British Speedway Forum
Coventry_Bee

Speedway vs Moto GP

This discussion may well of happened on here before so apologies if it has... But.....

My Twitter feed has gone mad today with the "action" from the Moto GP race and the close action. I have watched the clip and although I now and again watch it if it's on I just don't get the mass appeal over it? The hype and circus that follows it (not as bad as F1) very rarely lives Upto the expectations. Maybe it's my speedway biased view but for close racing and action I think speedway as a whole is by far a better product than Moto GP?

Don't get me wrong you do get some exciting racing in the Moto GP but it's absolutely drooled over, in the past few weeks we have seen racing from Belle Vue that has been on a different level to what I have ever seen. Speedway racing has never been in a worse state but the racing now is better than in the 60's, 70's and 80's when it was at its peak. The introduction of the air fence has riders throwing the bikes at each other and yes you get rubbish meeting but you get rubbish Moto GP races. The simple fact of 4 riders and 4 laps hasn't changed yet supporters have walked away from the sport in alarming numbers.

The world has changed so much with so much more to do in people's leisure time but most sports grow such and maybe the supporters have been lost to Rugby, Ice Hockey where you see supporters going as families rather than speedway where it's mainly the older generation. In Sweden you see families but for some reason the sport here has been run like the dark ages and sadly been left in them. The AGM will no doubt be classed as "one of the most important in years". We hear this every winter and yet we still find clubs closing and supporters lost to the sport. 

We have such a fantastic sport, I can't even begin to tell you how much I miss going to Brandon. I just hope when we get (and we will) the stadium back that speedway is in a better position than it is today. The committee are trying so much to save stox and speedway and as much as the stox crowds have always been absolutely amazing at Coventry it would be much better for us and all clubs to have an organisation with a vision for the future and not scraping through year by year.

• Like 2

I love watching moto gp being a biker myself I still can't understand how they get the bikes at the angles they do but rarely do you get races like the one this weekend so my first choice would always be speedway. Like yourself i actually think the racing today especially the gps (well some of them) is as good if not better than the rose tinted days. The promotion of the sport and running of meetings is generally a shambles

• Like 3

The skill level and ability of the top MotoGP riders is amazing .Just like in speedway certain Moto GP venues produce better races , this weekends track usually produces good racing over all three classes . I'd always have a preference for speedway though.

• Like 1

I would class myself as a bike fan ,I can’t stand any other sports other than bike sports but I only watch MotoGP with a fleeting glance, of its on I will watch it but I don’t make a point of watching, however speedway to me is everything, I actually think standing next to a speedway bike warming up is a magical sound, nothing comes close to speedway, my life would be empty without it and I can’t say that about MotoGP 

1 hour ago, Coventry_Bee said:

This discussion may well of happened on here before so apologies if it has... But.....

My Twitter feed has gone mad today with the "action" from the Moto GP race and the close action. I have watched the clip and although I now and again watch it if it's on I just don't get the mass appeal over it? The hype and circus that follows it (not as bad as F1) very rarely lives Upto the expectations. Maybe it's my speedway biased view but for close racing and action I think speedway as a whole is by far a better product than Moto GP?

Don't get me wrong you do get some exciting racing in the Moto GP but it's absolutely drooled over, in the past few weeks we have seen racing from Belle Vue that has been on a different level to what I have ever seen. Speedway racing has never been in a worse state but the racing now is better than in the 60's, 70's and 80's when it was at its peak. The introduction of the air fence has riders throwing the bikes at each other and yes you get rubbish meeting but you get rubbish Moto GP races. The simple fact of 4 riders and 4 laps hasn't changed yet supporters have walked away from the sport in alarming numbers.

The world has changed so much with so much more to do in people's leisure time but most sports grow such and maybe the supporters have been lost to Rugby, Ice Hockey where you see supporters going as families rather than speedway where it's mainly the older generation. In Sweden you see families but for some reason the sport here has been run like the dark ages and sadly been left in them. The AGM will no doubt be classed as "one of the most important in years". We hear this every winter and yet we still find clubs closing and supporters lost to the sport. 

We have such a fantastic sport, I can't even begin to tell you how much I miss going to Brandon. I just hope when we get (and we will) the stadium back that speedway is in a better position than it is today. The committee are trying so much to save stox and speedway and as much as the stox crowds have always been absolutely amazing at Coventry it would be much better for us and all clubs to have an organisation with a vision for the future and not scraping through year by year.

If watching on Tv the main action is focussed on the leaders,if you attend you see a whole lot more exciting racing all down the field ,plus you get 4/5 hours entertainment for your money,a day at the British Super bikes is well worth the money.

Think most fans will agree BV is the exception to the rule these days,great racing most weeks.

