British Speedway Forum
bigcatdiary

Peterborough v Lakeside KOC, CS SF & Play Off SF 6th/7th Oct

36 minutes ago, TonyE said:

In most cases, the GP can be recorded. Weather, however, looks to be a big issue given the forecast.

I agree. I would never miss live sport to stay at home and watch TV,  but there are plenty that think otherwise.

I suppose it would be to much for them to notify fans with a new date with the likely hood of a cancelation on saturday so that fans can make plans to attend in advance..??

Yes all those weeks in the summer when the weather was kind, and we end up in a rush to get meetings done in October where the weather turns and even if it’s dry, it’s cold and breezy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cityrebel said:

Peterborough are riding at scunny tomorrow.

Quite right. Should have re-checked the fixture list as the match wasn't there when I last looked.

52 minutes ago, marko said:

Yes all those weeks in the summer when the weather was kind, and we end up in a rush to get meetings done in October where the weather turns and even if it’s dry, it’s cold and breezy.

The only date Lakeside could be blamed over was v Glasgow, 7th July, due to World Cup. There were two Friday away fixtures in June and three at home, then in July the only home match was v Sheffield on 13th. 20th was the Championship pairs then 27th v Peterborough was ruled out by the BSPA.  Now we come to August managing just one again v Ipswich on the 3rd. The 10th v Peterborough and 24th v Newcastle were rained off whilst the scheduled trip to Workington on 17th cancelled at short notice by Rob Godfrey and his chums.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, waco said:

I suppose it would be to much for them to notify fans with a new date with the likely hood of a cancelation on saturday so that fans can make plans to attend in advance..??

If it is rained off, next Saturday is no good as Peterborough are already hosting Scunthorpe in the final leg of the KOC. It cannot be allowed to drag on to the 20th so they may have to consider this Sunday instead, midday start.

1 hour ago, waco said:

Unless the weather reports are regular I can see the attendance hit quite hard as the GP will affect it as well.

Gp wins for me this saturday/hopefully tai can add too his world titles, don't think i could stomach another lakeside vs peterborough meeting at the mo

• Like 2

8 hours ago, tocha said:

The only date Lakeside could be blamed over was v Glasgow, 7th July, due to World Cup. There were two Friday away fixtures in June and three at home, then in July the only home match was v Sheffield on 13th. 20th was the Championship pairs then 27th v Peterborough was ruled out by the BSPA.  Now we come to August managing just one again v Ipswich on the 3rd. The 10th v Peterborough and 24th v Newcastle were rained off whilst the scheduled trip to Workington on 17th cancelled at short notice by Rob Godfrey and his chums.

Not apportioning blame to any particular party but simply saying that there were weeks we didn’t run, sometimes because of other sporting events, but now we are running head to head with another sporting event anyway, except in October staying in is a lot more an attractive option.

3 hours ago, barraider said:

Gp wins for me this saturday/hopefully tai can add too his world titles, don't think i could stomach another lakeside vs peterborough meeting at the mo

I will be working so don’t have the choice, however if I had I would probably have stayed at home, The idea of going to Rye and tainting  my lasting memory of the Hammers for 2018 is also a consideration, that last meeting against Glasgow is a very happy memory, also the fact I have heard nothing but bad things about the track at Rye does not inspire me.

On 10/1/2018 at 3:18 AM, stevehone said:

it wasn't just about that though, it was making sure ALL races were completed and not ripping off the public

So having to sit through nearly 3 hours to watch just 15 minutes or so of actual racing is ok?  :nono:

I'd argue that that should be filed under "Ripping Off The Paying Public" ..... and at least half the crowd thought so, judging by how many went home.  

Edited by PE7Panther
  • Like 1

On 10/2/2018 at 3:56 PM, wealdstone said:

Panthers did not lose through cheating , shady tactics or anything of the like. On the day Lakeside were the better team . Panthers we know were beset with injuries  but poor choice of guests were our downfall. I am not sure whether a guest was available for BWD or whether R/R  was the only option.

