British Speedway Forum
bigcatdiary

Peterborough v Lakeside KOC, CS SF & Play Off SF 6th/7th Oct

I absolutely love this sport but I, like many others, are finding this year just too much. One of my biggest bugbears at the moment is the constant whining and petty arguments from promotions off the track! In a struggling sport, there are too many simply in it for themselves and unable to get along and help each other out. Peterborough a clear example here. There are many others guilty, Mildenhall and Eastbourne in the National League also clear examples. All I've read and heard in the last three months is the likes of Rob Godfrey and Ged Rathbone moan on and on about why they're being hard done by in various scenarios. I haven't attended Peterborough once this year and that is purely based on this man and how he carries out his business. I fail to see how the sport will ever become improved when we have this constant bickering and whining. Until promotors are willing to help each other, surely they realise their own situations are not going to improve! Let the riders do the talking on the track, that is where the fans want the drama!

Anyway, congratulations to Lakeside on the win. Glad they've managed to get to a final after losing their track.

• Like 5

A great deal of uninformed nonsense posted here tonight. I challenge any other Club faced with a major floodlight failure to be able to install temporary lights (albeit with a delay) and then complete the meeting.

Edited by NeilWatson
  • Like 8

5 minutes ago, NeilWatson said:

A great deal of uninformed nonsense posted here tonight. I challenge any other Club faced with a major floodlight failure to be able to install temporary lights (albeit with a delay) and then complete the meeting.

Respect due. It would have been very easy to call it off and accept defeat, but to battle on against the adversity shows what can be achieved with some effort.

• Like 1

At the time of the floodlight failure, the meeting had reached a stage where the result could have been declared. Peterborough, having temporary lights to hand, decided to utilise them in the likely knowledge that this would take some time to put into effect. In the meantime, those who had paid to witness tonight's proceedings were left to shiver in the cold (or go home) not knowing how much longer things would take. The Panthers' promotion made the call and it is for the fans to decide if it was the right one.

As stated above, the opportunity to get this semi-final out of the way much earlier was there if both parties wanted it to happen. Oh, and the Lakeside reserves scored just two points between them.

• Like 1

Just now, TonyE said:

At the time of the floodlight failure, the meeting had reached a stage where the result could have been declared. Peterborough, having temporary lights to hand, decided to utilise them in the likely knowledge that this would take some time to put into effect. In the meantime, those who had paid to witness tonight's proceedings were left to shiver in the cold (or go home) not knowing how much longer things would take. The Panthers' promotion made the call and it is for the fans to decide if it was the right one.

As stated above, the opportunity to get this semi-final out of the way much earlier was there if both parties wanted it to happen. Oh, and the Lakeside reserves scored just two points between them.

Totally incorrect. Once a meeting starts it is the referee, and the referee ALONE who can decide to abandon a meeting. As staging Promoter I have no control over that decision.

• Like 1

Looks to me like Boro went above and beyond what you could expect in order to get the 15 heats completed

Whilst a long delay is unfortunate it wouldve been much easier just to pack up and send everyone home feeling short changed and I think Boris effort should in this case be wholly commended

• Like 3

1 minute ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Looks to me like Boro went above and beyond what you could expect in order to get the 15 heats completed

Whilst a long delay is unfortunate it wouldve been much easier just to pack up and send everyone home feeling short changed and I think Boris effort should in this case be wholly commended

Not only were we determined to finish the main meeting, we had eleven junior riders here for an MDL challenge match who would have lost the opportunity to ride had the meeting been abandoned.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, 2ndbendbeerhut said:

When will the streetlights from the local housing estate be returned? B)

They came from foxhole as theres no need for any there at the moment as the speedway season ended weeks ago there

3 minutes ago, TheScotsman said:

Didn't think they had track lighting at Fox Holes! 

The lighting is excellent - just pointed more at the stock car track!

20 minutes ago, scoobydoo said:

They came from foxhole as theres no need for any there at the moment as the speedway season ended weeks ago there

No wonder they were dull .

48 minutes ago, Speedway28 said:

I absolutely love this sport but I, like many others, are finding this year just too much. One of my biggest bugbears at the moment is the constant whining and petty arguments from promotions off the track! In a struggling sport, there are too many simply in it for themselves and unable to get along and help each other out. Peterborough a clear example here. There are many others guilty, Mildenhall and Eastbourne in the National League also clear examples. All I've read and heard in the last three months is the likes of Rob Godfrey and Ged Rathbone moan on and on about why they're being hard done by in various scenarios. I haven't attended Peterborough once this year and that is purely based on this man and how he carries out his business. I fail to see how the sport will ever become improved when we have this constant bickering and whining. Until promotors are willing to help each other, surely they realise their own situations are not going to improve! Let the riders do the talking on the track, that is where the fans want the drama!

Anyway, congratulations to Lakeside on the win. Glad they've managed to get to a final after losing their track.

Despite how disappointed I am with our teams performance tonight (apart from Lambert and TJ)..I have to respond to your post and say what a load of nonsense you are talking. Rathbone is certainly not part of the BSPA mafia that is ruining this sport. And to prove the point why did he and the promotion bust a gut in the face of adversity to get the meeting completed when it could have been abandoned and restaged. I bet not many other clubs would have done that so to conclude you are talking utter b####### and people like you could cause defamation of character with crap like this and it ain't on.

Edited by Lukas
Grammar
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Lukas said:

Despite how disappointed I am with our teams performance tonight (apart from Lambert and TJ)..I have to respond to your post and say what a load of nonsense you are talking. Rathbone is certainly not part of the BSPA mafia that is ruining this sport. And to prove the point why did he and the promotion bust a gut in the face of adversity to get the meeting completed when it could have been abandoned and restaged. I bet not many other clubs would have done that so to conclude you are talking utter b####### and people like you could cause defamation of character with crap like this and it ain't on.

Please point out where I referred to tonight's meeting in any way in my post? I was talking about the build up where he has constantly moaned about Lakeside. I have also explained that it's not just him in the sport doing a similar kind of thing. I appreciate you may be disappointed your quadruple chances are over but I'm afraid you're slightly off point here. 

• Like 1