British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sidney the robin

How have the young guns done in 2018.?

Drew Kemp is the big stand out in 2018 but others have done well and these are the riders that i have kept an eye on.It will be interesting to hear your views on how you feel they are doing.         Kemp- Mountain- Thomas- Rowe- Atkins- Hume- Spooner- Marston- Kinsley - Lawlor- Brennan- Brooks-Edwards-Jenkins any thoughts.?

Kemp - massive improvement 

mountain - improved out and out number 1 

thomas - establishes heat leader not quite a #1 yet but expect him to be at that stage end of this season. 

Rowe - has impressed me, can’t see him going much further in the ladder but done better than I ever imagined - well done 

Atkins - very impressive especially around Plymouth & the very slick tracks. 

Hume - I wonder if he will ever get a crack at speedway as he always gets injured unfortunately. 

Spooner - definitely stepped up as one of the better reserves 

Marson - a good reserve I can’t see him being much better than a second string away from Mildenhall though, has quite an awkward riding style I noticed at Cradley. 

Kinsley - heeps of improvement. Still really a second string though I don’t think he’s a solid heat leader yet especially away from mildenhall

lawlor - very inconsistent but he can ride bv as quick as Bickley 

brennan - watched him round Eastbourne he can be untouchable. Expect him to make the jump up a league next year. 

Brooks - looks to have learned how to gate, he does get very close to the fence at times. 

Edwards - overlooked by many as not quite flint or Kemp but he is very good makes it look effortless. 

Jenkins - looking back to his best, doesn’t seem to be as potent away from west row but still puts in a strong shift 

future looks bright for these kids you think you could have an U18 team of 

kemp brennan Bickley Jenkins 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TurnTwo said:

Kemp - massive improvement 

mountain - improved out and out number 1 

thomas - establishes heat leader not quite a #1 yet but expect him to be at that stage end of this season. 

Rowe - has impressed me, can’t see him going much further in the ladder but done better than I ever imagined - well done 

Atkins - very impressive especially around Plymouth & the very slick tracks. 

Hume - I wonder if he will ever get a crack at speedway as he always gets injured unfortunately. 

Spooner - definitely stepped up as one of the better reserves 

Marson - a good reserve I can’t see him being much better than a second string away from Mildenhall though, has quite an awkward riding style I noticed at Cradley. 

Kinsley - heeps of improvement. Still really a second string though I don’t think he’s a solid heat leader yet especially away from mildenhall

lawlor - very inconsistent but he can ride bv as quick as Bickley 

brennan - watched him round Eastbourne he can be untouchable. Expect him to make the jump up a league next year. 

Brooks - looks to have learned how to gate, he does get very close to the fence at times. 

Edwards - overlooked by many as not quite flint or Kemp but he is very good makes it look effortless. 

Jenkins - looking back to his best, doesn’t seem to be as potent away from west row but still puts in a strong shift 

future looks bright for these kids you think you could have an U18 team of 

kemp brennan Bickley Jenkins 

Interesting what you say about Kinsley away from home.Has a higher away average than Hume and Brennan.

There aren't many 2nd strings who have an average of 7.5 lol

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, adz_mft said:

Interesting what you say about Kinsley away from home.Has a higher away average than Hume and Brennan.

There aren't many 2nd strings who have an average of 7.5 lol

Kinsley is better than a second string and I have been very impressed with the amount he has improved. However when comparing away averages, Kinsley has ridden 6 out of his 8 away meetings at number 2, the easier second string position. Whereas Brennan has ridden all of his away meeting in a heat leader position, with 4/6 of those meetings a either number 1 or 5. Hume did only ride 4 away meetings with 3/4 of those at number 5. Kinsley has also ridden away at both Stoke and Buxton but Brennan and Hume have ridden at neither.

My biggest disappointment was Jack Smith, though he would come on a lot, but in fact went backwards, maybe because he rode in all 3 Leagues at the start of the Season 

1 hour ago, eaglesno1 said:

Kinsley is better than a second string and I have been very impressed with the amount he has improved. However when comparing away averages, Kinsley has ridden 6 out of his 8 away meetings at number 2, the easier second string position. Whereas Brennan has ridden all of his away meeting in a heat leader position, with 4/6 of those meetings a either number 1 or 5. Hume did only ride 4 away meetings with 3/4 of those at number 5. Kinsley has also ridden away at both Stoke and Buxton but Brennan and Hume have ridden at neither.

Beat me to it 

• Like 1

Question is which ones will or are capable of stepping  up to a championship reserve birth next season 

Kemp- already has no brainer .

Thomas- has been at Glasgow this season possibly a year too early but hopefully they stick with him and kick on

Flint - could do a job at number 7 possibly for berwick . No Pressure he could chip in with 2/3 points a meeting 

Mountain/ Hume -  Already relatively established champ riders 

Bickley - been at workington this season not really kicked on from last season again i think a season to early maybe

Of the others i expect only Brennan and Jenkins to make the step up in 2019 and it will be tough for them guys also..

2 hours ago, ProudtobeaBrummie said:

Question is which ones will or are capable of stepping  up to a championship reserve birth next season 

Kemp- already has no brainer .

Thomas- has been at Glasgow this season possibly a year too early but hopefully they stick with him and kick on

Flint - could do a job at number 7 possibly for berwick . No Pressure he could chip in with 2/3 points a meeting 

Mountain/ Hume -  Already relatively established champ riders 

Bickley - been at workington this season not really kicked on from last season again i think a season to early maybe

Of the others i expect only Brennan and Jenkins to make the step up in 2019 and it will be tough for them guys also..

Really interesting what you say for most ask Bickley moving to Championship level how difficult it i s a big ask.Brennan i have seen only once this year see him as a youth rider but he has real ability a nice style.Jenkins is the same he has had a difficult year this year but he will be fine out of the others i like Rowe and Edwards both can move forward.

Edited by Sidney the robin

2 hours ago, eaglesno1 said:

That's fair enough but he still meets every rider,the same as Brennan/Hume.Kinsley also went straight to number 1 for 4 meetings.Granted he struggled slightly but has had a cracking season overall.2 big scores at Kent and was on track for a max against Cradley if you take out the Stoke and Buxton meetings.Certainly done beyond what I think anyone was expecting including himself. It's amazing what a bit of confidence can do for a rider