British Speedway Forum
bigcatdiary

Peterborough v Lakeside KOC, CS SF & Play Off SF 6th/7th Oct

7 minutes ago, Lukas said:

Despite how disappointed I am with our teams performance tonight (apart from Lambert and TJ)..I have to respond to your post and say what a load of nonsense you are talking. Rathbone is certainly not part of the BSPA mafia that is ruining this sport. And to prove the point why did he and the promotion bust a gut in the face of adversity to get the meeting completed when it could have been abandoned and restaged. I bet not many other clubs would have done that so to conclude you are talking utter b####### and people like you could cause defamation of character with crap like this and it ain't on.

Meeting would not have been restaged as it had passed the point where a result could be declared.

• Like 2

Fair play to the promotion. The easiest thing to do was to call it off but they battled on in adversity to get the meeting completed.  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Noodles said:

Fair play to the promotion. The easiest thing to do was to call it off but they battled on in adversity to get the meeting completed.  

Exactly, didn’t do a lakeside and call it off 2 heats early cheating the general public.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Panthers89 said:

Exactly, didn’t do a lakeside and call it off 2 heats early cheating the general public.

As stated by your own promoter, only the Ref can call it off early. Don't blame Lakeside as I suspect Peterborough weren't that bothered either.

10 minutes ago, rocket007 said:

As stated by your own promoter, only the Ref can call it off early. Don't blame Lakeside as I suspect Peterborough weren't that bothered either.

So you're saying the ref created a curfew that didn't exist the week before? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Down to the ref to be strong and make the correct call - whichever way that is

If he says carry on Lakeside must or as you say forfeit

Equally if he agrees and calls it off you cant complain - his decision must be final

The referee Graham Reeve tonight was awful  he missed 5/6 ragged starts when riders should have been called back Newman clearly finished third in heat  7 but he gave third place to Wilkinson who was a wheel length behind  excluded Palm Toft in heat 6 for going over the tapes when it was already being pinned to the ground by another rider . Worst display I've seen from a ref in many a year he was shocking , Also in heat 2 Andersen nearly wiped every body out as he went towards outside bend 1 lap 1 but he allowed race to continue until he eventually crashed coming into the home straight lap3 then declared unfit to race and withdrawn from the meeting then allowed to come back into the meeting and take 3 more rides . Good luck to Lakeside in the final they deserved the win over 2 legs against a depleted Panthers side who generally were not at the races. I do think they will find Workington a lot harder to beat though

• Like 1

Although I raised the point earlier in the week with no response, on arriving for todays meeting I was informed that season  tickets were not valid and was required to pay. I do not mind paying as such but with no warning it would  have been all the same if I and others had arrived without having the cash required.

2 hours ago, Speedway28 said:

I absolutely love this sport but I, like many others, are finding this year just too much. One of my biggest bugbears at the moment is the constant whining and petty arguments from promotions off the track! In a struggling sport, there are too many simply in it for themselves and unable to get along and help each other out. Peterborough a clear example here. There are many others guilty, Mildenhall and Eastbourne in the National League also clear examples. All I've read and heard in the last three months is the likes of Rob Godfrey and Ged Rathbone moan on and on about why they're being hard done by in various scenarios. I haven't attended Peterborough once this year and that is purely based on this man and how he carries out his business. I fail to see how the sport will ever become improved when we have this constant bickering and whining. Until promotors are willing to help each other, surely they realise their own situations are not going to improve! Let the riders do the talking on the track, that is where the fans want the drama!

Anyway, congratulations to Lakeside on the win. Glad they've managed to get to a final after losing their track.

Well if it bothers you so much how Panthers run there business stay away as we will hardly miss someone who only turns up once a season will we.

1 hour ago, Noodles said:

So you're saying the ref created a curfew that didn't exist the week before? 

To be honest, both sides had probably had enough by then and made a gentlemans agreement. As for the curfew, I really don't believe there is one as I have been going to Rye House for many years and never heard of one before and several times in the past have been at the track until nearly 11.pm. It seems strange that one week when results matter, meetings can go on until 11pm, then the following week when the second result doesn't matter after heat 13, it suddenly becomes a curfew issue.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, New era Panthers said:

The referee Graham Reeve tonight was awful  he missed 5/6 ragged starts when riders should have been called back Newman clearly finished third in heat  7 but he gave third place to Wilkinson who was a wheel length behind  excluded Palm Toft in heat 6 for going over the tapes when it was already being pinned to the ground by another rider . Worst display I've seen from a ref in many a year he was shocking , Also in heat 2 Andersen nearly wiped every body out as he went towards outside bend 1 lap 1 but he allowed race to continue until he eventually crashed coming into the home straight lap3 then declared unfit to race and withdrawn from the meeting then allowed to come back into the meeting and take 3 more rides . Good luck to Lakeside in the final they deserved the win over 2 legs against a depleted Panthers side who generally were not at the races. I do think they will find Workington a lot harder to beat though

Agree 100%. Sat near start and couldn't believe his decisions. Totally inept.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

regarding the meeting tonight, how many clubs would have lighting available on site and ready to go, not many i would suggest

3 hours ago, NeilWatson said:

A great deal of uninformed nonsense posted here tonight. I challenge any other Club faced with a major floodlight failure to be able to install temporary lights (albeit with a delay) and then complete the meeting.

Well yeah, but it shouldn't have taken so long.     

Sh*t happens and it'd be totally unreasonable to blame anybody at Panthers for an electric fault.  But the whole thing was an utter farce.  Given the fact that contingency floodlights were available on site -  and that must have been known beforehand - it should never have taken so long to get them set up.  

Some of what we witnessed beggared belief.  After ages watching Fred Karno's Army trying to fix the floodlights, and then fetching two sets of temporary floodlights, it was eventually announced that another (third) set were needed, and that they'd be put on the centre green to give more light to turn 3.  But Fred K's truck tazzed around the outside of the track :rolleyes: 

After a further comical delay, Fred K brought them onto the infield - but set up them much too far from the track.  Everybody and his dog could see that most of the light was illuminating the grass and not the track.  It was also obvious that it hadn't been set at the maximum height, which surely was needed.  After several more wasted minutes, Fred K reappeared (I was half expecting the Keystone Cops to be following him!) and hastily raised it to the max.  Eventually the beams were redirected to give more light to the track, enough for the racing to restart.  But it could have been, AND should have been, all sorted out about an hour beforehand.   

Another thing: why didn't Panthers just concede and let the ref abandon it with the result to stand.  If my arithmetic is correct, we needed three 5-1 heat wins on the bounce to even make it a last heat decider.  There wasn't a snowball's chance in hell of that happening.  Anyway, I reckon about 2/3 of the people had already gone home by then. 

Yet another case of the speedway shooting itself in the foot.  :rolleyes: 

there are regulations regarding where obstacles can go on the infield, not so easy as moving lights nearer the track

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TonyE said:

, and the Lakeside reserves scored just two points between them.

You make a good point there.  Panthers' failure to win on aggregate wasn't anything to do with Lakeside bringing in those 3 riders.  It was their 'big three' that made the difference - as it was always likely to do. 

Anyway, bottom line is that Lakeside went through...... and deserved it.