IF there is a much steadier stream of capable riders coming through each year PLUS there are opportunities to move up into the higher leagues which will also have to be severely weakened in line with the lower levels or the gulf will be huge. 

The likelihood is riders who failed to better a 3.00 this season would end up with an average of 5 - 6 if a 30 point limit was imposed, does that make them better than or equal to a rider who achieved a 5 - 6 point average this season?  

It is thought - by some - that an extremely low average will force some of those in the NL who are content to stay there and score big points on reasonable pay up.

My own view is that there are very few like that, any rider with ambitions will want to go up anyway and that the higher leagues have a disastrous record of dumping a young rider within a short period of time if he doesn't score well. The latter will mean at least potentially that they can't ride anywhere.

From what I have heard, almost all NL promotions are against it and that suggests a very low team building average won't happen. It would be utterly ludicrous to force most of the league to do something that they don't want and I can see a number of tracks closing if they do. The NL  can see that people won't be shelling out for something little more than a training session and while wages will reduce, the cost of stadiums, insurance, medical cover. shale etc will remain exactly the same.

Frankly - and even allowing for the point about disparity of strengths - I believe that the NL just about hits the balance between developing riders and being a business spot on. It should therefore be left very much alone and allowed to go its own way without interference by outsiders who, lets face it, aren't exactly in a position to tell others how to run their league.

• Like 4

My thoughts on 2018 have not changed from the previous years.

The NL to break away from the BSPA and register themselves with the SCB independently .

Then a straight 42 point limit every season.

Still British passport holders only.

No doubling up, if a rider wants to ride in a different league having signed for  a NL team then he leaves the NL and cannot come back for 2 seasons  and gets an enhanced average subsequently.

Handicap system so 'weaker brethren' one season gets 43/44 limit the next season.

Not too bothered about Guests and r/r within reason.

There have been some terrific NL races this season and with a 42 point limit the best can be retained with no real 'wobblers'

Sell a highlights package to a TV company showing all the races and cutting out all the between inter heats delay and rubbish spouted by presenters like Pearson.  This could be screened the following evening.

After a few years the NL would become Britains foremost league if they do it right and some of the other clubs will be anxious to join.

Drastic maybe but that is just what we need.  I have no doubt it wont happen but I can dream.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hunters said:

My thoughts on 2018 have not changed from the previous years.

The NL to break away from the BSPA and register themselves with the SCB independently .

Then a straight 42 point limit every season.

Still British passport holders only.

No doubling up, if a rider wants to ride in a different league having signed for  a NL team then he leaves the NL and cannot come back for 2 seasons  and gets an enhanced average subsequently.

Handicap system so 'weaker brethren' one season gets 43/44 limit the next season.

Not too bothered about Guests and r/r within reason.

There have been some terrific NL races this season and with a 42 point limit the best can be retained with no real 'wobblers'

Sell a highlights package to a TV company showing all the races and cutting out all the between inter heats delay and rubbish spouted by presenters like Pearson.  This could be screened the following evening.

After a few years the NL would become Britains foremost league if they do it right and some of the other clubs will be anxious to join.

Drastic maybe but that is just what we need.  I have no doubt it wont happen but I can dream.

Would put you in charge - great ideas.

I think HalifaxTiger has summed it up very well. I agree with him that the league at present hits it about right between giving young riders

the opportunities to show their skill while at the same time keeping the business in line. In the past year or two it seems that the Management

of the BSPA interfered with what the promoters wanted and brought in the 39 limit. I remember a lot of talk about it during last Winter.

The league should be left alone to run their own affairs, they are not doing a bad job IMO.

Richard Weston has some good ideas, not sure how practical they are...I could see rider problems if there was a break away from the BSPA

and selling highlights to a TV company sounds good, but it cannot be easy to do, otherwise I'm sure it would have been done.

Like the idea of allowing a bottom club in any one year build higher than the rest the next year but doubt if it will happen.

That would just leave the bottom clubs trying to lose matches matter in the season so they had an advantage a year later.

• Like 1