British Speedway Forum
bigcatdiary

Peterborough v Lakeside KOC, CS SF & Play Off SF 6th/7th Oct

PE7Panther makes some good points.

It would appear that a lot of the crowd had made up their minds that the result of the tie had already been decided and, after waiting for some time, decided to go home when the delay became protracted. Hindsight is a wonderful thing and the promotion were between a rock and a hard place. Keeping the public informed is of paramount importance and, on the face of it, this could have been better on the night.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TonyE said:

PE7Panther makes some good points.

It would appear that a lot of the crowd had made up their minds that the result of the tie had already been decided and, after waiting for some time, decided to go home when the delay became protracted. Hindsight is a wonderful thing and the promotion were between a rock and a hard place. Keeping the public informed is of paramount importance and, on the face of it, this could have been better on the night.

Not just on the night for the regulars. Over the last 5 years (don't remember many during the Frost era or before that) there have been many lengthy delays and communication is usually not sufficient.

Edited by Crump99

Forecast for tomorrow is even more daunting now, if it does what the met office expect, then no chance.

1 hour ago, marko said:

Forecast for tomorrow is even more daunting now, if it does what the met office expect, then no chance.

I just hope the decision is made early, I hate all the uncertainty.

2 hours ago, cityrebel said:

I just hope the decision is made early, I hate all the uncertainty.

Considering that neither website has a preview for the meeting (Lakeside especially as the home side with just over 24 hours to go) I'd say that your wish will be granted unless there's some miraculous turnaround in the predicted weather: currently still wall to wall rain

With a forecast like that (significant rainfall from 10am and throughout the rest of the day), I would say calling it off as early as possible (tonight hopefully) would be appreciated by riders and fans alike. Very unfortunate for the home promotion, the band of rain is coming through at exactly the worst possible time.

5 hours ago, Crump99 said:

Considering that neither website has a preview for the meeting (Lakeside especially as the home side with just over 24 hours to go) I'd say that your wish will be granted unless there's some miraculous turnaround in the predicted weather: currently still wall to wall rain

Preview is on Lakeside's website.

20 hours ago, New era Panthers said:

You are not taking into account  that there was a junior match to follow after the main meeting, those lads were there right from the start of the meeting waiting eagerly for there chance to get some racing in . So well done Ged you did the right thing getting the temp lights in action and i'm sure Ged would have wanted the minimum delay for all supporters.  It was unfortunate it took so long to get the lights ready  so give him some credit  instead of knocking him for doing the right thing for all concerned.

Two points in response:

1. They could have called off the main meeting, and those (few) who wanted to stay on and wait for the Juniors could have done so. 

2. My main point, my main criticism, is how long it took to get the temp lights sorted.   

2 minutes ago, PE7Panther said:

Two points in response:

1. They could have called off the main meeting, and those (few) who wanted to stay on and wait for the Juniors could have done so. 

2. My main point, my main criticism, is how long it took to get the temp lights sorted.   

I dont think that is an option

If the main meeting was halted I dont think the juniors could be run as it would be meeting closed

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, PE7Panther said:

Two points in response:

1 If a meeting is abandoned no further track action is permitted - so that wouldn’t have been possible.

2 Miracles we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.....

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Crump99 said:

I did see that mentioned in one report and agree that that was very noble if the reason but that does seem to have dropped off the news item and the ET article where it only says "But we’ve got a duty to the supporters who have paid to come in to give them fifteen heats".

Yeah, the Juniors thing is a very handy thing to hang their hats on afterwards.  I stand by my contention in a previous post (qv) about what was uppermost in their thoughts at the time.  Ged gave the game away when he was 'venting' on the mike.  I didn't hear him mention the Juniors meeting; it was all about petty point-scoring (no pun intended)against Lakeside.    

Surely nobody can argue against my criticism that it took far too long to get the temp lights sorted, and that it was an embarrassing f**k-up.   

Edited by PE7Panther

5 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

I dont think that is an option

If the main meeting was halted I dont think the juniors could be run as it would be meeting closed

ok, so call it off and let us all go home!!!! It wouldn't be the first time that a junior meeting didn't go ahead as planned.  

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, NeilWatson said:

1 If a meeting is abandoned no further track action is permitted - so that wouldn’t have been possible.

2 Miracles we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.....

2. Nobody's talking about expecting miracles ffs!

1. And if, for whatever reason, you can't get the lights sorted fairly swiftly, call it off and let everybody go home.  It was, like I said in a previous post, like watching Fred Karno's Army!  

Did you not see how many (how few!) people were left once Heat 12 finally got underway?  Almost no kids.  Only the usual die-hards who'd stay until midnight if necessary.   

2 minutes ago, PE7Panther said:

ok, so call it off and let us all go home!!!! It wouldn't be the first time that a junior meeting didn't go ahead as planned.  

You are free to go home at any time,  some of us wanted to see the whole meeting and i'm quite happy to watch the juniors as well. If you felt so irritated by it you could have left the arena anytime you wanted without jeopardising those who were willing to stay for the continuation of the meeting

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, PE7Panther said:

You’re not locked in, go home. Constant delays are my biggest issue (and I would probably have left), but they finished the meeting and the juniors didn’t have a wasted journey. 

• Like 1