British Speedway Forum
bigcatdiary

Peterborough v Lakeside KOC, CS SF & Play Off SF 6th/7th Oct

11 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Speculation now over and all seems perfectly reasonable to me

Wonder if anyone will look to argue that a planned operation doesnt count as being injured......

A facility is available under Art 16.1.5.h - sickness or non-speedway injury. 

10 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Speculation now over and all seems perfectly reasonable to me

Wonder if anyone will look to argue that a planned operation doesnt count as being injured......

Reading the announcement it sounds as though he is at the mercy of the NHS and although a planned and not emergency operation I doubt he has any control or choice in the matter.  

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, maneacat said:

Reading the announcement it sounds as though he is at the mercy of the NHS and although a planned and not emergency operation I doubt he has any control or choice in the matter.  

Absolutely - and nothing is more important than your health and wellbeing so cant blame him at all for going with it

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Absolutely - and nothing is more important than your health and wellbeing so cant blame him at all for going with it

fully agree well said

4 hours ago, Flappy said:

Fans lose out yet again 

As does the rider (points money) the promotion and his team mates.

Pretty sure if it could have been changed it would have been

• Like 2

12 hours ago, maneacat said:

I wouldn't fully agree with that. If you're prepared to pay for a minor op, as the news item says was considered, I'd say that you can pick your date going private.

1 minute ago, scoobydoo said:

No doubt getting it done before Brexit as well

Wouldn't know anything about that. What's Brexit?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Crump99 said:

I wouldn't fully agree with that. If you're prepared to pay for a minor op, as the news item says was considered, I'd say that you can pick your date going private.

Yes of course but who would pay if BWD couldn’t afford it - Peterborough or Somerset or both?  Even if it’s classed as “minor” if a General anaesthetic is required and maybe 1 or 2 overnight stay in a Private hospital that does not come cheap.   He is obviously going down the NHS route and along with that are many rules and conditions I’m sure - maybe someone who is familiar with them can enlighten us but I doubt it’s simple to just cancel the date given and say sorry but I can’t make that date please re-arrange - maybe he has already and this is final date offered to him.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, maneacat said:

Yes of course but who would pay if BWD couldn’t afford it - Peterborough or Somerset or both?  Even if it’s classed as “minor” if a General anaesthetic is required and maybe 1 or 2 overnight stay in a Private hospital that does not come cheap.   He is obviously going down the NHS route and along with that are many rules and conditions I’m sure - maybe someone who is familiar with them can enlighten us but I doubt it’s simple to just cancel the date given and say sorry but I can’t make that date please re-arrange - maybe he has already and this is final date offered to him.  

Cost or responsibility isn't mentioned so who knows. It just says timescale and I'm not sure what that means in this situation, I wouldn't imagine that the rules around non urgent surgery would be too strict and the NHS seems to cancel such things at very short notice themselves. If you had a similar problem known about in June but you were going abroad for a month in September then wouldn't you say that you can't attend at that time. I'm sure that it would be noted and agreed that you'd be fitted in before or after. Likewise if you're a UK sportsman from March to October then wouldn't you mention that and fit it in during the close season as I recall happening on other occasions in the past. If it's causing pain then asap is very important but there's no mention of that and BWD rode very well on Sunday on a track that would certainly pull hard on a damaged shoulder, although removal of plate and screws suggests that it has healed but will need rest afterwards for the rest of our season would be my guess. Anyway, it is what it is and that's not going to change.

1 hour ago, Crump99 said:

Cost or responsibility isn't mentioned so who knows. It just says timescale and I'm not sure what that means in this situation, I wouldn't imagine that the rules around non urgent surgery would be too strict and the NHS seems to cancel such things at very short notice themselves. If you had a similar problem known about in June but you were going abroad for a month in September then wouldn't you say that you can't attend at that time. I'm sure that it would be noted and agreed that you'd be fitted in before or after. Likewise if you're a UK sportsman from March to October then wouldn't you mention that and fit it in during the close season as I recall happening on other occasions in the past. If it's causing pain then asap is very important but there's no mention of that and BWD rode very well on Sunday on a track that would certainly pull hard on a damaged shoulder, although removal of plate and screws suggests that it has healed but will need rest afterwards for the rest of our season would be my guess. Anyway, it is what it is and that's not going to change.

Saturday's fixture is now a double-header. No start time yet announced but let's hope they have the sense to start at 6pm this time.

12 minutes ago, tocha said:

Saturday's fixture is now a double-header. No start time yet announced but let's hope they have the sense to start at 6pm this time.

or earlier!

One would assume the timing of BWD's surgery is on the advice of surgeons, so i would just wish him all the best and hope his recovery is a swift one...

• Like 2