British Speedway Forum
bigcatdiary

Peterborough v Lakeside KOC, CS SF & Play Off SF 6th/7th Oct

41 minutes ago, New era Panthers said:

You are free to go home at any time,  some of us wanted to see the whole meeting and i'm quite happy to watch the juniors as well. If you felt so irritated by it you could have left the arena anytime you wanted without jeopardising those who were willing to stay for the continuation of the meeting

Hodgy's quite right when he says we're not locked in, and yeah of course we're all free to go home at any time.  But where do you draw the line? 

I don't think I'm the only one who, once the lights failed, never expected it'd take as long as it did to sort of out.  It's like waiting for a bus that never seems to come; when do you start walking?  You just *know* that it will appear around the corner just as you've walked too far to run back! 

Let's not forget they they seemed to get one set of lights working again quite quickly.  So people would be thinking, as I did, that they'd soon get the other one working and the delay wouldn't be too long.  Then one set went off again.  Then Fred Karno appeared with his van and set up a temp set of lights....delay...  then another set appeared.  So surely it'd start again soon.  But there were no clear announcements either way, just that they were hoping.   And no doubt there were a lot of "discussions" going on behind the scenes.  More delay.  Then they told us that another, third, set of temp lights were going to be fetched and that it would be put on the centre green to add more light to the still dark turn 3, and they it'd get going again.  But Fred K took it to the outside with the other two sets.  Then when he finally did take it to the infield, it was set at half-height with most of the light illuminating the flippin' grass, not the track.  With every minute that this farce was going on, more and more people left to go home.  And, since you ask, I was on the point of going home several times.  I turned back when Fred K raised that third set to full height and directed more light to the track itself.  And yet we were still left waiting.  I had just started to leave once again when the bikes started up - so I returned to my seat and stayed to the bitter end.  

As for that bit about "some of us wanted to see the whole meeting".  Nope; EVERYBODY wanted to see the whole meeting.  Very few want, or expect, 15 minutes of actual racing to be dragged out for three hours.  Hodgy is right when he says were not locked in We all know that 5h*t sometimes happens in speedway; it's usually crashes, air-fence repairs, ambulance delays.  But this was something that could have, and should have, been sorted out much, much quicker - for everybody's sake.  That means those who gave up and went home and those who stayed on. 

If anybody is thinking it was so people would get to see the full 15 heats, and then the juniors races, they're being a bit naieve.  As Crump99 says, that'd be very noble.  But I tend to agree with Wealdstone; it was more to do with face-saving, after the petty scorn that Panthers had aimed at Lakeside.     

Edited by PE7Panther

PE7 still trying trying desperately to get a laugh from his Fred Karno references I see.  

Edited by Noodles

24 minutes ago, Noodles said:

PE7 still trying trying desperately to get a laugh from his Fred Karno references I see.  

Yes if the hole gets much deeper he will have a job climbing out.

Covatti and Stewart guesting for Scott and Bacon with Emil returning and RR for BWD.

Need to keep this as close as possible. They all need to be firing!

2 minutes ago, liam said:

Todays meeting has been called off, moved to next Sunday.

Sensible decision.

24 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

Sensible decision.

So Sunday, 14th October it is then and we may now see our home season concluded on Sundays now. Workington have us visiting on the 20th as a double-header, Shield final and the outstanding league match then, depending on how we have done by next Sunday, one of their matches may become the PO final leg with the return on 21st. So we could find ourselves back at Workington the following Saturday then back here on 28th.

9 minutes ago, tocha said:

So Sunday, 14th October it is then and we may now see our home season concluded on Sundays now. Workington have us visiting on the 20th as a double-header, Shield final and the outstanding league match then, depending on how we have done by next Sunday, one of their matches may become the PO final leg with the return on 21st. So we could find ourselves back at Workington the following Saturday then back here on 28th.

My season was done when we beat Glasgow at Lakeside then, was thinking of going Rye tonight but Sunday afternoons I can’t do. Such a shame that a season which started so positive has ended like this for me. 

So the second leg of the Play Off Semi-Final will be at Rye House - pretty sure that is not what Peterborough envisaged when choosing us.

It all seems so crazy after a more than decent Summer, everyone is now running around trying to fit fixtures in.

13 minutes ago, TonyE said:

So the second leg of the Play Off Semi-Final will be at Rye House - pretty sure that is not what Peterborough envisaged when choosing us.

It all seems so crazy after a more than decent Summer, everyone is now running around trying to fit fixtures in.

Nothing new though is it, good summer or otherwise.

11 minutes ago, TonyE said:

How do you know if the weather will hold out this or next weekend , could we be going into November , not sure about who would be available for NO1but if it goes on much longer we will be able to get Father Christmas to make a guest appearance.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Doesn't the season close at the end of October?

And, no - it is nothing new but no one appears to learn the lessons of previous seasons. They are all still making it up as they go along.

21 minutes ago, bigcatdiary said:

Nothing new though is it, good summer or otherwise.

True but it sure buggers up one excuse.

5 hours ago, Panthers89 said:

Covatti and Stewart guesting for Scott and Bacon with Emil returning and RR for BWD.

Need to keep this as close as possible. They all need to be firing!

Going on the managements choice of guests criteria how far back did they need go to find Covattis last scores at Rye

50 minutes ago, scoobydoo said:

Going on the managements choice of guests criteria how far back did they need go to find Covattis last scores at Rye

2016 I believe, Ipswich twice scoring 15 (includes 4 point tactical ride) and 4.