British Speedway Forum
bigcatdiary

Peterborough v Lakeside KOC, CS SF & Play Off SF 6th/7th Oct

I eventually gave up and left early. My choice.

Fair play in trying to get the meeting to continue. Bringing in temp lights,moving them,moving them again and again wasn't looking good. Comical if we weren't sat in the cold with little information. Waiting over 45 minutes,still no real sign if the meeting restarting, cold and tired,I gave up.

Bizarre situation in the car park. Being careful where I was walking on the uneven surface with the temporary lighting being just enough to get by. Along come the emergency lighting crew to take the light back to the track. Fair enough. What I wasn't expecting was to see one of the guys staying in the van and having a cigarette, no apparent urgency. Then suddenly no lights making it a very dangerous. No thought for public safety.

A very bad day,speedway wise for me. Suffered the poor NLRC and then this. Left home at 6am and got back at 11pm. 

In no rush to return to either Leicester or Peterborough after yesterday. Poole tonight for the play off is very likely to be my last meeting if the season. Can't make the final even if the Pirates get there! 

So am I reading this right that the Peterbourgh promotion let Lakeside replace a rider that last visit scored zero , with a rider that last visit scored 9.

Junior

32 minutes ago, BobC said:

I eventually gave up and left early. My choice.

Fair play in trying to get the meeting to continue. Bringing in temp lights,moving them,moving them again and again wasn't looking good. Comical if we weren't sat in the cold with little information. Waiting over 45 minutes,still no real sign if the meeting restarting, cold and tired,I gave up.

Bizarre situation in the car park. Being careful where I was walking on the uneven surface with the temporary lighting being just enough to get by. Along come the emergency lighting crew to take the light back to the track. Fair enough. What I wasn't expecting was to see one of the guys staying in the van and having a cigarette, no apparent urgency. Then suddenly no lights making it a very dangerous. No thought for public safety.

A very bad day,speedway wise for me. Suffered the poor NLRC and then this. Left home at 6am and got back at 11pm. 

In no rush to return to either Leicester or Peterborough after yesterday. Poole tonight for the play off is very likely to be my last meeting if the season. Can't make the final even if the Pirates get there! 

Just out of interest what time did you make it to the showground from Leicester?

Edited by Noodles

12 hours ago, NeilWatson said:

A great deal of uninformed nonsense posted here tonight. I challenge any other Club faced with a major floodlight failure to be able to install temporary lights (albeit with a delay) and then complete the meeting.

Totally incorrect. Once a meeting starts it is the referee, and the referee ALONE who can decide to abandon a meeting. As staging Promoter I have no control over that decision.

Not only were we determined to finish the main meeting, we had eleven junior riders here for an MDL challenge match who would have lost the opportunity to ride had the meeting been abandoned.

Is this your idea of an apology to fans? You seem to be patting yourself on the back more than apologising.

Edited by iainb
  • Like 1

I was/am well aware that the meeting referee has the final call on abandonment but, as others have said, normally receives input from the teams involved. I applaud Peterborough for having 'emergency' lighting replacements to hand (without such the meeting/result would most certainly have been called off/result declared) and it was their decision to try to utilise said equipment that 'kept the meeting' alive. Whether or not the likely impact/delay on the spectators present, on a chilly evening, played any part in the decision making process, only the home promotion know.

As ever, and common across the speedway community, communication could be improved.

10 minutes ago, Noodles said:

Just out of interest what time did you make it to the showground from Leicester?

Took us 70 minutes. Got there at 4.35.

Sounds like a very stressful day for all concerned. I was prepared to do both meetings yesterday, but the events at Rye the night before, made the decision for me.

with it being a show ground, cars,, trucks and horses , plus other things going on . it was sure to have temp lighting for various stands and odd bits of other lighting in and around the venue . even tho other tracks will not have this type of gear  available to them , because they dont have to have it .  sure many tracks will not have extra lighting because they dont do other events . why are you patting yourself on the back ?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

33 minutes ago, iainb said:

Is this your idea of an apology to fans? You seem to be patting yourself on the back more than apologising.

They’ve already apologised.....how many tines / ways do you want them to do it?

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, junior fan said:

So am I reading this right that the Peterbourgh promotion let Lakeside replace a rider that last visit scored zero , with a rider that last visit scored 9.

Junior

Not sure Peterborough get to approve the opposition team. If it’s within the rules then they have no say whatsoever. Whether it’s in the spirit of the sport etc is another matter. 

Edited by Sully

Difficult match with lots of problems but Lakeside won fair and square on aggregate so good luck to them, nice to see we got the match fully completed and no bullsh$yte concerning curfews etc.

Onwards now to the next chapter as we look towards the play Off semi finals next weekend, all to play for with honours even after the first two ties in the KOC cup and Championship Shield.

Peterborough got through the meeting despite most difficult circumstances.

Well done GED and Peterborough in general... other promoters may have given up or gone for abandonment with result standing.

• Like 4