Can't help feeling  that the rush to get temporary lighting on Sunday while laudable was more to make a point than give fans their monies worth. Many were content and indeed did go home

spot on.  :t:

On 10/2/2018 at 4:11 PM, NeilWatson said:

The ‘rush to get temporary lighting’ was because it was the right thing to do. Only eleven heats completed, with fourteen still to go and all still to race for in both meetings.

"rush" ????  What rush?! 

The central point of the criticisms I've been making is that it took far too long.  You keep swerving that  :rolleyes: 

By the way, where do you get fourteen from?  Unless my memory is playing tricks, the floodlights failed after Heat 11.  So still to go were heats 12, 13,14 & 15.   I make that FOUR.  And we were 32-34 down at that point, which was 12 down (72-84) on aggregate.  And that, in turn, left us with only a very remote chance of going through.  It'd take three 5-1 wins on the trot to make it a last heat decider.  Now you may well argue that it was "all still to race for" but that I'd say you'd be in la-la land!  Let's not forget that Panthers had only four heat winners and just ONE heat advantage up to that point -and that was in Heat 2 against their reserve pair.  Even then it was only because Kasper Andersen overdid it on the 4th bend when miles ahead of our pair.  So you can call it "all still to race for" if you want, but I doubt if anybody else sees it that way, and certainly not the hundreds who went home.   

I tend to agree with Wealdstone when he suggests it maybe had more to do with point-scoring of a different kind.  I reckon that uppermost in the thoughts of Ged & Co were along the lines of:  "We ain't gonna win this, but if it's called off now they'll be pointing the finger back at us and we'll be a larfing stock, so get the effing lights sorted and let's get the meeting completed".  

Edited by PE7Panther

36 minutes ago, PE7Panther said:

"rush" ????  What rush?! 

The central point of the criticisms I've been making is that it took far too long.  You keep swerving that  :rolleyes: 

By the way, where do you get fourteen from?  Unless my memory is playing tricks, the floodlights failed after Heat 11.  So still to go were heats 12, 13,14 & 15.   I make that FOUR.  And we were 32-34 down at that point, which was 12 down (72-84) on aggregate.  And that, in turn, left us with only a very remote chance of going through.  It'd take three 5-1 wins on the trot to make it a last heat decider.  Now you may well argue that it was "all still to race for" but that I'd say you'd be in la-la land!  Let's not forget that Panthers had only four heat winners and just ONE heat advantage up to that point -and that was in Heat 2 against their reserve pair.  Even then it was only because Kasper Andersen overdid it on the 4th bend when miles ahead of our pair.  So you can call it "all still to race for" if you want, but I doubt if anybody else sees it that way, and certainly not the hundreds who went home.   

I tend to agree with Wealdstone when he suggests it maybe had more to do with point-scoring of a different kind.  I reckon that uppermost in the thoughts of Ged & Co were along the lines of:  "We ain't gonna win this, but if it's called off now they'll be pointing the finger back at us and we'll be a larfing stock, so get the effing lights sorted and let's get the meeting completed".  

You are not taking into account  that there was a junior match to follow after the main meeting, those lads were there right from the start of the meeting waiting eagerly for there chance to get some racing in . So well done Ged you did the right thing getting the temp lights in action and i'm sure Ged would have wanted the minimum delay for all supporters.  It was unfortunate it took so long to get the lights ready  so give him some credit  instead of knocking him for doing the right thing for all concerned.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, New era Panthers said:

You are not taking into account  that there was a junior match to follow after the main meeting, those lads were there right from the start of the meeting waiting eagerly for there chance to get some racing in . So well done Ged you did the right thing getting the temp lights in action and i'm sure Ged would have wanted the minimum delay for all supporters.  It was unfortunate it took so long to get the lights ready  so give him some credit  instead of knocking him for doing the right thing for all concerned.

I did see that mentioned in one report and agree that that was very noble if the reason but that does seem to have dropped off the news item and the ET article where it only says "But we’ve got a duty to the supporters who have paid to come in to give them fifteen heats".

• Like 1