Edited by Fromafar

I like bikes full stop and all racing has good and bad days. With sports other than Speedway I think that TV makes them look better because if the leader clears off they can usually find somebody racing even if it's for 15th place. I think the Speedway GP's are brilliant entertainment but like Moto GP equally, for me though the best racing is BSB where there is very little in the way of rider aids.

I'd agree that the Speedway we see now can be better than I've ever seen in the past but a bad meeting can be dire. Generally Speedway, with the exception of the GP would be better served by highlights programs in my opinion.

For many I think the popularity of Road Racing is about seeing bikes they or their mates have doing amazing things (OK they might not be the same but they look like it).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Vince said:

I like bikes full stop and all racing has good and bad days. With sports other than Speedway I think that TV makes them look better because if the leader clears off they can usually find somebody racing even if it's for 15th place. I think the Speedway GP's are brilliant entertainment but like Moto GP equally, for me though the best racing is BSB where there is very little in the way of rider aids.

I'd agree that the Speedway we see now can be better than I've ever seen in the past but a bad meeting can be dire. Generally Speedway, with the exception of the GP would be better served by highlights programs in my opinion.

For many I think the popularity of Road Racing is about seeing bikes they or their mates have doing amazing things (OK they might not be the same but they look like it).

...I would agree entirely. 

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

Moto GP is pretty ordinary racing wise, better than F1 but similar in that the hype is often greater than the action. However Moto 3 is fantastic, there are passes on every part of the track each lap usually, almost too many! And because the riders are mostly teenagers they are generally more daring.

Would take a good speedway meeting over any of that though, although they seem to be few and far between nowadays. 

• Like 1

I enjoy car and bike racing but having been to both on circuits and ovals would always choose Stock Cars and Speedway over anything the places like Brands Hatch and Silverstone can dish up. 

The fact that on an Oval you can see all of the race but on a circuit the race flashes past every however long they take to do a lap is a big factor for me. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

I would class myself as a bike fan ,I can’t stand any other sports other than bike sports but I only watch MotoGP with a fleeting glance, of its on I will watch it but I don’t make a point of watching, however speedway to me is everything, I actually think standing next to a speedway bike warming up is a magical sound, nothing comes close to speedway, my life would be empty without it and I can’t say that about MotoGP 

Luckily there will be for a good few years left in speedway in Sweden and Poland ( well definitely Poland ) and hopefully the GP. The UK speedway scene is teetering on the edge, so who knows genuinely how long that we will be able to watch team speedway here unless it's at a semi-pro level.

Speedway is my main sporting interest but I do watch the odd Moto GP if I'm at a loose end, have no mechanical knowledge whatsoever but that doesn't hamper my enjoyment.  I used to watch Superbikes when Foggy was on the scene and I absolutely loved those Sundays, probably more to do with buying into the character than anything else, he was brilliant for promoting the sport imo and raced like we all wished we could, his battles with the likes of Frankie Chili and Corser were enthralling.  Once he retired I did keep tuning in but didn't last more than a couple of months, never watched it since.

Edited by nw42
grammar

I'm a massive moto gp ..world and British superbike fan.  Being a biker myself it amazes me and the speeds and sound and acceleration are out of this world. Like someone said above though, moto 3 is the best.  Rossi is a world wide phenomenon, selling more merchandise world wide than football teams.   Speedway was always my first love though...until a few years ago, now my interest gets less each season,  although the gp's can be brilliant with brilliant racing.

All the daft stupid rules and self interest of some, added to the boring nearly always follow my leader racing in a stadium full of old people and no atmosphere and of any sorts has started to take its toll over the last few years.. Maybe next season I won't go at all.

• Like 1

I am an ex road-racer from the mid 70's to early 80's era and have been spectating at speedway meetings since 1973. Never tried speedway as not brave enough! :o

Although having competed at national level racing I always preferred to watch speedway rather than GP/ MotoGP racing mainly for the team aspect of speedway racing. i think this holds a special dimension for the sport and although I enjoy individual meetings it is the team nature that holds my interest.

Having said all that I now prefer to watch MotoGP rather than speedway on TV or live. I think MotoGP has come along way in respect of the way riders ride the bikes and the technology used. I went to Mugello this year with my wife and the atmosphere was electrifying and we have a fantastic weekend watching the qualifying and races.It is my opinion but speedway can't match that now. I raced in the era of Barry Sheene, Kenny Roberts, Phil Read and Ago but I reckon the Speedway World Finals and big meetings of that time were much more enjoyable to watch than the road race meetings.

• Like 2

netball is far more exciting than speedway/moto G.P. , JUST!

Post the same question on a MotoGP forum, and I dare say you will get their regulars saying that speedway is just "first out the gate wins", and they will laud their sport to the rafters.

Different strokes for different folk.

• Like 2